Maxbrake

SuiteSuccess

Not that I'm trying to start a company or anything but curious. 1. For you electronic whizzes, how hard would it be to reverse engineer the Maxbrake? 2. Since the company no longer exists is it still intellectual property or proprietary? I have a Maxbrake and love it but not repairable to my knowledge so reason for questions. Mine's still working fine. Thought someone might be able to repair in event of breakdown (uhmm, David, Henry, RandyA?).

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Direclink may be the best thing since sliced bread, but for what it costs, you could have bought two MaxBrakes. A lot of people are not willing to pay $500+ for a brake controller and right now the Hayes air actuated controller is the only alternative that I know of. I would have preferred a Maxbrake over the Hayes any day, but I'm not willing to shell out the dollars for a Direclink when my Hayes was half the price and works fine.

Yeah, I know there have been 1 or 2 people on here that have had issues....and what product hasn't?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks folks. I know what the alternatives are and will decide what's best for me when that time comes. Not trying to start debate about different controllers. Just know some of our electronic gurus love to tinker and was just curious if a MaxBrake could be cheaply overhauled if needed.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We have a Max Brake that I don't trust. It went to sleep one day, the next day woke up and decided we needed to stop, NOW. So, the trailer brakes locked up (smoking 6 brand new tires), while the little ole Cummins just fed more fuel and kept going.

I now have a BluDot system sitting at my shop awaiting installation. I have another forum member who wants the Max Brake, as he might be able to make it work again.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Love my direclink.

I am bring my maxbrake carcass to the ECR you can have it Carl.

Thanks Ralf. I'll take it. If mine goes out, might get one of those mentioned to scavenge needed parts for repair.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

We have a Max Brake that I don't trust. It went to sleep one day, the next day woke up and decided we needed to stop, NOW. So, the trailer brakes locked up (smoking 6 brand new tires), while the little ole Cummins just fed more fuel and kept going.

I now have a BluDot system sitting at my shop awaiting installation. I have another forum member who wants the Max Brake, as he might be able to make it work again.

Love my BluDot.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

I am not happy with my Hayes and would like something better. I, too, don't want to shell out the $ for Direclink. I had a new Tekonsha Prodigy. I took it apart and found the gyro which is on a separate little board of its own. The intent was to look at the signal levels that it sent back to the main board and try to duplicate that signal (if it is an analog signal) with an op amp coming out of a 0-125 psi transducer. That was 6 months ago and I still have not attached the o-scope to it to see what makes it tick.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I thought in the past about just building my own controller since I really like my Maxbrake. It might not have a fancy control panel or display, but do you really need those options anyway? They just sell controllers! I just need a gain knob and an dimming LED to let me know what is happening.

Cost? I don't care if a brake controller is $1000.....If I'm convinced it works good and and is safe, I'll spend it. Drop in the bucket for safety compared to what we have all spent on these trucks and RV's!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Cost? I don't care if a brake controller is $1000.....If I'm convinced it works good and and is safe, I'll spend it. Drop in the bucket for safety compared to what we have all spent on these trucks and RV's!

I agree but I'm not forking out money for Goodyear tires when Toyos are just as good for half the price.

2014 smart Fortwo

I agree but I'm not forking out money for Goodyear tires when Toyos are just as good for half the price.

I'm with you.....

So what's as good as a Maxbrake or Direclink for half price? Lots of peeps here swear by the Direclink, but I have never towed with one, so not convinced yet. I need to look deeper into it so I can make the decision one way or the other.

I think we have become victim to one or two companies taking over the entire brake controller market and providing us what sells.....Cheap and adequate! Like 95% of the RV industry.......

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

So for a typical rig, an investment of 0.3% for a brake controller is too much? Poor decision process there.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I don't think reverse engineering would be difficult, but getting someone to manufacture some of the components to spec (ic chips) for a fairly low volume item would be the deal breaker. Gone are the days when you could trundle on down to the local Radio Shack ( seen one lately? hard to find) and put together a project.

Maybe you could contact Lucky Dragon Electronics LTD in Shuangjiezhen and speak with one of their representatives. In Cantonese of course. LOL

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

So for a typical rig, an investment of 0.3% for a brake controller is too much? Poor decision process there.

