Liability Insurance

Pinecone

My question is to any of you who may be "hanging out a shingle" for handyman type services to fellow RV folks.

Seems to me it's one thing to lend a neighbor a hand on a project or repair they may be working on but I am wondering about those of you that may "advertise" and charge for services while you are on the road. Do you carry insurance coverage for your work? I can find next to nothing on this topic so any insight anyone may have would be appreciated!

Having previously worked in insurance I can tell you that yes, you should have a business policy that provides liability insurance as well as meeting the requirements of workers compensation coverage for the state you are working in. Traveling while doing so will be a problem as each state sells it own insurance specific to the rules and regulations of the state. There is some type of requirement for workers compensation coverage also. That may be waived in some states because you are an owner, but not all. If you are going to park in an area for awhile, you may be better off getting a job working for someone so that the insurance requierments are taken care of by that company. This would be anyone that issues you a W-2 and no 1099 pay/work.

Pat DeJong

As above. Carry Liability, Injury, and business insurance. Workmen's Comp in the jurisdiction you're working in. Not worth trying to work under the table.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks, I sort of knew the answer but thanks for confirming it. I'm changing my domicile from Colorado to South Dakota. I am self employed and "legal" in the state of Colorado but 90% of my business comes from engineering and consulting services provided out of state. I guess my next questions are for the state of South Dakota.

I'm a darn good engineer but I get lost really quick when it comes to this stuff. I don't often even know the right questions. Ha!

Thanks so much for the replies.

You also might want to explore whether or not you would be required to have a CDL license. Seems if you are operating a business consideration out of your RV rig, especially if you "hang out a shingle" with signage on your rig you might be considered commercial in many jurisdictions and subject to commercial regulations including a CDL and commercial vehicle insurance. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Depending on the type of work you are doing, you may also need a business license from the jurisdiction where you are working.

Thanks for all the replies. I think the hinge is in. "Depending on the type of work you are doing". My field is electrical engineering. I never had to pay much attention to the DC side or solar in the past but I have dug in pretty deeply as of late. Even as an engineer I have had to spend a bunch of time re/educating myself. As a side note I will say that there is a ton of misinformation and marketing hype out there. Unfortunately the average consumer has no way to know that nor do they have enough knowledge to know true from false...... I had thought about offering solar installs or design assists for other RV folks. All things considered I am going to stay the 'ell away from installs.

I am about 90% sure I will need to establish a business address in SD to make this work. I can work from anywhere doing what I currently do and I am covered since it is all either computer or telephone.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Good to know Kirk!

I suppose I should introduce myself. Name is Kent I don't have a date yet but will be full time by early fall.

Kinda scary to be quite honest. With this much of a life style change my list of things to figure out and take care of is getting longer not shorter. Ha!

I'm 57.. Pretty much woke up one morning, realized I was not getting any younger and decided to take the plunge.

Good to know Kirk!

I suppose I should introduce myself. Name is Kent I don't have a date yet but will be full time by early fall.

Kinda scary to be quite honest. With this much of a life style change my list of things to figure out and take care of is getting longer not shorter. Ha!

I'm 57.. Pretty much woke up one morning, realized I was not getting any younger and decided to take the plunge.

I'm 58 and curious about your path. I have been self-employed for 30+ years with a background in mechanical things having worked for P&G in manufacturing and later as a contract project superintendent. Loved the work but the politics of big business wore me down. I have enjoyed being self-employed, having learned to parlay my mechanical experience into a niche market installing mechanical equipment, both mechanical only and some electrically controlled. I do my own electrical. I am remodeling a 2004 Newmar Kountry Aire to suit the lifestyle I want to live and am downsizing somewhat but with 3000SF of shop space filled with lots of tools that I will NEVER be able to sell for what they are worth, I am looking at keeping it as my backup and enjoying the trips we take.

Please continue to share as to your journey, I am interested. Send an email once in a while.

Marcel

but with 3000SF of shop space filled with lots of tools that I will NEVER be able to sell for what they are worth, I am looking at keeping it as my backup

If you will NEVER be able to sell them for what they are worth, then what is the need to hold onto them? You can sell them today for what you can get (even if not their worth) or sell them tomorrow/next month/next year for the exact same thing. Sell them today and enjoy yourself. Tools will not appreciate in value and may depreciate, the money from the sale may grow if invested.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

If you will NEVER be able to sell them for what they are worth, then what is the need to hold onto them? You can sell them today for what you can get (even if not their worth) or sell them tomorrow/next month/next year for the exact same thing. Sell them today and enjoy yourself. Tools will not appreciate in value and may depreciate, the money from the sale may grow if invested.

Mister Phil,

While you speak the truth and logical path; you are NOT a tool guy! I have 150+ tons of old iron I am likely to drag half way across the country when I finish my time in Kansas. Once you have a "shop" with all the stuff to do what ever you do, it is nearly impossible to part with them. It will be a mess for who ever has to clean up afterwards but, just last week I got 6K lbs of belt sander to play with!

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Archived