dishpointer on droid

I have used dp on my ios for years. Just bought a Samsung droid, loaded dp, no free version. I can't get it to work at all.

First, write up says I should get email with key to enter, never got that but there is no place to enter it any way.

When I bring it up says no location no sats, I need to tap it to get numbers there. Once I do that I can see the arc and the SATs but the location is all wrong. I accidentally swiped the screen and could move the SATs any place I wanted.

Help

Thanks

I have the DP app on my LG L34C phone running Android 4.4, and it works as advertised. I recalibrate the magnetometer (compass) sensor before each use though, since the magnetic catch on my belt case throws it off. Other than operating the various function buttons, touching the screen does not make any changes to my screen when viewing the sats.

You might find some help at DishPointer.com

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

That is interesting that it works the same. I don't even have the compass option. My first screen shows list

, settings and capture. Settings showsca calibrate but that hasn't anything to do with a compass. It just sets level(never had to do that before).

I have tried dishpointer.com and the support forum at satellite guys. Silence, no response.

If your phone does not support compass use, the DP app will not work correctly. Both GPS and compass functions are required. Have you tried downloading one of the free compass apps to see if it works? There's a procedure for calibrating a magnetometer (compass) equipped phone that's not specific to the DP app.

Dutch

I have downloaded a compass app. but it seems that my whole install is different for whatever reason. No where in the documentation nor in the download did it say it wouldn't work without an internal compass. I feel it should be checking for these things during the install. I find the support is horrible.

I'll keep plugging away at this app, but I am very disappointed in the app, the $$ and the support.

After a lot more research my cell doesn't have a magnetic sensor therefore it can't support a compass. I will hopefully return it and get a different phone. Still don't think the app should even install without all the components on the phone.

Thanks for the help.

I have downloaded a compass app. but it seems that my whole install is different for whatever reason. No where in the documentation nor in the download did it say it wouldn't work without an internal compass. I feel it should be checking for these things during the install. I find the support is horrible.

I'll keep plugging away at this app, but I am very disappointed in the app, the $$ and the support.

Did you miss this line on the page I linked to?

"Note that the app requires Android OS 1.5 and later, a camera, accelerometers (motion sensors) and a digital hardware compass."

Once you have a phone that meets the requirements, I think you'll find that little if any vendor support is needed for the DP app.

Dutch

I didn't know the phone didn't have a compass until I started going around in circles trying to get Dishpointer to work. I did download as part of this a compass and when I went to run it told me I didn't have the magnommeter. That lead me to figuring out I didn't have an internal compass. I still feel that Dishpointer shoud have waved a flag about he compass, it must check for one.

I didn't know the phone didn't have a compass until I started going around in circles trying to get Dishpointer to work. I did download as part of this a compass and when I went to run it told me I didn't have the magnommeter. That lead me to figuring out I didn't have an internal compass. I still feel that Dishpointer shoud have waved a flag about he compass, it must check for one.

I guess you would have to take up the missing sensor issue with Alan, the app developer. One problem might be that many phones that don't support a magnetometer do in fact have one in the multi-sensor chip set used, but not the firmware to support it. Some of the sensor testing apps will report its presence, but just not show any output from it. That might be problematic from a non-rooted programming perspective.

Dutch

Archived