Someone tell me WHO to talk to

I am BEYOND frustrated. Someone please tell me who to talk to. I've talked to 2 techs, and 4 CR at DirectTV, just today. Twice they've sent people to our SD forwarding address. When I called this morning a CR said ' oh, we don't go to your campsite because we don't do that." She transferred me to someone else because I said I'll just cancel the entire thing. I told that gal the same thing.....we took all our home equipment, dish and have a tripod. She told me Winegard does the installs. Okay.....I called Winegard. They said they don't do installs and Direct TV is wrong. She said our home dish won't work. My husband informed her that there are several hundred other RV setups around that would prove her incorrect.

So at this point, I don't know what to do. Every time I call Direct, they say they can't do that or give me Winegards number.

Someone help me please?????

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

What is it you need help with? You're probably on your own, as far as equipment installation, but it really isn't hard. The dish aiming can be challenging, but experience will speed it up. What part is the most trouble?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It seems to me that DirecTV is not understanding exactly what you want to accomplish. If I remember correctly, you sold your house, moved into your RV, changed your domicile to South Dakota, and you want DirecTV to come to your RV and hook up your receiver(s), and you are currently in an RV park close to where your former house is. Is that correct?

Paul

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Everything is hooked up in the RV. We've been watching the DVR. My husband is trying to aim the satellite. We're inside and it won't get past 98%. We've pulled up the Dish Pointing and it gave us azmuth etc. Hubby set the tripod up that we got from TV4RV. So we're thinking it's something DirectTV has to do, but are you saying its up to us now?

He thinks he's missing a step somewhere.

Everything is hooked up in the RV. We've been watching the DVR. My husband is trying to aim the satellite. We're inside and it won't get past 98%. So we're thinking it's something DirectTV has to do, but are you saying its up to us now?

98% is an excellent signal! Your system should be getting channels.

Paul

The signal strength isn't 98%, the Satellite setup gets to 98% then stops.

We have the Azumuth, elevation and tilt all set to what it says on the DirectTV screen. It's only picking up transponders 22, 26-32. Those all have high numbers. All other transponders are 0.

We're missing something but don't know what.

98% of set-up, then failing sounds like it's not on the bird. Go through the dish aiming procedure first, then try a set-up.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The signal strength isn't 98%, the Satellite setup gets to 98% then stops.

Not quite sure what you are seeing. Is this the bar along the bottom of the screen that shows "acquiring guide"? Rebooting the receiver by pushing in the red button in the slot where the authorization card is located may help. Just to verify, are you using the dish that you took off your house?

Paul

Not quite sure what you are seeing. Is this the bar along the bottom of the screen that shows "acquiring guide"? Rebooting the receiver by pushing in the red button in the slot where the authorization card is located may help. Just to verify, are you using the dish that you took off your house?

Paul

Yes, we are using the dish off the house.

Yes, the bar on the bottom of the screen says 'receiving satellite info' it's a green bar and keeps stopping at 98%.

I just pushed the red reset button.......

Yes, we are using the dish off the house.

Yes, the bar on the bottom of the screen says 'receiving satellite info' it's a green bar and keeps stopping at 98%.

Then rebooting the receiver may solve the problem. One more question. How long has it been since you used the DirecTV system in your former house?

Paul

Then rebooting the receiver may solve the problem. One more question. How long has it been since you used the DirecTV system in your former house?

Paul

We last used it this past Saturday.

We last used it this past Saturday.

Ok. thought it had been a while and the receiver needed to be reauthorized. When aiming dish, what was the level of signal strength you were getting? And what is the model of your receiver?

Paul

We decided to walk the park and look for someone with our Direct dish. We found someone with our exact dish and tripod. He came over and walked my husband through everything. We were SOOOO close. It was just a matter of tweeking the dish. Our calculations were only a degree or two off. Our TV showed 44.....the guy who came over said he does his at 45. His son in law was a DirectTV tech.

As I was talking to his wife, I told her I HATE being this new to something. I feel so stupid about everything. It sometimes takes someone to walk you through a process the first time. Thank goodness there is this forum and helpful RVers out there.

Thank you for your input. You guys weren't kidding when you said aiming the dish is a PITA. It really is all about aiming that thing.

