Weed burner

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Revisiting this topic. The last discussion is over a year old and has been locked.

Are most people reusing what's on the truck and just repositioning it?

Or has someone found a muffler that is quiet that fits underneath?

Or ?????

Needing not loud, no drone, turned down underneath the bed, or side exit?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Our muffler needed replacement, anyway, so a little time with a parts counter generic muffler/pipe parts book yielded the muffler I wanted to use, with the inlet & outlet in the correct locations, outer diameter to match the original, and nearly the same length. Ours dumps under the bed, straight back. No issues with dust blowing, or rims discolouring from soot.

Edit to add: Ours looks internally similar to a Thrush Muffler, or Cherry Bomb. I was tempted to put it in counter to the flow arrow, but thought better of it at the last moment. This was the night before we departed, heading to Poolville, Texas, and I didn't feel like being told to fix it on the road.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We used what was on the truck, repositioned it and did a side exit in front of rear wheel.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We have a VERY low-noise muffler on our weed burner on the Freightshaker......

Our Central Oregon shop plot has become enclosed with many new homes on small lots so I wanted the Freightshaker to make less noise that the few Dodge Diesel pickups that live in the hood......

We bought a BIG muffler and plumbed it low and outside the frame on the pass side so that we do not have any heat near the battery box.

The noise reduction is so good that with the Jake on low we can not hear it and on high Jake it is almost not obvious to most people.

We have no back pressure so our temps are cool and mileage is unchanged.

Drive on........( toast those weeds.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

You might want to visit the Truck Pipe Store.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

We have a VERY low-noise muffler on our weed burner on the Freightshaker......

Our Central Oregon shop plot has become enclosed with many new homes on small lots so I wanted the Freightshaker to make less noise that the few Dodge Diesel pickups that live in the hood......

We bought a BIG muffler and plumbed it low and outside the frame on the pass side so that we do not have any heat near the battery box.

The noise reduction is so good that with the Jake on low we can not hear it and on high Jake it is almost not obvious to most people.

We have no back pressure so our temps are cool and mileage is unchanged.

Drive on........( toast those weeds.....)

Whaat? ... But, but.... doesn't noise = power :o

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

That only applies to Harleys!

Come on now. The only true way is 8 inch straight stacks with spark plugs at the tips to ignite raw fuel as you pull into the camp ground on full jakes And a little blast of the train horn.

Boy these Volvo owners are killing me

Just kidding guys and gals:)

Come on now. The only true way is 8 inch straight stacks with spark plugs at the tips to ignite raw fuel as you pull into the camp ground on full jakes And a little blast of the train horn.

Boy these Volvo owners are killing me

Just kidding guys and gals:)

LOL!

I must be getting old cause I at starting to dislike noise.......

Mine is a 4' long muffler with a side exit just before the axle too. Can't hear even the Jake unless the window is open.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Randy A- Thanks for the link. Too bad they didn't have a "Weed Burner" conversion already in a kit!

One thing I have noticed about going deaf / losing my hearing is certain tones annoy the hell out of me now. The right pitch or whine of a ceiling fan can keep me awake all night, or the kid whining across the restaurant can rattle my teeth, but if my wife says something with her back turned to me, I have no clue what she said. So the standard "Yes Dear" or "Ok" rolls out more often than not.

The fun of loud motorsports and big guns is deafening as I grow older.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Sung to the tune of Meghan Trainor.....I'm all about the Jake, bout the Jake, no baffles!!

I so don't fit into this group sometimes ?

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Ours was a factory install weed burner. It is about a 3' long "muffler" and ends midway between the rear of the cab and the rear tires. No turns and no bends.

It actually looks really cool....for a pipe.

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

LOL!

I must be getting old cause I at starting to dislike noise.......

Mine is a 4' long muffler with a side exit just before the axle too. Can't hear even the Jake unless the window is open.

Crazy..........Are you calling me OLD..................And I just thought I was a.........Geezer..........so now I guess I am a OLD-GEEZER........

