Dimplex Fireplace Failure

ms60ocb

How many have had problems with a Dimplex Fireplace?

This morning I turned on the fire place to give a little extra heat while the coffee was brewing. This I had done many mornings, the heat runs til the thermostat shuts the heater off. Not this morning, as the sun came out it was getting warm so I turned off the fireplace. Doing my normal activity and finally I relieved it was hotter, the fire place was still running at 3 degrees over set point. Hitting fireplace power switch (not the remote did not turn the unit off. I turned the breaker OFF and looked at Owner's Manual, turned on the power and heat was on and still would stop heating by any means. Turned OFF power and some later found a Service Manual on line.

The Service manual first said check the Owner's Manual. Turned the power back ( Maybe off 20-30 minutes) on. The fireplace remained off and did respond to normal controls. Just like a computer has to rebooted but required more off time.

The unit scares me now ad the unit is 13 months old.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Mine is two and 1/2 years old. First a switch went bad so that the heater would not turn off and I had to use the breaker to turn it off and on. Even though I was out of warranty they sent me free replacement parts. It then worked fine. Then last week my wife smelled burning wire plastic or wire and shut it off. I checked it out in the morning and as soon as I turned it own the smell started up and the stream of air coming out was so hot you had to pull your hand away. I have not taken it apart yet but from the service manual it sounds like the blower/heater assembly unit needs to be replaced which is about $100.00. So, two breakdowns in a little over two years.

Dave and Lana Hasper

I had a stand alone Ben franklin style that melted the power "brick". I took it back to Lowe's where I got it and got my money back which I put on a set-in fire log set which has worked fine for 4 years.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

You do need to do regular maint on these things. They get dirty and wires can vibrate loose. We have not had a problem with our dimplex since new in 2012. We do take it out and clean and check the connections every y ear.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Not a fireplace, but our electric heaters get filled with dust. We had one overheat and start smoking. It was dust catching on fire. We take the front off and blow them out with the air compressor to clean them. Not as easy with a mounted fireplace, but you could vacuum them out. You would be surprised how much is in there. I think they attract the dust.

Pat DeJong

First a switch went bad so that the heater would not turn off and I had to use the breaker to turn it off and on. Even though I was out of warranty they sent me free replacement parts.

I called this morning and a new part is being sent as warranty repair. I asked the the young lady at what temperature would the cut-out switch operate, after being on hold a few moments she replied " 90 Degrees C". (Which is194 degrees F) I replied that is to hot and she replied that is UL approved.

But I know Samsung setting above the fireplace would not like that temperature. Maybe an in-line thermostat is to be installed to protect the electronic above.

Clay

• 2 weeks later...

How many have had problems with a Dimplex Fireplace?

This morning I turned on the fire place to give a little extra heat while the coffee was brewing. This I had done many mornings, the heat runs til the thermostat shuts the heater off. Not this morning, as the sun came out it was getting warm so I turned off the fireplace. Doing my normal activity and finally I relieved it was hotter, the fire place was still running at 3 degrees over set point. Hitting fireplace power switch (not the remote did not turn the unit off. I turned the breaker OFF and looked at Owner's Manual, turned on the power and heat was on and still would stop heating by any means. Turned OFF power and some later found a Service Manual on line.

The Service manual first said check the Owner's Manual. Turned the power back ( Maybe off 20-30 minutes) on. The fireplace remained off and did respond to normal controls. Just like a computer has to rebooted but required more off time.

The unit scares me now ad the unit is 13 months old.

Depending upon the model year of your Dimplex, they had a recall for the type/model with a remote about 8-10 years ago. Something about the remote unit at the plug-in starting fires. I got a letter from Dutchmen, but mine did not have a remote unit.

I know yours is a year old, but you might contact Dimplex anyway.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

My Dimplex does not have a remote, but I have had to remove it and take the top cover off to expose the heater assembly twice over the past 7 years. It gets dirty and a simple vacuuming cleans it right up. I did take the heat assembly outside and blew it off with compressed air. Vacuuming all of the wiring and switches fixed it right up. The symptom was that it would not stay on. Cleaning the dirt off of the thermostat fixed that problem.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I did receive a relay board from the factory this week but waiting for a rainy day next week to replace and start using the fireplace again. I will comment later on the dust but expect it to be low as it is just my Wife & I ( and we move slower each day) and no pets.

Clay

Archived