HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

We're in Spearfish SD for a few more days then heading to the Watertown SD area before we head for MN.

We've new to SD and would love any suggestion for routing and camping between Rapid City and Watertown SD. It would be awesome if there are any lakeside HDT campgrounds or boondocks if that's even a possibility.

Hello Tipper,

Having spent the first 18 years of my life in SD, I know a couple of things you can do there, if you want to stop along the way. If you take I90 to Hwy 25, you can stop in world famous Wall Drug, sure you have seen the signs. On the same route, in Mitchell, you can see the world's only Corn Palace.

I hear Memorial Park Campng Area in Watertown is nice. If you have internet access, there are a few campgrounds along both directions. I just google mapped camgrounds along Hwy 14, a few state parks and campgrounds came up.

If you take Hwy 14 to Hwy 212, that will take you through Pierre. That goes over the Missouri and near the Oahe Dam. You can still stop at Wall Drug, as it is the junction for Hwy 14.Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Shane

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're ambling through MO and IL toward Shipshewana, IN so we can get new Amish innards for our fridge. Not relishing the midwest's heat and humidity dome. Air conditioning has to be one of humanity's bestest inventions.

2001 Volvo 610 HDT with Smart Car bed and ET Junior hitch

2007 New Horizons Summit 38

2013 Smart for Two

2012 Easy Racer Tour Easy recumbent bicycle

"There is no path. Paths are made by walking." – Spanish poet Antonio Machado

Just arrived in Colorado by way of Devils Tower, WY and Scottsbluff, NE. Will be for a couple of weeks in Center City/Black Hawk, Woodland Park, Great Sand Dunes and either Mesa Verde or Rocky Mtn Nat Park before we begin to head east again.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

On the way from Burlington WA to Glacier National Park. Will take a few extra days traveling due to the turista overflow conditions in the Northwest. Took US-20 over the Northern Cascades, through the National Park. Yet another fun drive (no sarcasm intended). Took our first stop in beautiful downtown Wilbur, WA, POP 852. On Wednesday, we'll kick the tires & light the fires & head for the bustling metropolis of St Regis (POP 319) where Nugget RV Resort is located. After burning up all of our waiting days, we should arrive at the West entrance to Glacier National Park for 3 days at the KOA Camp. At that, 75' and 30 amp only. Oh Well, it is, after all, the Going to the Sun Road.

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

We're in Woodland Park, CO for a couple/ few days. No camper this trip, staying in motels, dragging a couple of motorbikes to play on these great roads.

If anyone is here and interested in honking up, give me a holler at 513.284.6927.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Arrived Spokane RV Resort, Deer Park WA. I'm told the drive through sites are 90', plenty of room for my rig. Nice park and the owner tells me I'm the first HDT to visit. Also ajoins the City Golf course.

We'll be here until Monday.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Rick (Rickeieio) stopped by yesterday for a quick visit.....and WhatsNext (David and Sondra) are here until Monday. Rocky and Sherry will be visiting Saturday for a mini-get-together. Mark and Dawn are in for a week in a week or so....and Bruss' will be here all of September. If anyone is in the area we have sites big enough...but you have to reserve. We are in peak time....Even September is looking iffy right now....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yes, our visit in Woodland Park was too brief. Perhaps next time.........

We're now in Lake City, CO, enjoying the scenery, and swatting mosquitoes. Headed back to Indiana and the humidity in a few days.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

In Shipsweanna breaking in our new 5th wheel, purchased a River Stone from Forest River!!!!

Rickeieo, the humidity is not bad.....yet but forecast says by the end of the week heats back

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Left Glacier National this morning with one night at Garrison MT confirmed. Leaving tomorrow AM for somewhere. Can't find a spot or even a walmart. Maybe in Lexington which is about 50 miles from YNP North Gate.

Going to the Sun Road ride was absolutely fabulous. Would have been slightly better with no traffic, but even so, WOW.

Onward Ho!!

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

We arrived at Valley View RV Park (and Laundromat) in Island Park, ID this afternoon. The RV park seems fine so far and I can't complain about $500 a month with 50 amp included for this location near Yellowstone. There was a sign posted on the door when I went to register warning of a mama cougar with cubs being seen at dusk and dawn. I hope to get to see them and getting a decent photo would be very cool!

