Amazon and Alaska

jrzygrl64

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to let you know - hubby and I are working at Amazon for the first time this fall. I know there is always questions about it - I had a bunch before we started - so I will be blogging about it as it happens! Just posted my first installment about it and will post every week or two.

bkamericanodyssey.com

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Second part - Alaska! We are looking for a Workamper job for next summer in AK! Been sending resumes to places thru Workamper News. Also checking Happy Vagabonds and Cool Jobs. Does anyone have any other tips for the perfect AK to work and spend the summer of 2016?

Thanks again!

Bill and Kelly

2014 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Deisel Dual Rear Wheel Extended Cab XLT

<p> Callie along for the ride - Raskal and Cocoa now watching over us from above

new blog: bkamericanodyssey.com

Sign up for the free newsletter with job listings from www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com/joblistings

The couple who do this are full-timers and they spend summers in Alaska. It seems that they usually have quite a few listings. I get an e-mail every few days with new postings.

Pat DeJong

Second part - Alaska! We are looking for a Workamper job for next summer in AK! Been sending resumes to places thru Workamper News. Also checking Happy Vagabonds and Cool Jobs. Does anyone have any other tips for the perfect AK to work and spend the summer of 2016?

Thanks again!

Here's one that was posted in another forum, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f89/workampers-for-alaska-2016-a-250822.html

We volunteered at Tetlin NWR last summer headquarters were in Tok, AK which is the gateway, the first town you come to in AK. this is a nice looking campground. Their time off looks like you would have time to explore.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

Thanks! I'll check out those suggestions!

Bill and Kelly

<p> Callie along for the ride - Raskal and Cocoa now watching over us from above

Many public schools in Alaska want RVers parked in their lots as a "presence" during the summer. Most have full hookups. Enjoy your travels!

Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

x2 on schools. We worked in Alaska near Denali Nat'l Park and enjoyed it, but if we went again I would recommend looking for position near and South of Anchorage only because you are closer to more activities and shopping. We had to drive 145 miles to Fairbanks to shop. One I heard about was I think Diamond M below Achorage, several good reports from campers. Enjoy

Jim

Thanks again! Checking into all options! Bill thought it would be too early to look, but one place I checked in Anchorage has already hired the 2 couples they need!

If anyone else has any suggestions, keep them coming!

Bill and Kelly

Contact Anchorage School District. They like having campers at the school as a deterrent to vandalism.

The Tok RV village has a posted ad for work campers.

There are many state and national parks that normally have campers, as well as a few COE sites.

The city of Homer may have a camper position for one of their campgrounds.

Seward has several RV parks and campgrounds.

Valdez also has several and Fairbanks.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

One thing to consider and check with any potential employer is if they have a FHU. Because of permafrost many campgrounds do not have sewer facilities, especially the State Parks. We found more sewer connections in southern Alaska. Also, consider your needs for supplies and how close you are to major shopping areas, that is one reason we ruled out TOK. Many small grocery stores are available but we found a loaf of bread at the small store to run about $6.00, same for a gallon of milk. More reasonable if you are closer to Fairbanks, Wassila, or Anchorage. Gas prices were higher as well, corner station over $4.00 last summer, better closer to the cities. We were in Cantwell - they have openings, but you had to use a blue boy, no sewer and 145 miles one way for shopping in Fairbanks. All it what you need/want. As noted, schools like presence and most only require that you be on site.

Jim

Thanks again! We have contacted the ones suggested - will keep you updated!

Bill and Kelly

Do you have an idea of what part of AK you want to work in? How long do you want to be in one place? Do you expect pay or work-for-site only? Do you specifically want to work at a campground?

Diamond M Ranch is close to Soldotna. That's about 150 miles from Anchorage, with a winding mountain pass between the two.

I think the state parks always have openings. But, yes, don't assume they'll all have w/s/e.

Many of the towns have city campgrounds that utilize camp hosts.

Do you want to work at a fishing resort with campground? I'm not sure what we currently have running, but we usually have jobs posted from charter fishing places that have a campground.

There is always a shortage of seasonal workers at businesses other than campgrounds.

Coleen Sykora

Escapees Life Member #19747

Workers On Wheels

Ideally we would like a site and pay for hours over that. We would like a CG that has a nice view, if possible, but it isn't a deal breaker if not.

We filled out the volunteer form for Diamond M but have not heard back yet.

I wouldn't mind a city park or a fishing resort with CG (although neither of us know anything about fishing).

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Bill and Kelly

Only place I have had a hard time finding a dump station is north of fairbanks. There is one at the Yukon river crossing, than one in prudhoe bay. Fairbanks and south you should not have a hard time getting a dump station.

Not sure what the deal was with the cantwell place. I have stayed at DNP and dumped there and its only 30 miles south of where you were. They were having an issue with their well systems and had to running water thou.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Colleen - I just signed up for your site! I didn't realize who you were - we have friends in common! I am going to send you a FB PM

Bill and Kelly

If you are looking for wages, you might consider combining school sitting with a part-time job. For instance, if you were interested in being on the Kenai Peninsula, you might park at one of the Borough schools, then work a couple of morning shifts a week at the local bakery. This past summer, the bakery was so hard up for help, that they did not open every day.

Coleen Sykora

Escapees Life Member #19747

Workers On Wheels

This past summer, the bakery was so hard up for help, that they did not open every day.

I hope not the Moose is Loose bakery. It would be a shame for anyone to miss out on those outstanding pastries. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

• 2 months later...

OP,

I'm new and planning to do RVing soon. I work remotely for an Alaska company that has some hotels and restaurants... not sure if that's of interest... PM me, if so.

We're planning to do a RV trip to Alaska this year when the weather is better... I've never been there but figured that RVing is a good way to show up physically at my company.

Archived