First pull with 2015 VNL 730

RickS

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the comments. Also, since it has been so hectic trying to get things done I forgot to post a link to a product I brought down to Gregg's that he called "Magic Tape". It is a product I have used in my business for years now mounting all kinds of things to motorsports vehicles. We used it to mount the Jackalopee to the frame and the rear view camera monitor to the dash. This stuff works very well for these kind of things. I think after Gregg saw what it can do he may be using it on some of his trucks. Anyway, here is the link to the SJ3560 3M Dual lock we used.

3M%2520Dual%2520lock%2520SJ3560.jpg

Rick how big is the garage on your trailer?

The garage is 10.5 ft long. I haul a BMW K1300GT Sport Touring Motor bike and a BMW R1200GS Adventure Touring Bike back there. We also use it as bedroom for our twin boys when they travel with us.

2012%2520Excel%2520Wild%2520Cargo%2520W4

Thanks for the welcome and the link to their web site. Just beginning our search for our home on wheels but have already decided what pull vehical I want.

Steven and Daphne

Welcome to the forum! The RV is built by Peterson Industries out of Kansas. They have been building RV's for over 40 years now.

Here is link to their website.

The garage is 10.5 ft long. I haul a BMW K1300GT Sport Touring Motor bike and a BMW R1200GS Adventure Touring Bike back there. We also use it as bedroom for our twin boys when they travel with us.

2012%20Excel%20Wild%20Cargo%20W41GKE%20i

Beautiful trailer! With my primary hobby being working on bicycles and building wheels I often think that a toy hauler would be the way to go. The obvious tradeoff is reduced living space...decisions, decisions!

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

Larry,

Our last 5th was a 39ft two bedroom two washroom setup and we actually find the TH more versatile for the things we do. Sometimes when its raining my DW will do her workout back there with the TV on. Sometime we haul five mountain bikes and one of my motorbikes. Also, can haul the Smart car if needed. We've seen garages turned into sewing rooms or woodworking rooms. We just liked the options. We have more than enough front space for us.

2012%2520Excel%2520Wild%2520Cargo%2520W4

Rick, do both sides slide out? I also can see a window over the fireplace/TV. Is that a privacy wall that doesn't go all the way to the roof?

Your thoughts about having enough space up front make perfect sense. Any problems with smell from the vehicles being inside?

Baron,

The unit has 3 slides. The two in the middle are very large slides. The space above the fire place is a loft bed with a widow up there. Never had any problems with smell from the bikes. The garage area does have vents on each side wall of the garage that draws air out of the area while you travel but I have never really needed to use them.

good lookin rig-----getting a few on the road now----

97 9200 cornbinder super 10 M11E cummins 1350 ftlbs
81 CJ7 jeep
2000 36ft nuwa king dome onan 6500LP gen/remote start
94 sport Nautique
2007 dyna wide glide 6 speed
N7UVW
2007 30ft work&play-LK-- toy hauler by forest river

2006 Alfa toyhouse 40 ft

2010 42kz Escalade toyhauler

Baron,

The unit has 3 slides. The two in the middle are very large slides. The space above the fire place is a loft bed with a widow up there. Never had any problems with smell from the bikes. The garage area does have vents on each side wall of the garage that draws air out of the area while you travel but I have never really needed to use them.

Poor widow. Did her husband leave her penniless so you gave her a place to stay? :P

Rick- What is the Item at the end of the kitchen island? Looks like a small fridge/freezer door.

That is a U-line ice maker I had them install when the unit was build....it also doubles as a freezer if needed.

Have you driven it enough to figure fuel mileage? I wonder if like teh ldt's it is worse with all the smog related changes. Congratulations BTW

I have only put on about 1000 kms (620 miles) and if the DID is right it said 12.9 empty and 9.9 with the trailer on. The gearing I picked seems to be just idling with the eco-torque power band works very well. About 1100 RPM @ 65 mph. This with 2.67 rear end ratio.

Poor widow. Did her husband leave her penniless so you gave her a place to stay? :P

LOL! Spell checker worked anyway. :)

Great looking setup Rick. Our new to us Excel has the same paint scheme. Makes me want to consider a new paint job on the KW.

We went the opposite route and got rid of our toy hauler in favor of more living space.

Hopefully get to see you around Alberta one of these days

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Archived