Tires for 5W

charlyhors

Michelin XPS Ribs if you can make the weights work. They are fine on my Mountain Aire with duals (8 tires on 2 axles), but some people have found they are marginal on weight. I run the LT235/85R16 at 65 PSI on 9k axles.

Michelin RV Inflation Tables Note that this table has loads per axle end.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

It is very important to know...

1. The load carrying capacity of the tire (found on the sidewall of tire) - Max Load Single xxxx lbs @ xxx psi COLD Max Load Dual xxxx lbs. @ xxx psi COLD
  2. The actual load on each wheel position (possible differences on axle ends that are frequent in RVs)

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

It is very important to know...

1. The load carrying capacity of the tire (found on the sidewall of tire) - Max Load Single xxxx lbs @ xxx psi COLD Max Load Dual xxxx lbs. @ xxx psi COLD
  2. The actual load on each wheel position (possible differences on axle ends that are frequent in RVs)

With a well balanced 5w, with 2 axles and 4 tires, would the load be the GVW minus the hitch weight and that divided by 4?

The total would be correct. Load distribution and balance must also be accounted for. Seldom - if ever - are RV trailers going to have even distribution of their cargo weights. To be precise, each end of an axle needs to be weighed to insure it and the axle are not overloaded. (That's over the individual axle's GAWR).

Your correct tire inflation pressures are always going to be found on the tire placard. Those values found on the tire placard can be increased to accommodate unbalanced conditions. But, RV trailers normally use every bit of a tires load capacity in the recommended inflation pressures, so, balancing your trailer's load is very important. (Tire industry standards will never recommend using lower inflation pressures than what has been recommended for the Original Equipment tires).

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

Any other tire recommendations? I priced the Michelins at about $250 at both Tire Rack online and at Discount Tires locally. Reviews state people are getting great mileage from these, but some of the review charts show other less expensive tires have even better ratings. Not sure which sites to trust on tire ratings though.

Get the best tire you can, money spent on tires reduces the chance of RV repairs from blowouts. Unless you tow all the time don't worry about tire wear, they will age out before they wear out. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

My Hitchhiker is about a thousand lbs lighter than yours but I'm having good results with Hankook 750 R16 LT tires. They are G rated, made in Korea, and I've been told by several shops that specialize in commercial trailer tires that they are excellent for the application. They are not cheap but seem to be worth the cost.

Russ

Michelin's are known for sidewall cracking, so I didn't consider that company. Goodyear and Michelin are both overpriced IMO. I bought 4 Sailun 235/85R16, load range G to replace the OEM tires and solved all my tire woes. U.S. dealers are hard to find to date, as this company is mainly in Canada, but I've found dealers for Carlisle tires usually also sell Sailun tires.

In order to utilize the LR G, your rims must be rated for 120psi.

Do not be deceived by load/inflation charts, they only show the absolute minimum air pressure to carry the corresponding load. For our 15,500# 5er, I ran 100psi in my Sailun tires.

I just made a decision to replace my aging Goodyear MH tires with Sailun truck tires; because of the great results I had running them on our 5er.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

It has been a long time since I was in the trailer tire market, but since I soon will be once more, I'd ask a question here. Is it not true that the reason trailer tires are so much lower in cost than are nearly any automobile tire the fact that they are more cheaply made and of lower quality? I believe the theory is that you don't need as good a quality tire for a trailer.

I have long used truck tires that have been replaced as tires for our equipment trailer and they have a good history of service there. That equipment trailer does not travel as fast as most RVs and it is usually a much shorter trip, but in other ways it is similar to an RV trailer. I would think that a cheaper truck tire would usually be better on a trailer than most tires that are marketed for trailers?? Any thoughts?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Firestone LT Transforce tyres have severed us very weli on D350 P/U and 5th. Mexico to Fairbanks on some very poor roads. Cost is about + %20. almost never on sale.

--

Peter & Anne-Marie Arnold, Full-timers since 2011

The National Camping Travelers, Camping Group for Masonic Families
2004 Bounder 38N, Diesel Pusher

2005 Toyota RAV4, 4cyl, Stick

500W of Solar with seldom used generator.

Hi All, I'm getting ready to replace my 5W tires. Present tires are LT235 85R16. It is a 2 axle, 14,100 GVW Hitchhiker. Any thoughts on best types and brands?

Figuring 20% pin weight you would have 11280 on the axles and if it's balanced evenly 2820 on each tire so you will be in the LT tire load range. I know lot of people that run Firestone Transforce HT tires on their trailers with good results and a reasonable price.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

With a well balanced 5w, with 2 axles and 4 tires, would the load be the GVW minus the hitch weight and that divided by 4?

Since we like a safety margin in our tires, we divide the GVW by the number of tires.

The pin weight is our margin. There are times when crossing humps that a wheel gets a greater load than the distributed average.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

charlyhors - sounds like you might have the same 5er we do, a HH 31.5LKTG. When we purchased ours a year and a half ago it had Carlisle RH load range F tires on it and they've performed well for us over the 1.5yrs and ~5kmiles so far. Carlisle used to have a bad reputation with heavy trailers, but the RH tires introduced ~2012 appear to be getting good reviews from everyone albeit they're still fairly new. The nice thing about these tires is they fit the standard 16" rim, inflate to 95lbs and have a carrying capacity of ~3900lbs which gives us a fair amount of margin to the ~3000lbs that the most weighted tired has to carry on our trailer; they also have a speed rating much higher than the typical 65mph on ST tires (although I still prefer to travel ~63mph).

Ron and Pat, and 2 Portuguese Water Dogs

2013 Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax w/SuperGlide

2005 NuWa HitchHiker DA 31.5 LK w/MorRyde IS

Replaced the original Duro tires on our Cameo with Michelin xps ribs. Didn't realize they were slightly under weight rated until after installation. Inadequate research on my part. We did have one tire fail but I have come to believe that the stem failed and allowed the tire to deflate. When we inspected the failure, the stem was missing/snapped off. Perhaps the weight of the pressure sensor was too much and or the stem was defective. In any case the rest of the tires including the replacement for the one that failed lasted another six years with no problems and were not nearly worn out when I went with 17.5s and G114s to overcompensate for my original sin.

Rich

"In order to utilize the LR G, your rims must be rated for 120psi.

Do not be deceived by load/inflation charts, they only show the absolute minimum air pressure to carry the corresponding load. For our 15,500# 5er, I ran 100psi in my Sailun tires."

charlyhors speaking - My Dexstar rims are rated at 110 PSI according to the manufacturer. I will have about 2900 lbs max on any tire, and the Sailun tires have a max PSI of 110. Wouldn't these rims be adequate?

"In order to utilize the LR G, your rims must be rated for 120psi.

Do not be deceived by load/inflation charts, they only show the absolute minimum air pressure to carry the corresponding load. For our 15,500# 5er, I ran 100psi in my Sailun tires."

charlyhors speaking - My Dexstar rims are rated at 110 PSI according to the manufacturer. I will have about 2900 lbs max on any tire, and the Sailun tires have a max PSI of 110. Wouldn't these rims be adequate?

Yes, they are fine for these tires. That was my mistake, I got 120 on my mind because we now have a MH with 120psi rims. Our 5er also had 110 psi rated aluminum rims. Getting old sucks_, but beats the alternative. ;)

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived