Sirius Radio Reception

We enjoy Sirius radio stateside but the reception here in Alaska runs from very poor to none existent. Is there anything I can do to improve the reception to our Silverado? Perhaps an improved antenna or amplifier? Its current antennas are the factory shark-fin on the roof and the corkscrew whip on the fender.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I don't have a clear shot at the horizon due to tree cover in Wisconsin and have the same problem. I am headed to Yellowstone and may have the same problem. I may see if I can suspend my service for a period of time. They did not offer me any solutions when I talked to them awhile back about cancelling but I did get a better price.

If you're using the built-in Sirius receiver in the Chevy, you're pretty much boned. If using a suction cup mounted receiver, that broadcasts an FM signal, you might be able to get a better signal by mounting the magnetic antenna as high as possible. It may also help to mount it vertically, instead of the recommended horizontal. If you're in a valley, forget it. You need to see the true horizon as best as possible, as that's where the birds are.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If you have a good internet connection you might consider buying a Pandora unit for music and other things. Works great for me.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I use this Sirius antenna for home use in our B+ along with a receiver dock similar to this, for the receiver normally in our Sport Trac toad. Worked well for us on our Alaska Trip in 2013 as I could change the angle of reception with the antenna sitting on the B+'s dash.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

I checked out some of the add on antennas online and will likely give one a try (leaning toward the small directional teacher's pet linked but will need to figure a way to mount it).

We have good internet once stationary in Alaska and have listened to Pandora for years but while traveling the Alcan either direction internet is mostly nonexistent.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Ours isn't mounted, I routed the cable under the door trim and can realign the antenna toward the horizon if necessary, since it sits on the dash unmounted.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

• 3 weeks later...

I used a pie plate strategically placed behind a magnetic roof puck clinging to a flattened screw in the roof railing the last time in AK. Had a signal at the Hotspot Cafe on the haul road. Much fiddling though. Now using a Browning and will experiment with 4" & 6" aluminum ducting for a reflector when north next time.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Archived