Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just discovered HDT RV Haulers and excited to learn more. We have been following Super Class C motorhomes looking for one to buy just as soon as our house sells. But the HDT RV Haulers are attractive since we can get a used one and a larger 5th Wheel RV for significantly less than many Super Cs. In either case, we are happy for the added safety either offers since they both utilize Class 8 HDTs.

And after watching various YouTube videos and reading this forum, we are looking more closely at Volvo chassis. Just need to decide to build or buy. We want to haul our 2013 Jeep Wrangler on the truck and not tow or get a toyhauler/garage Fiver.

We're in Norcal and looking to connect with other HDT RV Hauler owners.

Marty

Edited by Marty Main
additions

There are some of us carrying a car other than a Smart car but length can be a problem.  Most would like to be 65' overall but many are over that some.  I would suggest you investigate the options and know what you can do with the Jeep and how long a 5er you need.  Figuring it all out is somewhat complicated because different trucks are different lengths but generally you should calculate 56" as a minimum clearance between the back of the Jeep to the front of the 5er.  We Carry a Subaru Fotester on our HDT but we were able to register our HDT without the generally required camper requirements in Colorado.  That is not generally available in other states.  To reduce overall length a few load their Jeeps at a significant angle.  In any case the frame on your HDT may need to be lengthened  which requires some planning.  

We have been using our current HDT for about 14 or 15 years now and it has met our needs.  Glad we went that way.  If you have specific questions there are a number of knowledgeable people on the forum that usually can help.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Hi to all.  By way of introduction, my wife and I live in North Alabama.  We are slowly working our way toward a full time RV life style.  We are studying options for when we replace our current truck and we might move toward a heavier FW in the future also.  I farm and I own 3 class 8 trucks so I am quite familiar with trucks.  But I am getting bed ideas from this and other forums.  I would like to be  able to haul vehicle such as a Jeep, but I see that length becomes a problem.  

Length is just one compromise.  RVing is a series of them.  If you're comfortable with long vehicles, being a little over 65' isn't much to worry about, until you get caught.  We're 70' and I don't think about it.  Our camper is 43' hitch to tail, and we carry a smart.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hey all! I have a 42’ forest river XLR thunderbolt and have just purchased a 2015 Volvo 670 to haul it. I am picking it up next week and will start prepping it to haul my RV. I’m pretty excited to get this built! 

my one question Currently  is for the fifth wheel hitch itself, with the truck being air ride, does the hitch need to be as well on the HDT? 

Thanks! 
Donovan 

12 minutes ago, Donovan said:

Hey all! I have a 42’ forest river XLR thunderbolt and have just purchased a 2015 Volvo 670 to haul it. I am picking it up next week and will start prepping it to haul my RV. I’m pretty excited to get this built! 

my one question Currently  is for the fifth wheel hitch itself, with the truck being air ride, does the hitch need to be as well on the HDT? 

Thanks! 
Donovan 

Short answer is "YES".  Some have pulled with a commercial hitch, or fixed rv type hitch, (me included), but the benefits of the air hitch are well documented.  Items in the trailer stay put, cabinets stay organized, and trim doesn't fall off.

So, what's in the trailer?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

On 2/15/2020 at 1:33 PM, DG N. AL said:

Hi to all.  By way of introduction, my wife and I live in North Alabama.  We are slowly working our way toward a full time RV life style.  We are studying options for when we replace our current truck and we might move toward a heavier FW in the future also.  I farm and I own 3 class 8 trucks so I am quite familiar with trucks.  But I am getting bed ideas from this and other forums.  I would like to be  able to haul vehicle such as a Jeep, but I see that length becomes a problem.  

Where are you located in North Alabama? We are in the NE, Alabama, NW, Georgia area. Length can be an issue but to be honest about it. Most of us figure if we are caught, we will chalk it up to enjoying the lifestyle.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

It is also important that the hitch articulates.   When a 20,000 pound truck leans one way and an equally heavy trailer doesn't or twists another way everything is under extreme stress.  RV's are not built to stand this kind of stress.  When I bought my first HDT the cost of the hitch was something I also questioned  but thinking about it made sense.  I wouldn't pull an RV without an air hitch.

Randy

We are from Bremen, IN.  We bought our 2006 Volvo VNL780 in 2011 and our 2008 K-Z Escalade 41CKS in 2012.  We sold the house in 2013 and started full-timing in 2014.  We carry two lightweight motorcycles (a Kymco Spade 150 and a Honda XR650R) in the back of the Escalade.  My wife (call sign Scout) takes drag or point with the 1999 Suburban depending on whether we are leaving or arriving at our destination.  When the paid-for 1999 Suburban finally gives up the ghost, we will consider replacing it with something that will fit on the bed of the Volvo.....or not.  Driving two vehicles works out well for individual music and temp control preferences and also allows her to "scout" roads and questionable areas before committing to them with the tractor and 5'er.  It costs a little more in fuel, but not enough to break the bank.  Radios with headsets provide immediate communications/conversation capabilities.  We are very happy that we followed a fellow Escapee's advice back in 2010 to consider an HDT for our TV.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

11 hours ago, Donovan said:

Thanks! 
Donovan 

Hi Donovan,

Welcome to the forum. It is best to have an air hitch to save having your trailer having a rough ride. There are 3 brands that come to mind. Take a like at the following brands. ET Hitch, Trailer Saver, and Comfort Ride. Your trailer will Thank You for having an air hitch. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all went thru this at some point in putting a truck together. The Resource Guide in the HDT section at the top of the thread is a big help. I'll try to post a link to the Resource Guide.

Wish you the best in your build,
Al

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

11 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Where are you located in North Alabama? We are in the NE, Alabama, NW, Georgia area. Length can be an issue but to be honest about it. Most of us figure if we are caught, we will chalk it up to enjoying the lifestyle.