Right? This is safety!

I don't think reverse engineering would be difficult, but getting someone to manufacture some of the components to spec (ic chips) for a fairly low volume item would be the deal breaker. Gone are the days when you could trundle on down to the local Radio Shack ( seen one lately? hard to find) and put together a project.

Maybe you could contact Lucky Dragon Electronics LTD in Shuangjiezhen and speak with one of their representatives. In Cantonese of course. LOL

Jeff, you crack me up with the dry humor! I was missing "Radio Shaft" stores this weekend already! Now you have to dial up Mouser and wait for simple builders supplies. Wonder if Lucky Dragon has faster shipping?

I'm no electronics engineer, but I figured building a simple variable switching circuit based off a reference voltage from an air pressure sensor wouldn't be a big deal. Of course I would never offer it to anyone else due to liability. I started doing research on building one so I could separately regulate the brake gain on a second trailer.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Henry will tell you that you need to order like 1000 circuit boards to get a price anywhere reasonable. Maxbrake made 1000 units and it took over 6 years to sell them. Not a very good turnover for the investment which is why there wasn't a second production run.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I was going to use a universal board with jumpers. If it's not in production, a custom board isn't really needed. No point in putting a good controller into production if people are going to complain about the cost and not buy them.....

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Carl, I know you are getting a little older now but if your Maxbrake goes out, have Donna show you where you buried one or two of those Mason fruit jars in the backyard (you have probably forgotten by now) and dig them up and buy a DirecLink controller. Of course by the time the controller goes out, you will have forgotten about this thread, in fact, you might not remember who Donna is.

I'm having a hard time remembering who I am.

:P

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Wow, really? So if you are dying of thirst and only have $2 to your name, you would buy a bottle of Perrier for $1.99 when there is a free water faucet right next to the Perrier? After all, when you are dying, isn't your life worth $2?

I'm sorry Mark, spending the extra $1.99 when there is free water available that can do the same thing makes no sense. That is not poor decision making. To listen to you, oh so arrogant as you criticize people for buying a less expensive tool because it is only 0.3% of the cost of their truck just pisses me off. It makes me want to say something that might get me banned from here. How about you chip in and buy us all a direclink...after all it is only 0.3%. Hey you are about 20% older than I am, how about leaving me one in your will?

Why spend $500 on a direclink when the Hayes does the same thing for half the money? I'm happy that you have extra money to throw around to stroke your ego but I was taught to manage my money, not throw it away needlessly. So why have this discussion at all? Why not just come on out and say that anyone that can not afford to spend the extra to put true air brakes on their trailers are all making poor decisions...after all its just some silly percent of what their rigs cost. What about all those people that can't afford an ET hitch? What's the percentage on that one? Those cheap bastards...after all it is about safety. That less expensive hitch is an accident waiting to happen, right? Maybe you should skip next years HDT rally too, after all I bet the majority of the people there will be using poor decision process. You might get killed by some idiot that chose a Maxbrake or a Brakesmart or a Hayes instead of spending twice the money on a Direclink or a Blu-Dot. After all it's just 0.3%. I bet there might even be a chinese tire or two there. My God, how have we all survived? We are all lucky our trailer brakes work at all. It's a miracle that all the tires haven't exploded. Maybe we should all skip the rally. That many cheap people in one place could endanger all of the rich folk like you.

The sky is falling!!! the sky is falling!!!!

2014 smart Fortwo

Quite a reaction. A Hayes is running $275 and a DirecLink around $425 or a $170 spread. When they were available, MaxBrakes were a $450 system, not two for the price of a DirecLink. There was a time when the Hayes was $150. I guess Hayes figured the market and decided to make some more money.

The 0.3% was based upon a $160,000 rig divided into the cost of a controller. The DirecLink is 0.27% while the Hayes is 0.17%. Neither is a big number.

From the threads here in the Forum, Hayes has not shown a long life or at least not as long as MaxBrake's. A consideration.

The question was building an equivalent MaxBrake and be cheaper than a DirecLink. The odds are slim and none.

Either the Hayes or DirecLink is better than a $125 Prodigy for a HDT. Yes Blue Dot is an option but not for cost.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Archived