Dually inner tires

aziamaiza

Firstly, apologies if this subject has been broached before. Probably it has however I am currently only able to post from my cell and that makes

it a little more difficult to both leaf through the back posts and also

to write with some semblance of clarity using voice recognition.

OK...here goes!

I bought a Cedar Creek 2008 with a dually to haul, both from the

same owner. For the life of me, I find it virtually impossible to access the valve tire valve on one of the inner wheels as the hub cap holes

(for want of an accurate description) on the outer tire are not aligned on the

outer one.

My plan is to screw on a 45 degree extension to both valves

for easy access. I have heard too many bad things about the

braided flexible extensions and I don't necessarily want to fork out

a bunch of moolah for an extension system.

Is there a way for any tire shop to align the holes to match

or am I missing something here?

My new neighbor at our current RV park thinks I'm being

unduly fussy. He uses a baseball bat to ping the tires.

What truck do you have? Ford. GM, Ram? The access holes differ from manufacturers and model year. The 2007 and 2014 F350s we had and have now have access holes just large enough to put your hand (or my wife's smaller hand) inside to install or remove a TPMS sensor on the inside tire. The F350s both came with the two valve stems pointing directly together, I had the outside tire rotated 180 degrees so make it easier to access the inside valve stem. A tire pressure gauge and air chuck with a 45 degree head helps a lot too.

I tried extenders on the inside tire but centrifugal force caused the valve stem to leak. Be sure your valve stems are metal and NOT rubber. I believe the best solution is Cat's Eye: http://www.linkmfg.com/products/cats-eye/

or Crossfire system: http://dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/

Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Yes to what the other GREG says.

Take the outside tire off and rotated it so that the valve stems are 180 degrees apart from each other. The rim holes should be large enough to get a tire gage to the valve stem. If the valve cap is hard to get to on the inner tire, just leave it off. It will help to buy a tire gage used by truckers to reach the inside tire valve stem, they are sold at any auto parts store and are about 12" long.

Greg

On our Ram the wheels are 5 hole, so it isn't possible to get 180 degrees. When new, they come with the stems at the same hole. It can be a royal pain to get on either the inner or outer stems with either a gauge or inflator. I've tried several different versions and still a PITA. So in 2005 I installed the stainless flexible extenders from the inner wheel and a "curved" one from the outer. I have never had ANY problems with the set-up in 140,000 miles and that included the trip to Alaska. But the important things is to have steel valve stems on all the wheels, not neoprene. We ran them on our telephone trucks and my neighbor has the cross over system (stainless braided flexible)on the Arizona Power bucket truck he drives.

On my more Chevy (2008) I simply remove the hub caps and can reach the valve stems easily. A rubber mallet is used to insure that the hub caps are securely fitted to the wheel when I am finished. No problem.

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

​LDO

First off, ignore the neighbor with the baseball bat checking tire pressure, it is proven not to work.

For this first time, at least with my Chevy dually, I can get my hand between the duals while holding a pressure gauge to check pressure.

Later, remove and rotate the outer wheel to align the inner valve stem with a hole in the outer wheel when it is more convenient and practical.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks for everyone's comments...

In conclusion; I took the truck to a local tire shop today where they realigned the offending tire and screwed on my angled valve extensions.

So far so good but the problem now is that its still just too difficult, and time consuming,to screw them on and off in order to periodically check, and adjust, tire pressure.

Vallve extenders are not the answer - and neither are baseball bats. Leaving the extenders on will only invite trouble, in my opinion.

So, I guess I've arrived at a reasonable compromise whereby both inner valves are now accessible to inflation without having to remove the outer tire.

Duallies are great for towing but a maintenance pain. Greg

I second that one Greg.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived