New to the clan - considering the big RV move with an Airstream

sdnet01

We are part-timers (snowbirds away from the winter for 5 months) in a 32-ft 1987 Airstream towed with a 1999 Dodge 2500 diesel. My "opinion" based on my own experience is:

1 - 32 ft is adequate (no slides here). The floorplan of the older Airstreams such as mine is best suited for longer-term living than the newer ones, as I have a triple wardrobe, a good sized bathroom with a shower that has a built-in bench as well as twin beds (can easily be made into a double by the factory). The cabinets even include a laundry bin.

2 - Stick with a brand that you can get service for. Airstream has factory service as well as a dealer network who can repair just about anything. They will even repair an Avion!

3 - We have upgraded all the "technology", so we have the capacity to boondock for extended periods in the desert.

4 - There are a number of older RV'ers who are hanging up the keys. I bought both the Airstream and truck from a gentleman who turned 90 and was no longer physically able to hitch/unhitch. The ones built between 1983 to 1993 are the narrow-body ones with the heavier frame. The shell is better built and framed with one-piece U-shaped frames - the new ones have the U-shaped in 3 segments that are riveted together.

5 - For a tow vehicle, definitely look for a long-bed pickup with extended cab and a cap. You will find that the rear of the truck will be a major storage for tools etc, as well as a genset.

6 - You can stay in Escapee parks for just under $300/mo + utilities. At some point you may consider getting a leasehold in one of the Escapee co-ops. My M&O's last year (which equates to rent) was $275 after credits from the rental pool.

7 - Notwithstanding what you may think, there are surprise maintenance costs just as with a stick & bricks home. Sometimes these costs are upgrades which you feel you need, other times it is a failure of something - think: water pump packs out.

8 - My own experience with the 32-ft Excella is positive; before that I had a 34-ft Airstream Landyacht diesel pusher - that was a financial horror story running me between $8-10,000/yr in maintenance.

Good luck with your choice. Message me if you need more information. As well, visit http://www.airforums.com/forums/ for more technical info. That forum is a wealth of Airstream info.

Trailer = 1987 Airstream Excella 32'

Truck = 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Thanks so much, a1rstreamer, for the incredibly helpful reply. You have confirmed a couple of assumptions that we had and reinforced the fact that we should probably be looking for a long bed pickup truck.

Out of curiosity, when you said that you have the "technology" to boon dock for longer periods of time, I am assuming that includes solar panels, yes? This is probably one of the first things that we will do with our Airstream.

• 4 weeks later...

sdnet01 - Yes, I have 365-watts solar, 420Ah AGM batteries, 3Kw Xantrex Freedom 3012 inverter/charger & other goodies. Our winter HQ is the Escapee co-op in Casa Grande AZ, and since you are in southern AZ you are most welcome to come for a visit. I shall arrive at the "Roost" in the last half of November, my wife flies down in January.

Trailer = 1987 Airstream Excella 32'

Truck = 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Archived