Rte. 89 in AZ

rogo

You didn't say what you would be driving but that section is not recommended for RVs. According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' it states "it has many curves that are too tight for large trucks. The grade is up and down for the entire 15 miles. Some of the grade is in the 6% range. There are curves for the entire route between Wilhoit and Prescott - 20-25mph".

If you're coming from Congress or Prescott you can take the Skull Valley highway which goes from Kirkland to Prescott, avoiding this bad stretch. We've done this route many times with our 40' motorhome with no issues. It's a beautiful drive. Just before Congress you will encounter a steep section - Yarnell Hill but it's doable with a big rig depending on the confidence you have with your vehicle. It would be an uphill from Congress or a downhill from Prescott. The descent if for 5 miles of 5-6% grade with some curves but nothing like from Wilhoit to Prescott.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Skull Valley is the only way to go regardless of what you drive,beautiful scenery and the road is fantastic, Just watch the speed limit cuz its 55 for some reason. I might be wrong but I think the Yarnell climb is 7 miles and 7%, Just find the right gear and dont try to shift up or down on thehill...Driven it many times coming down was 3rd gear and letting off on the throttle so exhaust brake would slow me down for curve. plenty of passing lanes fi you have to pull it slow.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

We did years ago in our toad. Down hill. Unless they have moved the hill I wouldn't even consider it in an RV. Fantastic view for the co pilot but my bet it they will also have their eyes closed. :wacko:

regards

We spent one winter in Yarnell and got used to it, I did pull my 36' 5er up there and back, Looking down isn't bad wait till you look up and wonder whats holding those boulders up there ! :huh:

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Archived