We are between Decatur and Muscle Shoals.  Yes length does concern me.  It limits stopping places when traveling.  

10 hours ago, DG N. AL said:

We are between Decatur and Muscle Shoals.  Yes length does concern me.  It limits stopping places when traveling.  

By any chance are you in TN now?

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

Before we got the hdt, I pulled a 40' cargo trailer w/ living quarters with a truck like yours.  Maneuverability is about the same with the Volvo as with the p/u.  It would be interesting to hook up with my day cab Mack and try it, as it's about half the length of the Volvo.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 2/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, Randyretired said:

There are some of us carrying a car other than a Smart car but length can be a problem.  Most would like to be 65' overall but many are over that some.  I would suggest you investigate the options and know what you can do with the Jeep and how long a 5er you need.  Figuring it all out is somewhat complicated because different trucks are different lengths but generally you should calculate 56" as a minimum clearance between the back of the Jeep to the front of the 5er.  We Carry a Subaru Fotester on our HDT but we were able to register our HDT without the generally required camper requirements in Colorado.  That is not generally available in other states.  To reduce overall length a few load their Jeeps at a significant angle.  In any case the frame on your HDT may need to be lengthened  which requires some planning.  

We have been using our current HDT for about 14 or 15 years now and it has met our needs.  Glad we went that way.  If you have specific questions there are a number of knowledgeable people on the forum that usually can help.

Randy,

Thanks for the reply. I have discovered much of what you said from other sources, but really appreciate the conformations. It seems 65' overall is nearly impossible by the time the truck in lengthened, axles moved rearward and we get a decent sized fiver for full time living. But that really doesn't concern me too much. I'm just thrilled to have the possibility of a Condo tractor, my Jeep and a house-on-wheels to spend the next years seeing this beautiful country.

Best regards! 

Edited by Marty Main
spelling

Marty,

The length question is often misunderstood when people begin looking at an HDT.  I am glad to see you have already considered it.  65' isn't the rule in every state as some allow 70' or more and enforcement is not a priority in many states.  A well planned HDT makes pulling a large 5er a breeze and is certainly a safer way to travel.  Wish you the best on finding YOUR HDT!

Randy

The 65' length is a consideration BUT, for a RV trailer it may not be as big a deal.    I have a 48' Kentucky drop frame van trailer I am converting to an RV trailer.     It was really important to ME that the combination was 65" as that is the limit for RV's in Kansas and most of the states I travel in.    Because my rig looks like a racing rig or commercial set up I want to be sure to have ALL my duck in a row when traveling.      An HDT with a Smart car or Jeep  and RV 5th wheel is pretty easy to identify as a pleasure or personal vehicle.    The scrutiny of a personal vehicle that is clearly recreational is far less likely IMHO.      That isn't to say that a rig  in excess of state law wont be targeted BUT, it is very rare.   

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the add, my name is Andy and I’ve been a lurker for a very long time now. Been kicking around the idea of going the HDT route for almost 10 years. We’re several years off from retirement and I doubt we’d every go full time. I pull a 40’ 20k toy hauler with an F-450 and it’s time to have a truck that won’t get pushed around in the Colorado mountains and will be a more comfortable/safer ride for the longer road trips. We thought this would be the year we find a truck and start building it but, got, what I think is a solid truck in great condition so we can start using it this year and maybe plan a build for the next one.  I’ll apologize in advance for all the stupid questions I’ll be asking.

Andy 

2011 Volvo 730

2017 Spartan Toy Hauler

2021KTM 300 XC-W 

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjj.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjjl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]

Orange, there are no stupid questions.  Just spend some time looking in the Resource Guide before asking.  Lots of answers to questions you forgot to ask.

Oh yeah, welcome.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

12 hours ago, Orange300 said:

Thanks for the add, my name is Andy and I’ve been a lurker for a very long time now. Been kicking around the idea of going the HDT route for almost 10 years. We’re several years off from retirement and I doubt we’d every go full time. I pull a 40’ 20k toy hauler with an F-450 and it’s time to have a truck that won’t get pushed around in the Colorado mountains and will be a more comfortable/safer ride for the longer road trips. We thought this would be the year we find a truck and start building it but, got, what I think is a solid truck in great condition so we can start using it this year and maybe plan a build for the next one.  I’ll apologize in advance for all the stupid questions I’ll be asking.

Hi Orange,

Welcome to the forum. 2X on the research guide. A lot of great info. There are several HDT rallies during the year. You might want to think about going to one. You don't need a truck to go to the rallies, just a list of questions and the desire. What part of the county are you in ?

Best of luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Orange,

Welcome to the forum. 2X on the research guide. A lot of great info. There are several HDT rallies during the year. You might want to think about going to one. You don't need a truck to go to the rallies, just a list of questions and the desire. What part of the county are you in ?

Best of luck,
Al

Al,

I think we'll try to make a rally eventually. We'll be in Fla. during the national this year, might be able to stop in for a day or two. We're in Colorado and will be passing right by it. I have a truck now, or will this weekend. I narrowed my search down to a 730 and found a few nice options to build but when Tom Macklin listed his truck, I had to jump on it. I'm flying out Saturday to pick it up. 

Andy

Andy 

2011 Volvo 730

2017 Spartan Toy Hauler

2021KTM 300 XC-W 

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjj.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjjl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]

1 hour ago, COFLTravler said:

Andy,

Do you live in Colorado now?  

Mark

Mark,

Yes, I've lived in Colorado Springs all my life. Are in in CO?

Andy 

Andy 

2011 Volvo 730

2017 Spartan Toy Hauler

2021KTM 300 XC-W