IH-10 west to IH-5 North, Avoiding LA

mptjelgin

We'll be volunteering in NW Washington and are looking at our route out of Central Texas. Since we'll be travelling in February I intend to avoid driving in or crossing the Rockies at a high elevation, so am looking at taking IH-10 west out of Texas and eventually hooking up with IH-5 north to Olympia.

I'm pretty sure that I'd like to avoid Los Angeles completely, and am looking at options for cutting the corner. One friend suggesting taking US 95 north from Blythe to Needles and then picking up IH-40 west and working my way across on 58 to IH-5. Any thoughts on that route or suggestions for a different way to miss LA?

Thanks.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Excellent route to avoid LA! We live in Bakersfield and always take the 58 over the Tehachapis into Barstow. Take 40 to Needles and then US 95 south to Vidal Junction and then east over to Parker. Then just head to Quartzsite. We also like to avoid the Phoenix area. So we take the cutoff from the I-10 to Gila Bend on the I-8. Then take the 8 east where it connects back to the 10.

The road from the Needles area to Quartzsite is 2 lanes but a good road. Traffic is usually not too crowded and moves well. Lots of good alternatives to avoid the large cities. Good luck and have fun. Just as an alternative route you might want to consider going up the east side of the Sierras on US 395. We use this route almost all the time. It is so much more scenic than going up I-5. Just a thought. Have fun.... Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Just as an alternative route you might want to consider going up the east side of the Sierras on US 395. We use this route almost all the time. It is so much more scenic than going up I-5. Just a thought. Have fun.... Dennis

That looks like a nice alternative. I have no experience with that area. Any potential issues with weather in February?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

That looks like a nice alternative. I have no experience with that area. Any potential issues with weather in February?

Sorry I did not realize you were traveling in Feb. Yes. There could very well be some weather issues. They do try to keep the road open year round. This year we have had some major storms come through and they have dumped a lot of snow and rain. That could be a reason to go up I-5. On 5 you generally have only a couple of altitude problems. Just north of Lake Shasta is Mt. Shasta and snow can be a problem but not usually. The only other major altitude is on the border between CA and OR. Mt. Ashland can sometimes be shut down....... But I-5 is THE major connection between north and south so they really work to keep it open.

Best thing to do check the road conditions. But I'd simply go up I-5 as boring as it may be. <G> Good luck and have fun. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

By the first of February, the Needles to Bakersfield run isn't a problem. There is a Passport America park in Boron if you don't want to do the whole thing in one day. Biggest problem might be wind over the Tehachapi - just take your time and you will be alright. Biggest worry is the Siskyous Mts. It is a string of 5 passes, just take your time and watch the weather. If at all worrisome, stay in Yreka, or further south in Weed until passes are clear.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived