Heater lines rear heater

On The Road

I was removing the side panel today and was looking at my heater hoses to the rear ac/sleeper. They really look bad and I thought I remember a thread where this was addressed. I have searched and have not found the thread. I have looked in the resource guide and cannot find anything about the heater hoses or pipes going to the rear. Has anyone addressed this and how did you replace them? I would have never been able to see these pipes without removing that side panel. I sure need to replace them now and not on the side of the road somewhere. Are these pipes a OEM item or do you just try to find the correct size and fix it that way. Looks like good heater hose would last a long time.

Jim

">9ed2381e-e012-485f-924a-b1f342a69abc.jpg

2001 610 Volvo -Volvo power 465HP/1650 -autoshift
2009 Smart Passion / cross loaded on Volvo
2014.5 Mobile Suite 41 RSSB4

VOLUNTEER CHRISTIAN BUILDERS

I used 3/4" copper and sweat fitted a new set. To be honest, if I was confronted with those rusty lines again, I'd ask myself how often you REALLY need heat in the bunk area. I'd eliminate them, front is enough.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

It may have been me a year or 2 ago. I agree with Sibernut. Mine were replaced as they were leaking. They were replaced with silicone hoses as I recall. I don't use the sleeper except for storage so heating is a non issue. Also there is no plan in the works to be ain a location that would need a second heater. That pleasure will be left Star Dreamer in Minnesota.

One tricky hose to watch out for is a short horizontal one behind the generator, tite to the engine. Drivers side. Mine was found to be gishy and leaking. A real pain to get at. It took hrs to re and re.

R

Jim, for others info, you could see them if you are under your truck looking up to check for condition.

I too can't find anything on the resource guide for them.

Honestly, I don't remember, but I think my metal ones were simple bypassed with heater hose by a prior owner, hung on the old metal pipes.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I am thinking either removing by looping the hose in the engine compartment which would eliminate the heater in the sleeper area. I do not remember ever using the sleeper heater. Next option is the good heater hose. Those heater pipes really look bad. How much anti freeze must be drained to work on these lines?

The ac lines are in the same area, has anyone had any trouble with them. Now would be the time to address those also.

Jim

">9ed2381e-e012-485f-924a-b1f342a69abc.jpg

2001 610 Volvo -Volvo power 465HP/1650 -autoshift
2009 Smart Passion / cross loaded on Volvo
2014.5 Mobile Suite 41 RSSB4

VOLUNTEER CHRISTIAN BUILDERS

Yes, the A/C lines in our truck were replaced due to corrosion. Previous owner did that. I understand that they are made of Unobtainium. Mounted with Hardtogittooem clips. Still having issues with evaporators. One already replaced, One coming up.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

If they are the lines I think they look pretty bad. under the sleeper passengers side. When working on the adjacent ac line I notice a couple of metal lines that chunks of rust flakes off and deep rust as well.

If the sleeper heaters not being used, I'd cut them and loop them together in the forward area.

What you may recall is the conversation about AC lines back to the sleeper. I got rid of mine as it was a source of leaks. The shop just ordered out the parts for a day cab and replaced the lines. You could probably do the same with the heater hoses.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Archived