Windshield Seal

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am in the planning stage to get my windshield seal replaced. I have some questions. Are the windshields on the Gen 1 truck the same part number as the Gen 2 trucks ? The reason for this question is because the Gen 1 trucks have a plastic piece on both sides of the windshield and the Gen 2 trucks do not have these piece. Do these pieces have a real purpose ? Are they needed ? The reason for the extra questions, these plastic pieces screw into the windshield seal. Do you really want screws going into that seal ? Is there anyone out there that do not have these plastics pieces on both sides of your windshield on a Gen 1 truck ? I am still getting rain inside my truck on the drivers side. I am hoping that a new seal can help fix the problem.

All input is welcomed,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Alan, We just had ours replaced by Jims specialty shop in Toledo, Ohio.. To replace the windshield with a new one was 250-275.00 We also got the seal at around 115.00 They were quick and came out to the farm that is an hour trip. We will be running in the rain today, so I'll let you know if we have any leaks. We too have been fighting a leak into the cab,

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Does anyone have any thoughts about the plastic pieces on the sides of the windshield ? Are they needed ? Will the windshield have a better seal with out them ?

Al

Heads up Alan, They did not seal the windshield around the upper right-hand corner as we found after it ran , ( yes ran ) on the DW's leg. They were called and are coming today to repair.I'll post here as to how this goes.

Happy Trails !!

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Heads up Alan, They did not seal the windshield around the upper right-hand corner as we found after it ran , ( yes ran ) on the DW's leg. They were called and are coming today to repair.I'll post here as to how this goes.

Happy Trails !!

Thanks Denver. I'll be waiting to see how they fix the problem.

Alan, They were at the farm yesterday. They reset the windshield and it looks good inside and out. DW made them drench it with water and she crawled up in to the truck and pronounced it repaired. They were courteous and I think they realized that we are picky about our equipment and also not to upset the Blonde fireball...

I'll repost after we hit the road. We'll be back for the National Tractor Pulling Championships in Bowling Green.

Happy Trails !!

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

• 1 month later...

Alan, They were at the farm yesterday. They reset the windshield and it looks good inside and out. DW made them drench it with water and she crawled up in to the truck and pronounced it repaired. They were courteous and I think they realized that we are picky about our equipment and also not to upset the Blonde fireball...

I'll repost after we hit the road. We'll be back for the National Tractor Pulling Championships in Bowling Green.

Happy Trails !!

Denver,

How did your wind shield repair work out for you ? Any water into the truck ? This Thursday the glass shop is going to replace the wind shield gasket on my truck.

Just curious,

Al

Al, After they came back it was fine. They didn't use any kind of goop to seal it anywhere. I had a whistle for a little while, but now it is gone. I think it just needed a little time to settle in. If your windshield is pitted, they can put a new one in for around 125-150 I think. ... It may be worth the money. I am still getting a little moisture from the drivers side and I'm beginning to wonder if that its just coming up from being so soaked. At any rate I'm leaving the full coverage mats out for a while. They really don't let the carpet "breathe" Trust all is well with you ..

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Hi Everyone,

I have an answer to my own question. The answer might help someone else looking to replace there Gen 1 windshield seal or gasket. The windshield on my truck has been leaking for some time. I went to the glass shop to see if they can replace the windshield seal with a Gen 2 seal. I found out that the windshield for a Gen 1 truck is the same part number as a Gen 2 truck. Using a Gen 2 seal you do not need to put the plastic pieces on the sides of the windshield. If you look at the Gen 2 trucks there is no extra pieces on the sides of the windshield. To answer the big question, is the truck still leaking rain water. It has been raining all night. I went out to the truck to see if there is any water on the floor. So far so good. The floor is staying dry. I am sorry that I don't have a part number to post for the Gen 2 seal. The fellow at the glass shop said that there is two small channels at the bottom of the windshield frame or the body of the truck. Make sure that these small channels do not have any extra or old sealant in these channels. Get the channels as clean as possible. You want to see the color of the truck before the windshield gets installed. This will help the get the water away from the windshield seal.

Al

Archived