First pull with 2015 VNL 730

RickS

Price is going to depend on how you option it. Remember, these trucks are like building a custom home - you can pretty much put on what you want. But no matter how you do that - and you can add a LOT of stuff that is not available on a Sportchassis - it is going to cost LESS than a typical SC. It may be possible to push it higher, but you would have to add big ticket items that are not available on a SC - like an APU for example.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been traveling....in eastern Canada tonight. I will be into this truck for about 185K. That is with the Smart Hydraulic loader deck / Alum-stainless drom/BU camera/ Sat system/ Magnum Inverter/ Bose seats (13K) and pretty much full load 730 with chrome and extended warranty added from the factory. To do this truck again it would be about 205K.

To add to what Rick said.....and this is based off the top of my head - but I'll be REAL close....

For a highly optioned 730 without an APU, with high end seats (not Bose), no radar but most of the other "Rick" options (stainless, sink, fridge, etc), a smart hauler winch-bed by Gregg, FET, Drom box (large "Gregg drom") you are going to be in the 160-ish range. Maybe up to 170 depending on how wild you get with addons.

That is a million mile + truck with components that "should" be trouble free to at least 300K before you might see some accessory failure.

Compare to a "super pickup". The new F550 with hauler bed will cost you around $80K, depending on options. Actual. Pickups are running 65+ actual in the heavy haul category.

If I was younger and had more "time on the road" available to me...and had the funds....you could make a very good case for buying new vs. used. Or at least a very new used....if you get my drift. A 2012 or 13 with real low miles in the 80K range before conversion might be easily justified. But I likely have less than 15 road years left....so I have what I have....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

To add to what Rick said.....and this is based off the top of my head - but I'll be REAL close....

For a highly optioned 730 without an APU, with high end seats (not Bose), no radar but most of the other "Rick" options (stainless, sink, fridge, etc), a smart hauler winch-bed by Gregg, FET, Drom box (large "Gregg drom") you are going to be in the 160-ish range. Maybe up to 170 depending on how wild you get with addons.

That is a million mile + truck with components that "should" be trouble free to at least 300K before you might see some accessory failure.

Compare to a "super pickup". The new F550 with hauler bed will cost you around $80K, depending on options. Actual. Pickups are running 65+ actual in the heavy haul category.

If I was younger and had more "time on the road" available to me...and had the funds....you could make a very good case for buying new vs. used. Or at least a very new used....if you get my drift. A 2012 or 13 with real low miles in the 80K range before conversion might be easily justified. But I likely have less than 15 road years left....so I have what I have....

And what you have is nothing to sneeze at! ;)

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

Steve,.....sorry don't know what SA?

HI Rick! Meant Single Axel. Did you consider Super Singles?

Based on your reported mileage I would guess you were also able to spec the Rear Axel Ratio based on the weight you would be Pulling. Did you go with a 2-something:1 Ratio?

GREAT looking Rig - you definitely got me Day Dreamin'

Steve

CVA 42 #2_165_1969.jpg

These newer engines pull really strong at low rpm.....mine pulls really well even at 1000 rpm in higher gears....like Rick, though I have 1850 torque.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Steve,

I ordered the truck with 2:67 rear end gears.It just idles down the road and still has great power down at 1000 rpm.I had considered Super singles but thought if I got a flat on the rear you would be stranded. :)

I agree on the Flat issue but was just wondering. THanks for the Reply and Enjoy driving a REAL head-turner!

CVA 42 #2_165_1969.jpg

• 3 months later...

Nice Unit Rick! We were looking for a nice used black unit and ended up buying a 2006 Volvo 780 (profile pic)from the other side of the country. It's already converted with a nice deck, added toilet, fresh/grey/black tanks, microwave, fridge and it was registered as a motor home.

We haven't done our yearly trip to Cali yet, hoping in the Spring!

Hello Rick. When we bought our fifth wheel 2 years ago that place was our first trip with it. We had a big job in Banff at the time. Wife and I have been traveling to Southern California area the last few years riding motocross tracks down there. Made some good friends and got to know the area well. Thinking of buying an RV lot somewhere around Palm Springs.

Bought this truck out of Ontario, had a quick 5 minute lesson on how to shift the 13 spd, and bob tailed it home. Love this thing, so easy to drive.

• 2 months later...

Do you see any issues with the back edge of the Smart platform digging into the ground as the car is being unloaded? I couldn't tell if the platform travelled/floated just above the concrete floor, or actually "rode" on the floor.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

There is a large roller between the center frame section that contacts the ground in the lowest position. I will probably carry a piece of plywood to put under the roller if on soft ground.

As usual, practical design I see.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Archived