BRAND NEW

sandrawelker

My Hubby & I are both retired; we don't even have our rig yet.

We own a 3/4 ton Diesel pick up. My husband has been an over-the-road driver in years past.

We hope to be able to start with 90 days per year on the road and increase if we like it.

So---we plan to purchase a travel trailer.

we are looking at 1) 2003 --21 feet Komfort 2) 2006 Arctic Fox 3) 2004 Grand Surveyor--

What do you all think??

The hybrid travel trailers have some clear advantages since they give a lot of room for the size and weight, but they are also somewhat more impacted by the temperatures of the outside weather so can be rather seasonal for use. We traveled with a popup for many years when our boys were growing up but all of our travels were seasonal and our son has a hybrid for his family but is also a seasonal traveler. The beds in these are surrounded by canvas like materials so they do not heat or cool as well, but our son's did stay quite comfortable in warm weather and down into pretty chilly weather as well, but was difficult to heat in below freezing weather.

Your truck should be able to handle towing any of those trailers pretty well, especially if the lengths of all are similar to that of the Komfort. You really didn't say much about the second and third trailers, but of the three the best reputation is for the Arctic Fox brand and it is also the youngest of the three. Most people probably would not choose an RV as small as 21', but we travel in one of that size today and do so quite happily and have stayed out with it for as long as 5 months.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't know much about the Grand Surveyor. Many owners of Arctic Fox are pleased with the experience, and usually they are a true four season unit.

Being you have a retired OTR in the mix, the understanding of weight to tow vehicle capacity will be understood.

Enjoy this new chapter, have fun, be safe,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Based on brand name alone, I'd select the Arctic Fox. However, in a used RV, condition is often more important than build quality, so be sure to inspect each thoroughly, especially for water leaks...or hire an inspector.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We are new too. Our 5th wheel is in, and the dealer is storing for us until next month as our truck is not here yet! Ugh! Hopefully, they will extend a bit, if we don't have truck by 3/15. Hope to meet some of you other newbies on the road!

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

Many good comments from others so far. I know of a few folks who have Arctic Fox, and they all seem pleased with their purchases. However, as LindaH stated, the condition of the unit is of utmost importance, especially for someone just starting out. You really don't want to start your "RV'ing career" with lots of problems and breakdowns. It tends to leave a bad taste....

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Rick & JoAnn MacDonald
High River, Alberta Canada

2015 Ford Lariat F450
2012 Montana 3402RL

Archived