Digital Cable TV Question

unless you're way out in the boonies being serviced by some local yocal cable company, all the major cable and SAT providers switched to all digital years before the Gov mandate for OTA digital. The Gov mandate did not apply to cable/SAT providers. It required full power OTA TV stations to convert in 2009, and the remaining low power stations to convert by this Sept 2015.

Jim

unless you're way out in the boonies being serviced by some local yocal cable company, all the major cable and SAT providers switched to all digital years before the Gov mandate for OTA digital.

But not all TVs are able to "see" digital cable, right?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Well if your TV is over 10 yrs old, you might still have an analog relic, that's not digital cable ready. I believe the last TV's without digital cable ready included, were made before 2005. When cable companies first starting going all digital back then they offered free converters to those still using analog sets. Today, I believe their response would be, join the 21st century and go buy a new TV. but some may have a few of the old converters laying around.

Just to clarify we're talking here about different issues, digital cable ready in its early form was a feature included on many old analog TV's but required a set top cable box. Later versions allowed a cable card to be plugged directly into the TV, eliminating the cable box.

However an integrated digital tuner, capable of receiving OTA digital signals, is a separate feature that came later.

But not all TVs are able to "see" digital cable, right?

Jim

unless you're way out in the boonies being serviced by some local yocal cable company, all the major cable and SAT providers switched to all digital years before the Gov mandate for OTA digital. The Gov mandate did not apply to cable/SAT providers. It required full power OTA TV stations to convert in 2009, and the remaining low power stations to convert by this Sept 2015.

You're right. My brain was in analog mode.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Even if your TV doesn't have a built in digital receiver, you can get a digital antenna (if you dont already have satellite). The conversion to digital signal should be solved with an antenna no matter how old your TV is. Regarding this issue, I found this link to be a useful source of information about the best ways to get digital TV in your RV depending on your RV and your travel habits.

Yes, part of the OTA digital conversion was that the cable systems had to supply lifeline analog service for a number of years. That's why cable had some analog channels that could be received by an analog TV while the rest were transitioned over to their digital set-top boxes.

That requirement has since passed, allowing cable systems to go all digital. Part of the digital migration includes encryption and mandatory use of their proprietery set top box, which is individually addressable and gives the provider means to control access to the system without having to go out and physically disconnect the cable.

Digital antennas are the same as the old time analog antennas, with elements turned to the digital bands. Many times

you will do just as well with the old antenna. The television must have a digital turner [or a converter for old analog tuners]

to receive all the new digital antennas.

I have a old sensar antenna [pre digital] that I added the upgrade digital channel element, small improvement on several

channels.

Almost all tv's sold in the last 10 years have a built in digital tuner, if older than that, you will probably need a converter box.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Even if your TV doesn't have a built in digital receiver, you can get a digital antenna . . .

Digital antennas are the same as the old time analog antennas, with elements turned to the digital bands . . .

This thread is about Digital/Analog cable TV, not OTA TV.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived