Install brake controller ?'s

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am in the planning stage of installing a brake controller in the truck. A few questions came to mind. How many people are using a plug wired to their brake controller ? Or are most people extending the wires coming from the controller to where they need to go ? If you are using a plug, what kind of plug are you using ? I just want to let everyone know that I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.lol.

Thank for any help and all opinions are welcomed,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Most controller have a plug for the wires to the back of the controller and comes with the controller.

So the question is connecting the controller to the truck. Depending on the controller, the wires for power, ground, and stoplight signal may be done with the controller supplied wire. Use a self-resetting breaker on the power wire to the controller.

The Blue brake wire and White Ground wire need to be routed to the trailer plug. That can be directly to the trailer receptacle or if you are using a Jackalopee, to the Jackalopee. These should be at least #12 wire.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I use a plug harness, but it is only really worth it for the trucks that are pre-wired for it. It is a truck dealer thing and follows the same spec as motorhomes so it isn't really a common to find Ford/Dodge/Chevy/Amazon plug in harness. I think DirecLink may have them too. But if your truck isn't pre-wired for it I don't think it is really worth it and is best to butt splice it up from scratch.

Search up your old threads for your thread on the best circuit breaker to use. You had about the best thread going and I don't think anything better has come out since then.

I have a Hayes brake controller it does not have a plug on it I just extended the wires. No reason why you couldn't wire a plug on it if you wanted.

I have a Hayes myself. There is no plug at the end. I should have asked what kind of plug would be best ? I don't know what kind of plugs there are out there. The positive and negative lines will be going to the extra fuse box that I added to the truck. I will run the blue wire to the Jackalopee.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived