RVing vs. tent camping

RomaniGypsy

I have a lot of friends in their 70s who regularly get out there on long trips, camping in tents.

I'm not the expert that you are but as a former Scoutmaster and having taken a good number of backpacking trips and one very long horseback trip using tents, I do have some knowledge of it. Yes there are a few in their 70's who still enjoy staying in tents and roughing it, but the percentage is pretty small. I can also tell you that there are many things that I did and enjoyed when I was in my 50's that I don't care to do now that I'm in my 70's. In about 20 years you will start to discover that having a friend who does something isn't quite the same as doing so yourself. If you do enjoy tenting when you pass 70 that will be great, but this is still a group of forums that were intended for RVing folks and they are sponsored by an RV club, so don't be surprised if you don't find a lot of folks who go out tenting here. There is nothing wrong with tent camping but there are much better places to find discussions of it. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not the expert that you are but as a former Scoutmaster and having taken a good number of backpacking trips and one very long horseback trip using tents, I do have some knowledge of it. Yes there are a few in their 70's who still enjoy staying in tents and roughing it, but the percentage is pretty small. I can also tell you that there are many things that I did and enjoyed when I was in my 50's that I don't care to do now that I'm in my 70's. In about 20 years you will start to discover that having a friend who does something isn't quite the same as doing so yourself. If you do enjoy tenting when you pass 70 that will be great, but this is still a group of forums that were intended for RVing folks and they are sponsored by an RV club, so don't be surprised if you don't find a lot of folks who go out tenting here. There is nothing wrong with tent camping but there are much better places to find discussions of it. :)

Perhaps you didn't mean to tell me that within the next 20 years I'll wise up to the notion that because someone else my age does something, it isn't the same as me doing it myself. As far as I can tell, I've done a fair job of keeping a grasp on reality thus far.

Within this thread, the topic of tents and their use seems to be fair. Tenting was taking a bad rap, as expected but I thought I'd bring in a bit of balance.

Happens I spent a great many days "working" out of a tent within various deserts, with a fair amount of challenges, such as 100 degrees by 7am each day, so to that point, there are people who can make it work if economic concerns drive the need. Then again, traveling bands might be better off fixing that leaking roof on their RV so they can mobilize in more of an efficient manner. YMMV :)

Perhaps you didn't mean to tell me that within the next 20 years I'll wise up to the notion that because someone else my age does something, it isn't the same as me doing it myself.

Not that at all. I'm just saying that at 50 I didn't anticipate being through with my tent as quickly as it happened. You may be one of those who stay with it and I hope that proves to be true for you, but my point is that we just can't know for sure. I might be willing to stay in a tent occasionally but it just isn't good for my wife who has too much arthritis to do so in any degree of comfort. And I must admit that I too have slipped in my conditioning more than I like to admit. I'm not saying at all that you won't, only that most of us don't, either for physical reasons or for just not wanting to do that any longer. I really should have said "may start" where I said will, but that was a slip of the typing! I do admire those who keep at that lifestyle into the 70's including you. Shoot, you are ahead of the averages now as there aren't that many who are up for it in their 50's. That is about when I stopped doing so.

I would not ever consider giving up the memories of great adventures in our tenting days and it would be nice if I were still in the condition to enjoy some of the things we did then that are not possible from an RV. Another thing about RVs is that as they get larger and more luxurious they also get more limited in where you can or are willing to take them.

You are correct that tenting does get little support in the RV community for whatever reasons that may be. I suspect that the majority of people here have at one time used one, but may not have been as into it as you or even as I once was. There are occasional times that I miss those days, but once my partner was unable or unwilling to travel by tent, for me that was the end also of anything more than an occasional brief foray with one of the sons or grandsons and today I'd not fare well if I had to carry all my gear on my back very far. To be totally honest, I'm not sure if I'd still do any of it even if I did believe that I was fit enough, but can't say for sure.

I suppose that is one of the reasons that I now travel by RV and I'd be the first to agree that neither Pam nor I were up for living fulltime in a tent even when we went on the road RVing in our 50's. I don't think that I know anyone who would consider it fun to live in a tent for months or years at a time, other than perhaps yourself.

21 years ago I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. No symptoms, found early which is why I'm one of the lucky ones who survived. I was 48 at the time and life looked rosy, things were going well, we could do everything we wanted to do. Screaming wake up call lying on the bathroom floor during chemo is that things can happen and you can't say you will be able to x,y or z in 20 years. In fact, that is one of the reasons we decided to retire early because we wanted to be able to enjoy our retirement before the inevitable decline that occurs with age - and it doesn't matter how well you think you will age, you can't know what will happen. A car wreck could leave you disabled. And spending years working in the desert is one way to get skin cancer and depending upon the type it might not be a good outcome.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I am 67 and still enjoy tent camping. Go with what works for you. Unless you have spent your entire life stuck in a recliner, it does you good to test your body. Each mode has it's place. You have a mission and something will work for your mission. Good luck with your "good work", too.

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

You are doing what you got to do and is what best suites your needs right now. It isn't easy but you seem to be doing fine. We did a lot of tenting from two person mountain tents to a wall tent that we wore out. Looking back they were some of the best times we had. I agree in general with Kirk .At 50 tenting was fine at 70 not so much in fact not at all.AT 50 we had no idea what we could do at 70.There is a big difference you know between 20 and 30 or 40 and 50. The mind may be willing but the body is wearing out...believe me it will happen.

I agree it does good to test your body I do it all the time . At 77 I flunk a lot of test.....

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We chose a compromise between the 2 extremes (tent vs big RV), at least until we go FT in a few years. We chose an Aliner LXE hard-sided pop-up for the following reasons:

1. It tows easily behind our 4 cyl car getting 23-25 mpg while towing.

2. It pops up in 30 seconds (no kidding) for road side lunch and potty breaks.

3. It goes places a bigger rig can't (though not as far as a tent can.) Though a back packer would have a hard time carrying the 16 gallons of water on board, let alone anything else, such as a refrigerator/ freezer full of fresh meat, seafood and other yummy goodies.

4. What tent has all the amenities of a RV like my Aliner does, such as:

a. a king sized, memory foam topped bed - folds into a couch and dinette if needed in inclement weather..

b. a complete kitchen with 3 burner stove, microwave, 3 way freezer/fridge, sink w/ hot water, etc.

c. It has a shower w/a cassette toilet (not just a luggable loo) that holds about a weeks worth of waste (for 2) and can be removed and dumped in any toilet.

d. It has hard, insulated sides instead of tentage that keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer (with good noise insulation too) with an air conditioner that runs off of a small 1,200 watt generator when boondocking.

e. It has an inverter that powers my TV/DVD player and other small 110v electrical devices as needed and of course 12v for lights, fans, etc.

Of course with this much cramed into a 15 foot box, there's not much room to walk around. But we spend the days outside, coming inide to eat, sleep, shower and sh.. well you know - shirk the bad weather. ;) They're not cheap, but have a good resale value when it comes time to trade up to your FT rig.

Just a thought for a useful compromise that offers a lot of performance and amenities in a small, easy to tow package.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

I have camped out in a tent, I have also slept in a submarine. Both can go places that my motorhome cannot go.

I agree it does good to test your body I do it all the time . At 77 I flunk a lot of test.....

Two good thoughts! I share a lot with you both. And Rich, I'm only 5 years behind you and heading your way! Of course, we couples also have to deal with any limitations that our partner may have as well since our lives have become much too intertwined to go things alone.

For us, variety has been and continues to be the spice of life. I see the changes we have experienced over the years not so much as doors closing behind us but as moving on to new and different things in the future! I didn't find Navy Boot Camp to be all that difficult back when I entered at 17, and I know I couldn't do it today, but why would I want to? I've already had that experience and now move on to new things. We have immersed ourselves in each new experience in our lives but then move on to something new with fond memories, but spending very little time in looking back! :)

To each his own. Most of us have been there and done that! However, old age takes care of that extra energy we had when we were younger, Now we just drive the RV with all the comforts we need. Enjoy life however you can. There is no right or wrong answer.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

A few years ago we met a Veteran who was full timing in a tent. He had things pretty well organized. He carried a recliner and TV and charged his deep cycle battery while drinking coffee in his car every morning. He even had a hammock. He was talking about maybe upgrading to an RV some day. He thought it might serve him better. I have used tents and even slept in my car and pickup. The RV serves our needs best now but in my younger days I didn't want a big RV. Now I don't want tent but I still understand those that do.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

For the last 3 years we have met my brother for a week of "camping". The first year he said we weren't camping - he was right! We were living in our RV and he was camping in his tent. Now he says the best way to tent camp is near his sister's 5th wheel. It has morning coffee, breakfast and nice place to hang out in when it rains.

Shirley & Neil
F350 and 2015 Open Range Light 318RLS
Winston, 2008 Cardigan Welsh Corgi and Nellie, 2010 Scottish Terrier

• 4 weeks later...

You should take a look at a class B ROADTREK. They are full sized vans, decked out as motor homes. New ones are VERY expensive. But if you shop around a used one can be found for a reasonable price. That would work perfect for what you are doing. We owned one for years. I used it for business and my DH and I used it for camping. We now own a 25' Tioga Ranger for Full Timing.

Sandee Melton

2008 Tioga Ranger 26'

Ok... I'm 71 and we have a 36' DP, a 21' TT... and two tents!

Two years ago we spent almost a week at Glacier Park (West Glacier) in one of our tents... car camping inside the park. Our kids (and grandkids and the SIL's dad) were at a $50 a day KOA park. I think our site (with a geezer pass) was $5 a night.

They had a patio, gazebo, table and chairs with umbrella, a swimming pool, a store, a cafe, and satellite TV.

We had two cots (shared with two dogs), two very good sleeping bags (which we really didn't need... who could expect warm nights a 4,000-ft elevation in MT?)

They had a refrigerator, stove, oven, electric lights.

We had a camp kitchen under a 10x10 straight-leg pop-up that we've had for 5 years. On the picnic table furnished by the US Park Service we had a stove, an icebox and a place to eat... shaded by spindly evergreens and our pop-up gazebo thingie.

They went up Going-To-The-Sun highway once in a red bus (no one wanted to drive the Ford F350 4-door diesel up that road). We drove there and back in our Kia Sorento 4-times accompanied by the dogs and every single bit of food in our possession (not allowed to leave it at camp unless inside a hard-sided camper). The rangers inspect for food and the only reason I did not get fined for having a Diet Coke in the ice chest was that I pointed out that there are zero calories and their rule mentioned 1-calorie.

They spent a few thou. We spent $250 including gasoline. They did not see a bear. Neither did we but a Ranger came by to tell us to stay put for a half hour or so because one was nearby.

Next time we want to go to East. Glacier and take the motor home. It should be just as much fun.

Oh... and last year for Father's Day I took the mountain tent and about six sleeping pads and my down bag up to spend the weekend Jeeping with some guys who do that far better than I do. Drove into town for a burger.

I love to RV and I love to tent camp... and I think the 21' TT will be perfect for ad hoc fishing trips.

It's all good...

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

In our humble opinions - tent camping is for 3 to 18 year olds (you know folks who don't know any better) or young college students; RVing is for everyone else!

Allen & Diana Storm the authors of The Adventure of Campground Hosting & As The Wheels Turn

In our humble opinions - tent camping is for 3 to 18 year olds (you know folks who don't know any better) or young college students; RVing is for everyone else!

Hmmm....guess those 3 year olds are going camping all by themselves (or maybe they're going with their 18-year-old brothers and/or sisters?)! ;)

We did a lot of backpacking in our late 20's, early 30's and slept in tents. We were much older than 3-18 and we weren't college students. If fact, we never even got an RV until after we retired.

