Cheap propane!

dartmouth01

Hi all,

I discovered recently that BJ's Wholesale Clubs refills propane tanks, and the price is ALOT better than what I've seen elsewhere. Normally, I pay around $30-$35 to refill an empty 30lb tank (U-hauls and campgrounds usually), but as of the last two BJ's that I've filled up at for propane, I've paid $19 and change. However, they don't seem to do it by weight, they just charge for per tank, so make sure to be at empty or near empty to reap the best savings. Also, you need to remove the tanks to get them filled. Membership does cost money, but we've signed up for the free 60 day trial for now. I think the savings from propane alone would more than offset the membership cost, and BJ's does sell discounted gasoline at the locations I've been to as well, to help save more money. Unfortunately, no diesel, as far as I've seen.

You can check bjs.com to see what locations have propane and gas, but everyone I've looked at so far does, so it seems like they have good coverage. If anyone has any other good propane places, let me know!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I discovered recently that BJ's Wholesale Clubs refills propane tanks, and the price is ALOT better than what I've seen elsewhere. Normally, I pay around $30-$35 to refill an empty 30lb tank (U-hauls and campgrounds usually), but as of the last two BJ's that I've filled up at for propane, I've paid $19 and change. However, they don't seem to do it by weight, they just charge for per tank, so make sure to be at empty or near empty to reap the best savings. Also, you need to remove the tanks to get them filled. Membership does cost money, but we've signed up for the free 60 day trial for now. I think the savings from propane alone would more than offset the membership cost, and BJ's does sell discounted gasoline at the locations I've been to as well, to help save more money. Unfortunately, no diesel, as far as I've seen.

You can check bjs.com to see what locations have propane and gas, but everyone I've looked at so far does, so it seems like they have good coverage. If anyone has any other good propane places, let me know!

Last time I filled my propane tanks was at SKP park in Sutherlin,Or @ $1.75/gal.

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

You can also check the Costco's around you. One here in Tucson now sells propane by the gallon @ 1.99, which is really cheap for Tucson. Got my 20lb BBQ tank filled for $9.19 including tax. I'd take my 30lbs there but it is 9 miles one way and I still might since the local guy charges $2.97 a gallon.

Have to find out if Costco in Phoenix or Tempe pump propane. It just so happens I have an empty #30 tank sitting on my trailer so I'll let you know tomorrow. I do know that Costco gas here isn't any cheaper than at the pump at the corner. Same price.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

Is that $1.50/gallon ....... ? If so that would be quite a bargain!

Yes it was, I filled up twice when I was out there.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

I thought I was getting a deal in Iowa having my 20# tank filled for $13.75, The BJ's in the area are $17.xx price hasn't changed in the two years I have used.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

About a month ago, I bought 81 gallons of propane, delivered by the bulk truck and got if for $2.39/gallon, which is the lowest price that I know of in this area. Love's truck stop just down the road will fill RV tanks for $2.99/gallon. ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wish there was an app for reporting propane prices, like Gasbuddy for gasoline. At least with U-Haul's website you can check the propane rate when you search for locations, but thats the best I've seen.

Not an app but a website: altfuelprices.com Over on the left check the box for LPG and put in a location.

It's not a very complete site, but that's probably because people don't know about it and therefore aren't contributing. In order to become robust, it has to have reports, just like gasbuddy.

I've added a location before and it takes just a few seconds--they just want the address and maybe phone. Updating prices takes about 1 second. And, the best part for me is that there is a space for COMMENTS. I have a 40-foot motorhome so I need to know if they can fill onboard tanks--not all propane places do. So I'm noting that (yes OR no) in the comments as well as updating prices.

I have nothing to do with the site except for being excited I found it and I don't have to troll the online yellow pages for places that might be able to fill my tanks. I'm a fulltimer so I'm almost always in an unfamiliar place when I need to buy propane. Also, the map updates as you scroll, so you can just move it along your route to see what's available.

I used the site recently going from Colorado to Texas, and I wanted to get propane somewhere on the way. I called to get prices and chose the one that had it for $2.05/gallon. There's a bigger town 100 miles farther down the road, where one place had it for $3.00/gallon and the other for $3.50/gallon. So I saved at least $20 and I've seen even bigger differentials in other areas.

I wish RVers, in particular, would start using it and contributing to it. For example, there are no stations listed in Yuma. Surely there's a snowbird there who could contribute. FWIW, there are a lot listed in Phoenix. The whole site is kind of hit or miss right now. But even as it is, it's a great help in finding places that I might be able to use, but it would be even better if the prices were more current.

used to fill at loves @2.99, now fill at Egan's in SeaTac @2.50. he says this is his last year in business. He is 78.

The General area in Seattle is @3.00+

I called for a quote to fill a 500 gallon in Washington State, I was quoted @1.69.

Fulltiming since 1989.

No TLC's--

Accessing the internet with Wifi Evdo enabled mobile card from Verizon

Wifi SSID r0adwarrior on the road for Access to Internet, ask for Key.

Wifi SSID r0adwarrior for Access to Webpages in Bus.

http://roadwarrior.free-man.com/

• 2 weeks later...

In Quartzsite right now the PIt Stop is $250 per gal and there is a truck that will roll by rour RV and charges $3.50!!

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Archived