In my "previous-life" we had a small twin-engine airplane called a Aerostar.........it was cute and compact and pretty fast for a recip-twin......since it was so "compact" it was a bit odd in that the pilot sat RIGHT NEXT to the Left prop tips that were just a few inches from the pilots Left ear............guess what.......the longer I flew the Aerostar the LESS noise I heard........funny how that works........

My problem with the Freightshaker is obvious.........the darn weed burner exhaust is on the Right side of the truck and my Right ear is my best ear.......

So........IF I were I was to reconfigure the weed burner to the Left side of the truck.........would that mean that the Freightshaker would be totaly silent since my Left ear is essentially deaf..........you know the old saw......If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there , did it make noise??

So, Crazy.........help me here.......does this mean that I need to move the weed burner over to the Left side to invoke the "Shaker-silent-mode"

So here is the real problem Freightshakers have...........IF it was not for loud exhaust.......the door / window rattles will likely make you deaf anyhow........

Bob Looney has too many Freightshakers...........he says "the rattles are the FL theme-song and the sound of making money money .........."

Crazy..........just the thought of changing the the weed burner to the Left side (Deaf-side) is so..............Exhausting........

Drive on...........(noise-lessly...........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Run the pipe out the back and leave the sound behind....... ;)

Ya in a dream world it seems that leaving the sound behind seems like a good idea but after a hour of turning a lot of jet fuel into a lot of noise ( that gets pretty far behind you at +600 mph) and you find out the the Old man has gotten 53 phone calls for broken windows......so much for the top-gun award.......

How much diesel does it take to get the ole Freightshaker above Mach 1.1............

Drive on.......(no broken windows.....)

Mine had a weed burner system when I bought it, it goes mid way between the sleeper and the front tandems and is turn down style. I have a C-15 and is very quiet. High jake is barely noticeable even with the windows down. (you can see the very tip just behind the right fuel tank)

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

I will probably get some flack for this, but I never have cared for weed burners...

A pain in the butt when you are sitting next to one in traffic. The smell and smoke are irritating and rude IMHO. That crap needs to be shot UP in the air, not on the ground. Especially when some cowboy comes down a hill with the Jake on.

Start one up in a campground and the dirt fly's all over the place.

And yes I fully realize that there are reasons for going that route, such as extra room on the bed, etc....

Also being somewhat older, a semi just doesn't look right without a stack or two...even a Volvo.

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

On the Truck Pipes website, in the OEM section for the Volvo's, I saw where you can install "Dual" exhaust for stacks or??? I'm thinking about putting the duals on and running it straight out the back.

Think about how that would look with a custom bumper, kinda like the Dodge Rams with the dual exhaust with the pipe half molded into the bumper. Put a set of 8" tips on.... :lol:

Actually I'm going to order a new muffler and some piping and do an under bed turndown in front of the axle, easiest and simplest from what I can see by crawling under there.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On the Truck Pipes website, in the OEM section for the Volvo's, I saw where you can install "Dual" exhaust for stacks or??? I'm thinking about putting the duals on and running it straight out the back.

Think about how that would look with a custom bumper, kinda like the Dodge Rams with the dual exhaust with the pipe half molded into the bumper. Put a set of 8" tips on.... :lol:

Actually I'm going to order a new muffler and some piping and do an under bed turndown in front of the axle, easiest and simplest from what I can see by crawling under there.

I like that idea of duels out the back :)

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Is anyone getting soot on the side of the RV from a weed burner?

Can't hear ya, But I can see ya!

We got more soot when the exhaust was a stack. It seems like when it rained the water went down the pipe and laid in the elbow below the muffler. When we fired up the truck the black stuff would land on the back of the truck, rear fenders and front of the trailer. With the weed burner we do not get anything on either the side of the truck or the trailer. I can see a puff of smoke in the mirror when the Jake comes on but it is not a lot and doesn't seem to leave much of a residue. Our truck is also pretty quiet even with the jake on.

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

If going out the rear Have fun going up and over an axle with a 5" pipe!

We know of a way to do it but it would be pretty expensive and be a lot of fabrication.

I would not do it at it would be too hot while hooking up the trailer and raising the trailer legs. It would look cool though.

Archived