When we did a gig as camp hosts at a small BLM campground, we had an older couple come in with quite an elaborate tent setup...one of those large "stand up inside" tents...didn't look inside to see if they slept on cots or on the ground. So your comment that no one beyond the age of 22 or so should be tent camping, simply doesn't hold water.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We tent camped for years (well into our 40's) on many trips across the US & Canada, some over 2 months long. As we aged, we moved from sleeping bags on pads to air mattress, and finally, cots. We ended up taking more & more "breaks" in a motel rather than setting up the tent. The parts I hated - packing up a wet tent in the morning, and no bathroom. What I liked - access to places I can't tow my trailer, and overnight hikes.

While I enjoyed the tenting days, I'm glad to have the trailer even though it is actually smaller than my last tent!

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

We've done Backpacking, Car camping, RV'ing, motorcycle trips, canoe camping. I'm keeping my backpacking stuff for our full time adventure. It's one of my few hobbies that the gear does not take up much space in the trailer.

Does the fact that all of this post is lined-out have any significance? :P

WDR

Ham Radio

We've tent camped in a canvas wall tent and a backpacker Frostline kit tent on many 2 week long vacations with two kids and various pets and made memories that will last a lifetime. We moved up to a pop-up and loved being off the ground in a real bed but still being woken by birds in the morning. We moved upto a fifth wheel and can't tell you how many times we have said "I sure am glad we aren't in a tent" when its gotten cold and rainy, often followed up with "I think I'll take a hot shower". We have experienced every style of camping and each one was hugely enjoyable. What we do now insures that we are able to skip the winters in our chosen state but still enjoy its marvelous spring, summer and fall weather while traveling in total comfort. The best of all worlds. What a life!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the goal is to travel/spend the night the most inexpensively way possible while still having a reasonable amount of comfort. That is pretty much our goal too.

We started out tent camping and stopped due to similar reasons mentioned here. From there we went the route of a new motorhome. For us that was a costly mistake. For the amount we stayed in it, and the costs associated........we figured we could have bought a new Caddy and stayed in high class hotels for the trips we did. After that experience, we vowed never to spend very much on a camping rig again. We spend the winter in AZ in a $4500.00 5th wheel that we have had for 8 years. The 5th wheel stays year around at a campground and is never moved. We use it as a "home base" to wander around the south.

We down graded from the motorhome to a tear drop camper. That worked pretty well as you can boondock just like the big rigs at truck stops etc and no set up. The bad side is you couldn't use a port a potty and couldn't stand up to get dressed. We did have a tent that could be set up next to it......but was a pain to set up for just 1 night.

From the tear drop we moved to a used pickup and camper. That worked well BUT we were only getting 13 to 15 MPG. That cost too much for our budget.

The wife and I both love motorcycle travel. Last winter we took a 6,000 mile trip. However, the hotel bills killed us. We just bought a used tent camper (new ones are pretty expensive) to pull behind the motorcycle. Guess we will see how that works this winter. It can be set up in 5 minutes, has a dressing room and we can cook our own meals. We can have a port a potty for those night calls. http://www.timeouttrailers.org

I am not suggesting you travel by motorcycle.....BUT.....as a couple of others have mentioned these small fold up campers are inexpensive to buy/pull and can be set up in 5 minutes. You can still get good gas mileage pulling it with your car. Our camper weighs less than 300 lbs

As far as a porta potty for those night calls.......there are plastic bags with absorbant materials in them you can use, then place them in the garbage. No different than putting disposable diaper in there.

There is no rule that says you have to do it just one way, you know. People will give you all sorts of reasons why you shouldn't but those are *their* reasons. You get to have your own reasons.

Nothing will get you closer to the water or higher in the mountains or deeper into a national wilderness area than a tent. But you won't get your queen bed, hot showers, microwave and satellite TV. But no one says you can't combine them if you want. Park your RV nearby and pack a tent into your Jeep or sedan and go farther. If you still want to go when the Jeep can't then take a mountain bike with the tent and sleeping bag and some food on the back and keep going... and when the mtb won't go any farther you can actually walk!

Or, if you don't want to, then that's ok too. Lots of seniors are perfectly happy living in retirement homes in Brooklyn. I'd throw myself from a window before I'e do that... but it's ok if they want to. I don't mind...

WDR

Ham Radio

Archived