DVR for Dish

Good Afternoon,

We will be fulltime rv'ers in 7 weeks. We have Dish and want to record programs. Does anyone record programs and if so what equipment do you use please.

Lindsey & Terry Reinig

Terry and Lindsey

and our Border Collie Daisy Mae

2008 Select Suites 36 TK3

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab DRW

Fulltimers since May 20, 2015

Cool

We also have a Dish VIP211k

What do you use for the hard drive? You can record one program at a time I understand. Can you watch regular Dish programing and record at the same time?

I am finding that this could be a handicap only being able to do one thing at a time... Guess something to get used to... :)

Terry and Lindsey

I just happened to do a search on the Camping World site. They have a new item called "My Book AV DVR Expander for the 211K. Just bought it, It will record up to 150 hrs of programming. Stop, rewind, fast forward live tv enabled. All for $129.00 on sale.

Worth checking out!

Terry and Lindsey

The VIP211 receivers with an activated external hard drive can record and/or watch one satellite channel at a time, since there's only one satellite tuner. If you have OTA reception with your OTA antenna connected to your 211, you can also record an OTA channel while recording or watching a satellite channel, or vice versa. It's also possible to record one satellite channel and one OTA channel at the same time, while watching a previously recorded program.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We also have a Dish VIP211k

What do you use for the hard drive? You can record one program at a time I understand. Can you watch regular Dish programing and record at the same time?

I am finding that this could be a handicap only being able to do one thing at a time... Guess something to get used to... :)

There are other options -- VIP722 or a Hopper. However, to make them fully functional, you'll need a Winegard Travler and/or an open-faced portable dish (1000.2 or 1000.4).

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Thank you for all this great information. I have the Wingaurd Traveler, and will look into othere options. Streaming ia an option but it could be costly because of the bandwith you use...

Terry and Lindsey

If you already have the Trav'ler Dish version, then a Hopper is the way to go. You'll be able to record up to three channels at once, plus an OTA channel with an optional USB OTA module. Add a Super Joey for a second TV, and get two more channels you can record. Using the PTAT (Prime Time Any Time) feature, you could record up to eight channels at once, plus an OTA channel.

Dutch

It depends on the dish that you have. I have a 211K with a PathfinderX2 portable dish. I can only watch the program I am recording or playback a program already recorded while recording another program. I usually use the search function and find the program I want to record airing in the middle of the night and program the DVR to record while I am sleeping.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Will the hopper work with a winegard carry out dome ? Is anyone here doing it ?

Probably but not worth the effort. The appeal of a ground dome is greatly lost when the lack of functionality of a single LNBF is realized.

For about the same money as a Tailgatter, and less than a Winegard dome, you can get a DPP 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish, a TV4RV.com HD tripod system, a good meter like an Accutrac or a First Strike. You will be able to setup in a few minutes and have the full capacity to record and view the number of tuners a Hopper can have (3, 5 with a Super Joey).

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

So how can I get hold of a Hopper. Dish said they won't sell me one or support it because the bouncing can damage the hard drive... Plus we will not have a earthbound home in the near future....

Terry and Lindsey

So how can I get hold of a Hopper. Dish said they won't sell me one or support it because the bouncing can damage the hard drive... Plus we will not have a earthbound home in the near future....

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . DISH tells everyone that & there are a bunch of us RVers with Hoppers that are actually still working (just unplug them before driving).

Contact a local sat installer, not DISH directly. You may have to contact a couple of installers because generally they don't like working with RVs.

BTW, the more you can pre-wire your RV for an installer, the better -- check out the Hopper wiring diagrams in this link.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

there is and installer in Stockton CA that will sell the hopper for $400.

With Dish there is no advantage to buying high tech turn equipment like DVRs. The fees for each device are the same, owned or "leased".

If any, the advantage is that owned equipment doesn't require a two year contract. Do the math. A contract buyout won't be much more than buying the equipment. A big deal when new equipment comes out.

Oh yes, 9 years on the road with DVRs without a disk failure.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

True about the hoppers on Ebay. On Ebay you have to be sure that Dish will support it. If it was stolen and you hook it up you will get their bill from Dish. Buyer be ware...

Terry and Lindsey

True about the hoppers on Ebay. On Ebay you have to be sure that Dish will support it. If it was stolen and you hook it up you will get their bill from Dish. Buyer be ware...

Exactly why I recommended buying from reputable vendors in another post, and buying new in the box receivers. I would only buy used if the seller provided the ID numbers and Dish cleared them as eligible for activation..

Dutch

We take the VIP612 DVR from home, along with the separate hard drive, when we are on the road. Works fine.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

• 2 months later...

This is driving me crazy. So MANY conflicting answers/opinions - even from Dish.

I have a Winegard Trav'ler antenna. I have two Dish 722s at home. I take one of those with me when I use my RV. The 722 was used as the install receiver when I put the antenna on. The combo works great.

I need to know:

1) Can I use the 722 instead of buying a 211 (as Dish tells me)?

2) Do I need the $7 per month account? I don't mind getting it if that is what I need for Dish to give me local channels as I move around and not hassle me. Will they tell me I have to buy the 211?

3) How do I get local channels when I leave my area.

Archived