Boondocking Meals

Arizona Drifter

Powdered milk for the kids... they hate it at first but after a few weeks the real milk tastes yucky.

WDR

Oh boy..... not for me... whole milk straight from the cow and cooled.... Ok skim off enough fat to make butter then just stir the rest in and drink it up. Been away from the farm long enough to not get fresh milk so I'll make do by having a couple of donuts backed by a quart of half and half or a quart of heavy cream if I really want to treat myself.... :rolleyes:

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy..... not for me... whole milk straight from the cow and cooled.... Ok skim off enough fat to make butter then just stir the rest in and drink it up. Been away from the farm long enough to not get fresh milk so I'll make do by having a couple of donuts backed by a quart of half and half or a quart of heavy cream if I really want to treat myself.... :rolleyes:

Dave

30 or 40 day passages at sea will change a lot of habits. Once we all got used to powdered milk mixed 12 hours before and chilled in the fridge it was hard to go back to real milk.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

30 or 40 day passages at sea will change a lot of habits. Once we all got used to powdered milk mixed 12 hours before and chilled in the fridge it was hard to go back to real milk.

WDR

Been there done that.... However on the large scale USN (fresh milk usually was gone in 7 to 10 days).... for me running out of fresh milk has always been something I try to avoid.

Getting ready to head for the deep boonies for a while..... However MILK will be one of the main reasons for the required 150 mile round trip to the nearest grocery...

Dave

1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Since the OP has not responded, I will add Soylent powder to the list, http://www.soylent.me/. Personally, I would get bored quickly, but for some this is what they eat/drink.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Sorry for the no refrigeration post. We do have a refer in our rv but it is small and we will have to run the generator to keep it cold.

That certainly clears up the confusion... We could never go very long without the propane function of our fridge working, spend too much time off the beaten path for long periods.

Dave

Please note that freeze dried foods can cause foul smelling intesinal gas as they are prepared with nitrogen.

Hmmm. I eat a lot of freeze-dried food without that side effect. Maybe it is something else in the food that disagrees with you?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

:) I found milk in a heavy waxed cardboard container at Walmart that you can keep on the shelf for about three months without refridgeration. It comes in about 16 OZ. containers so when you open it; you will use it up at one sitting! Don't know if they still have it it has been at least 3-5 yrs. since i bought it. :rolleyes:

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Spagetti and canned sauce.

There you go ... Chef Boy-Ar-Dee spaghetti and meatballs ... comfort food from my childhood ... I could eat that stuff for weeks on end.

But I would have to accommodate the beer somehow. Can't do hot beer. :unsure:

New Domain!! Blogging at workingtourists.com

Fulltime FreightKampers since 2010

2006 Freightliner M2 Business Class

96" ICT Sleeper - Living Fulltime Comfortably in 64 sf !

Sorry for the no refrigeration post. We do have a refer in our rv but it is small and we will have to run the generator to keep it cold.

Nothing to be sorry about. I thought it was an interesting thread and I learned a lot.

1994 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB40

Full-timers since 2016, domiciled in Crestview, Florida

Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Dinty Moore Chicken & Dumplings and all kinds of Soup, Spam.

Packages of Salmon, tuna, and many other meats in the canned meat isle.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I found milk in a heavy waxed cardboard container at Walmart that you can keep on the shelf for about three months without refridgeration. It comes in about 16 OZ. containers so when you open it; you will use it up at one sitting! Don't know if they still have it it has been at least 3-5 yrs. since i bought it.

I saw the same thing in Dollar Tree last year - Ultra High Temperature (UHT) pasteurized milk in pint boxes. It can be stored without refrigeration until it's opened, then it's like any other milk and must be refrigerated to keep further.

The only disadvantage was a slight burnt taste from the UHT. It's not bad and would be masked by any other taste added to the milk like coffee, chocolate, etc. Maybe not entirely masked by cereal.

Wow....some of the things posted here...especially prepared food and canned foods would kill me...I have high blood pressure and the sodium content of those foods is extreme. The dehydrater sounds like a good plan. I am assuming the OP has a residential fridge and that makes it difficult to boondock unless you want to run the gen or have a lot of solar. I would just bite the bullet and run my little Honda. You simply have to keep the beer cold. :)

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Wow....some of the things posted here...especially prepared food and canned foods would kill me...I have high blood pressure and the sodium content of those foods is extreme. The dehydrater sounds like a good plan. I am assuming the OP has a residential fridge and that makes it difficult to boondock unless you want to run the gen or have a lot of solar. I would just bite the bullet and run my little Honda. You simply have to keep the beer cold. :)

Jim,

The dehydrator works well for us. A decent sized good one costs about $50.00. My wife prepares meals as usual and simply dehydrates them....meat and all. She controls all the "additives". The meals get placed into a double zip lock bag and into cabinets until needed. The vendors I listed in my earlier post do carry dehydrated foods but as you said have high sodium content. We have purchased from those mentioned and were happy with the meals. Not as good as home cooked but palitable. Watch for sales. Savings of 50% are common. We stay away from freeze dried. To expensive and as I mentioned before nitrogen can have an adverse affect that is fairly common to many.

Check out the Wise meals......they are pretty good. Don't know the sodium content, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Bought some of the milk from Dollar Tree in Florida last year. It was not bad. The company is in Utah and I only tried the whole milk not the 2% that they have all the time. Can keep for several months before opening. I am sure that there are other brands out there. So many good ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 2 weeks later...

You can have six to twelve portions of meat for grilling in a med size cooler. Pack it very frozen. Also two bags of frozen vegetables. Maybe a frozen pizza if you like them. Depending on the quality of the cooler, you might like to experiment with dry ice. On top of the frozen food, put eggs (which keep well if only cool) cheese, a small jar of pickles or condiments. Other options are milk and juice frozen as blocks of ice, or in daily servings. Don't open the cooler often!

Also enjoy: pancakes, homemade bread or biscuits, pizza or calzones, Mac and cheese, rice and beans or lentils with cornbread (many mixes available), cake, omelets, sardines, vegetable soup, tuna casserole.

I have foldable fabric coolers than fit in my fridge, and one that has some kind of gel that freezes the whole bag. They aren't that great, but they don't take up much space.

A wonderful recipe book is "Campfire Cookery Adventuresome Recipes and Other Curiosities for the Great Outdoors" by Susan Huck. These are written for Dutch Ovens, mostly, but of course can be made on oven or grill. It's available as an Ebook.

Have fun, see you at potluck one day!

We were just in Sam's Club and they had shelf stable precooked bacon. Might be useful for someone without a fridge or trying to save fridge space.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Fresh vegetables and fruit should last 12 days if you wrap them in paper towels and store in the coolest area of your RV.

As suggested frozen meats, juice, and blocks of ice should last 4-5 days in a full and sealed ice chest.

The remaining days of your trip bring canned, dehydrated, or freeze dried meats and vegetables.

Most dry snacks like chips, crackers, jerky, and nuts will keep longer than your 12 day boondocking trip.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

• 3 weeks later...

You can keep eggs fresh by burying them in a bucket of flour. Just make sure the eggs are entirely covered with flour, not touching each other or the sides without flour around each egg. This works in all temps except freezing cold. I was camping in the wilds (hiking in and tenting) for 3 months and kept my eggs fresh for weeks this way.

I learned this from my parents, when asking them what my grandparents did before refrigeration....seems this is how they did it, so tried it and it worked well for me.

Archived