Pain Meds While On The Road

Given the changes to Federal Laws concerning pain meds like Hydrocodone and the fact that you cannot get a 90 day supply anymore how does any full timer on here deal with this situation? I've been full time in the past and am looking to buy another RV and go out again but will have to figure out how to get the meds I need in this new environment.

Anyone else currently having to deal with this?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are pleased that you have joined us here and we will do all that we are able to help.

This is an issue which comes up from time to time. It was discussed at some length about a year back in this thread, but I'm not sure just how much help the discussion will be. The federal government is tightening the regulation of many of the stronger pain medications and there is really very little that your doctor can do to help that unless there is an alternative drug that could be prescribed. I would start by discussing with the doctor what it is that you wish to do. It has been reported here that most such prescriptions will not be filled by a pharmacy that is in a different state from that of the doctor, but you might check that out as I have no personal experience with the problem that you have.

With luck, those who do deal with the issue of federally regulated drugs will join in with some ideas which are of more help than I am able to give.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are pleased that you have joined us here and we will do all that we are able to help.

This is an issue which comes up from time to time. It was discussed at some length about a year back in this thread, but I'm not sure just how much help the discussion will be. The federal government is tightening the regulation of many of the stronger pain medications and there is really very little that your doctor can do to help that unless there is an alternative drug that could be prescribed. I would start by discussing with the doctor what it is that you wish to do. It has been reported here that most such prescriptions will not be filled by a pharmacy that is in a different state from that of the doctor, but you might check that out as I have no personal experience with the problem that you have.

With luck, those who do deal with the issue of federally regulated drugs will join in with some ideas which are of more help than I am able to give.

We have not had an issue with getting prescriptions filled out of state. Part of the reason we use Wal-Mart is that they are everywhere, so maybe because we consistently go to the same pharmacy and are "in the system" helps.

You do need to have a doctor who is comfortable giving you a stack of 30 day prescriptions

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

We run into this all the time. Our family doctor understands our travel needs and writes 1 refill prescription for Class 2s. You can only transfer a Class 2 once. Also, always ask if the pharmacy has the drug in stock before the transfer. It can't be undone. It's a breeze to transfer and Walmart has always treated us very well. After we run through the second refill, we call our doctor and he faxes our prescription to our closest Walmart. We've found an understanding doctor to be the key.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

We run into this all the time. Our family doctor understands our travel needs and writes 1 refill prescription for Class 2s. You can only transfer a Class 2 once. Also, always ask if the pharmacy has the drug in stock before the transfer. It can't be undone. It's a breeze to transfer and Walmart has always treated us very well. After we run through the second refill, we call our doctor and he faxes our prescription to our closest Walmart. We've found an understanding doctor to be the key.

The doctor is not the problem. I have a VERY understanding doctor but she won't break the law just so I could get a prescription filled. It's easy to get the NON controlled scripts filled just about anywhere ---- That's not a problem. But the Feds and some States have set up extremely demanding controls on the heavy duty pain meds.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

The doctor is not the problem. I have a VERY understanding doctor but she won't break the law just so I could get a prescription filled. It's easy to get the NON controlled scripts filled just about anywhere ---- That's not a problem. But the Feds and some States have set up extremely demanding controls on the heavy duty pain meds.

The problem is the "new" Federal law that moved all narcotic pain meds to C2 status which has certain rules nation wide. The way it stands now is you must have a hard copy prescription, no more faxing. You can only get one (1) thirty day supply with NO refills. Your doctor is allowed to post date two (2) more hard copies with fill dates 30 days after each fill for a total of ninety (90) days. You may no longer transfer, it has to be by hard copy. If you get a "partial fill" like when the Pharmacy doesn't have enough on hand they/you have 72 hours to finish filling it or you lose the remainder.

That is unfortunately Federal law according to several Pharmacists I've spoken with.

Many/most states (actually I think it's all now) have enacted a Narcotic tracking law that requires every Doctor and Pharmacist to enter your information into a database of people who've received Narcotic prescriptions to see if you are doctor/pharmacy shopping or filling too much PRIOR to writing or filling a script.

These new laws have gone into effect after I left the road back in 2012. Prior to these laws, well, I could pretty much get what I needed when I needed it.

I'm wondering how/if anyone is handling this now prior to jumping back in full time again as this could very well put the kabosh on the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

We are Kaiser members in California. Their mail-order pharmacy had worked well for years. As long as we could give an address, got our meds anywhere. Today, I was denied having prescriptions mailed to our address in Nevada. They said they would no longer mail to out of state addresses. If the state has a Kaiser presence, prescriptions can be transferred there and mailed anywhere in that state. We mainly travel to states without Kaiser. For now, we will have the meds mailed to our son's address and he will forward them to us. From what others are saying. This is an issue for other health plans too.

Archived