We have TV and I could kiss you all for your help!!!

Congrats on getting it going! Persistence pays! When we set up our dish, I use dishpointer.com to find the correct azimuth, elevation, and skew. The one thing I like about dishpointer is that you can move the location curser to your exact spot. Sometimes when just using a zip code or a city name, you can be a few miles off. I dont know if it makes that much back orh difference, but I like accuracy. After I get the settings, I set the elevation and skew before I put the dish on a level tripod, then check again to verify that the tripod is still level. Then I turn the dish to the approximate azimuth. Then with the receiver set on "signal strength" I can either hear when I am close or if the dish is too far away to hear the tv, my wife and I use walkie-talkies to communicate. If I swing the dish, and no signal, I will then tip the dish back, and swing through the arc of the azimuth. I usually get a signal one way or the other. Another thing I do is if I cant get the signal strength as high as I would like it by swinging through the azimuth arc, I will stop at the highest signal, and then tip the dish back or forward to see if that improves the signal.

The more you set up the dish, the easier it will get, and you will learn some setup tricks of your own.

Again, congrats, and enjoy your DirecTV.

Paul

Thank you for your input. You guys weren't kidding when you said aiming the dish is a PITA. It really is all about aiming that thing.

That's why we spent the money to put a Trav'ler on the roof of our RV! Expensive, perhaps, but there's no tears or tearing our hair out trying to aim the thing! Push a button and the dish finds all three satellites all by itself with no further help from us.

We mostly boondock in the Southwest during the winters, so we rarely have to worry about trees, but if we're in an RV park with trees we request "a site so that our roof-mounted satellite TV dish can find the satellites." We don't even carry a portable dish, but if we were going to, I'd carry a dome that would find the satellite automatically. True, you would only be able to get SD programming for DirecTV on a dome (we're Dish customers), but for the day or two we might be blocked by trees, it would be worth it "for us."

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Thanks again everyone. Now that's its done, it all seems SOOO easy and I feel stupid. I think we made it more difficult that it was. Like Darryl said, we're the new resident experts! We'll pass along what we learned to another newbie.

I have followed your numerous posts on this subject as you prepared for full-timing. I'm very glad to see that you got things working. Just a couple of things to keep in mind as you go forward. Keeping the mounting mast absolutely vertical is key to success in working with the DirecTV Slimline dish. But, I suspect the instructions that came with your tripod have already alerted you to this.

Second, a lesson I have learned the hard way, is to put the tilt setting on 90 degrees when you do the first part of the alignment (the azimuth and elevation settings). This way it is much easier to be sure you are getting the azimuth setting correct by making sure your LNB arm lines up with the azimuth reading on your compass. (I am not going to tell you how many times I have lined up on satellite 110 versus 101 by not following this simple rule.)

And, as others have said, this will get much easier as you get more practice setting this up. Just keep in mind that you are aiming at something the size of a school bus that is 23,000 miles away. So one degree can be a really big thing at that distance.

Do enjoy.

Second, a lesson I have learned the hard way, is to put the tilt setting on 90 degrees when you do the first part of the alignment (the azimuth and elevation settings). This way it is much easier to be sure you are getting the azimuth setting correct by making sure your LNB arm lines up with the azimuth reading on your compass. (I am not going to tell you how many times I have lined up on satellite 110 versus 101 by not following this simple rule.)A

And, as others have said, this will get much easier as you get more practice setting this up. Just keep in mind that you are aiming at something the size of a school bus that is 23,000 miles away. So one degree can be a really big thing at that distance.

Do enjoy.

Hubby said a big thanks for that tip!!

This has just been the weirdest day all around. Probably not the best day to try and set up the dish. Dog had minor surgery, multi city power outage, picked up our new truck today and I must have pulled out the wrong pair of underwear this morning because you know how THAT can irritate you ALL day!!!!

Today is day 5 and I'm off to get the hitch installed in our new truck. I made EXTRA sure I have good fitting panties this morning. It's going to be a great day!!! I LOVED having my TV back. It gives you a sense of normalcy when everything else is chaos! Nothing like a comfy episode of Golden Girls, a glass of wine and no wedgies! My hubby loves how it takes SO little to make me happy!!

Archived