There is one other HDT'r here from Washington State but they said they are not on the forum. Yesterday, we saw a bobtail white Volvo with a smart car on the deck in Missoula, MT. Was not Paul and Paula, unless they got a new truck.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Garrison MT was nice folks & older park. 9 miles down the road for the best chinese & thai for 100 miles. Still no luck with any reasonable approach to YNP so moved on to Idaho Falls. Not gonna mention the park name. They rented us a space with a known electrical problem, got caught in the lie, and we cut our stay to overnight only. We're now in Richfield UT, mostly because we couldn't find anything for Salt Lake area. Taking a week off & we'll see what we can do after that. This is a nice KOA park with several large sites and a really nice staff.

BTW, some folks we have run into several times said they had seen another HDT rig up at Glacier National Park recently. They said the tractor and camper were painted to match. Anybody know who that was?

Today, however, we plan on starting off real slow and then tapering off.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

We were in Johnson's RV Park in St. Mary for 10 nights, but our truck is not painted to match our trailer.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Today, however, we plan on starting off real slow and then tapering off.

I wanna be like you when I grow up. ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're still in Richfield, UT waiting on Yellowstone. Haven't really ridden the bikes, most of the interesting roads turn to gravel pretty quickly. Did a few maintenance items & will install a couple of fuel filters in the morning. Did finally get a few days at a park up near Salt Lake City, so moving there on the 21st. We leave there on the 24th & head for Yellowstone. This afternoon we got a spot up by Yellowstone's West Gate for 5 days, so we're gonna unload the bikes & chase griz...

Paul & Paula

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Acadia National Park. Timberland RV Park in Trenton, Maine for the next two weeks.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Paul,

If you can make it work, going out of Yellowstone through Lamar Valley and riding the Bear Tooth Highway is something you'd not soon forget. Leave lots of time to stop in Lamar and watch the wildlife.

As you come into Red Lodge, Mt, there's a decent ice cream place on the right, right along a creek. There's a red caboose across the road as a landmark.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

At the FROG International Rally in Goshen In. 5 HDT's here, 4 Volvo;s and my Kenworth. Working as a parking volunteer and even got a visit from a ECR friend!!!

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Heading out of St. Paul, MN, tomorrow. Going west on I-94 through Fargo, ND, then continuing west until we get to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Going to be staying at the Blackwell Island campground there. Check in Friday, Aug. 19. Staying until the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Then heading back to MN. Going to take a more southern return route through Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills. Probably going to hide in Walmarts or rest stops, or warehouse/industrial parks other nights. Since most of the driving we'll be putting miles on and I don't like to check into a campground later in the evening and bother people with the noise. Our friend/neighbor is competing in the Ironman triathlon at Coeur d'Alene. So we're bringing his wife and their 5 children, and their Honda Pilot, with us. He's flying out and then riding back with us. We like to have a crowd in our camper. The kids are pretty good kids too. Ages 1.5 to 12 years.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

In 100 Mile House, BC, wiggling wires inside the local OSB mill. Had a refreshing glass of spring water with forum members BluByYou, Greg and Lynn.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

At Indian Lakes RV (1K Trails) until 8/23 then we head to Diamond Caverns RV (1K Trails) to visit Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park for 4 days. Have not seen another HDT set up for weeks....we are lonely!!! LOL

David

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

At Indian Lakes RV (1K Trails) until 8/23 then we head to Diamond Caverns RV (1K Trails) to visit Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park for 4 days. Have not seen another HDT set up for weeks....we are lonely!!! LOL

David

Dang. We came past there last evening. We live about 20 miles away, near Lawrenceburg. You're welcome to stop by.

My cell # is 513.284.6927.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

David

Enjoy the caves while you are there.

It was good to see you a couple of weeks ago.

In 6 weeks your lonely feeling is going to be cured! See you at the Rally.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Dang. We came past there last evening. We live about 20 miles away, near Lawrenceburg. You're welcome to stop by.

My cell # is 513.284.6927.

Wish I would have known that earlier we could have gotten together. We are at Mammoth Cave NP now until 8/27.

David

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet