Backup camera

Dasman321

In general the wireless systems are not reliable. They can/will work for awhile and then randomly drop out. Sometimes for quite a while. Perhaps some of the expensive commercial systems would be reliable. But since you have to supply power to them, why not just run all the wires together, and use a reliable hardwired system?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have a wired camera in our fifth wheel and it wasn't that hard to install. I mounted the camera inside and above the rear window, it's hidden under the window valance out of sight. The cable runs along the window frame which being black is also hidden, then to the floor. The cable runs through a rear floor vent into a rear compartment then through the only hole I drilled to the underside of the camper. Now the cable runs along the frame to the LP compartment and is snaked through to the pin box where it ends. The monitor is mounted in the cab under the ash tray and has a 12' cable that I store under the rear floor mat or gets run out the door to the pin box when needed. I always try to install items with the ideal that they could be removed leaving little trace, in this case I only have one small hole that is caulked and hidden under the compartment carpet.

Greg

I have been using a wireless - yes, wireless - camera for about 4 years now. I have a 40' 5th wheel. It is a Voyager system.

I did add the antenna to the camera, running the wire through the belly of the 5er and up into the basement with the mag-mountantenna stuck onto the frame behind the 12V distribution panel.

I mounted the camera on the rear cap above the window and power it from the power to the marker lights. Therefore, I must run with my lights on - not a bad idea - to use the camera.

Prior to adding the antenna, I did have a very intermittent picture. With the antenna, it is very good.

John

John and Sharon
2011 HH 38LKTG
2001 4700LP
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel

In general the wireless systems are not reliable. They can/will work for awhile and then randomly drop out. Sometimes for quite a while. Perhaps some of the expensive commercial systems would be reliable. But since you have to supply power to them, why not just run all the wires together, and use a reliable hardwired system?

My 5er is pre wired for power so that's not an issue. I just don't want do have the extra wires running up the truck, one more thing for me to forget about and break.

I have been using a wireless - yes, wireless - camera for about 4 years now. I have a 40' 5th wheel. It is a Voyager system.

I did add the antenna to the camera, running the wire through the belly of the 5er and up into the basement with the mag-mountantenna stuck onto the frame behind the 12V distribution panel.

I mounted the camera on the rear cap above the window and power it from the power to the marker lights. Therefore, I must run with my lights on - not a bad idea - to use the camera.

Prior to adding the antenna, I did have a very intermittent picture. With the antenna, it is very good.

John

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking that I will run the video wires for the back camera to the front under the basement to minimize the distance for transmission.

Using one for 10 years on two 5th wheels . Hard wired system from Rv cams check them out. Would not leave home without it.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

HDT is short for Heavy Duty Truck. They are a class 8 (think semi) truck.

HDT is usually a class 7 or 8 truck. Class 7 goes from 26,001, to 33,000 GVWR and class 8 trucks are 33,001 and up. They are equipped with air brakes and for the most part are single axle or tandem axle semi;s like Tom noted.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived