Batwing R.I.P. , how about the dome type ?

We recently purchased a new rig that came with a round antenna that are currently in vogue. It works OK in strong signal areas, but does not perform nearly as well as the bat wing type antenna we had on the previous rig.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Seems mine took a dump

In what way? You may only need a new head for it if it doesn't boost anymore. First you need to check the cable at the head if it is getting 12V or not.

If not then a fuse is probably tripped

If there is 12V in the cable. Then more likely a new head is needed. Less then $50

A new head is much cheaper then a new system. Plus the round type can't pick up stations far away as the Batwing.

Get a new head with the Wingman.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Yes, it does. Installer may not have used a single unbroken line up to it, too. Mine had a bad connector in the line from the roof to the power/booster unit in the closet. Water had gotten down in there and corroded it so bad I could not separate the parts. replaced the whole line with a single piece of RG6. Took that time while I had it open to rejuvenate the crank mechanism, too. They have a refurb kit with new wear parts and water proof gaskets.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Yes, it does. Installer may not have used a single unbroken line up to it, too. Mine had a bad connector in the line from the roof to the power/booster unit in the closet. Water had gotten down in there and corroded it so bad I could not separate the parts. replaced the whole line with a single piece of RG6. Took that time while I had it open to rejuvenate the crank mechanism, too. They have a refurb kit with new wear parts and water proof gaskets.

Where did you get the refurb kit? Mine at some point in the past has been filled with silicon due to a leak. I'd like to get it working again.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

We're very pleased with KISS of use, and performance, of this unit:

http://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto

Not inexpensive, but it seems to cover our OTA needs 95% + of the time. We have a new manual crank up and adjust Sensar too. I had that added to the roof because I wanted a crank up mast to also attach a WiFi Ranger Mobile Boost Antenna (Now I believe replaced by the Extreme? Or maybe some other name now:)!) to.

http://www.winegard.com/sensar

If maximum OTA coverage of all available stations is required, the Sensar will pull in more distant, weak, signals then the Rayzar Auto. I've used ours for OTA needs probably 4-5 times over the last year. A few of those times were to just test that it could pull in signals that the Rayzar could not. I only recall two times over the year, that we watched a station that only the Sensar could pull in.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Our new Mobile Suite came with the Winegard Rayzar. It sure is nice to push a button have it find the channels. Just FYI

That Rayzar($399) may only work on stations up to around 35 miles away. A Batwing with a Wingman works better.

When at my Sons I pull them in at 70 miles.

I just push the button on my Trav'ler to find over 250 DTV channels including the Networks DNS. :)

For my Batwing a Free app "TV Towers" show me the direction to point the Batwing if I want local's.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Where did you get the refurb kit? Mine at some point in the past has been filled with silicon due to a leak. I'd like to get it working again.

BnB

I don't have the exact info any longer but these links should get you to some sources: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=batwing+rebuild+kit+winegard

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Ron I just had to replace a crushed bat wing. Got it at a surplus place in MI by Elkhart IN. Was $90.

Wouldn't go with the other types the signal is not even close from all the reports I see and hear.

Saw on line for less too.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I have the dome Sensor and I love it. I do not worry about accidentally leaving it up and it has done a good job with getting the local signals. I have not done a side by side comparison with other types, but it works for us. You just push a button and it finds the stations. We installed it ourselves.

• 1 month later...

Here's an excellent article on antenna maintenance by Chris Bryant: http://rx4rv.com/tune-up-your-tv-antenna/.

The Winegard Sensar series (AKA Batwing) is considered the best RV antenna. If you have an older Sensar, you can add the Wingman attachment which improves the UHF reception. The newest version Sensar IV has the Wingman built in.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

You cannot beat the old batwing style with the wingman addition. The Wineguard Sensar IV is the latest model.

The round disc type are omnidirectional and perform equally bad in all directions. The $399 Wineguad does not do as well as the old batwing antenna, but it is automatic.

Generally with any antenna you have two basic rules..more height and more metal.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

A lot of this depends if the stations are true VHF transmission or UHF with low numbers. After the digital transition in 2007, many former VHF stations still have their under 14 channel numbers but are transmitting in UHF.

The Sensar works better for VHF has it has the longer elements off the head. If the stations are UHF, then the smaller antennas (Jack, dome) have the same sized elements as the Wingman on the Sensar and will receive the same.

You are not going to receive UHF at 70 miles.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

" You are not going to receive UHF at 70 miles."

Maybe not with that little Wingman ad-on , but ...

We only have the OEM Sensar type antenna , but , I added a UHF loop . That combination gets us 30+ channels in our current location . Some of which are from 70 miles away .

HPIM0002_zpsebvjjysu.jpg

Just so you have something to do , we were on the west side of Paragould , Ar and the stations were watching were from Memphis , Tn . What is the distance between ?

:)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived