Rio Grande Valley

Chalkie

We are drawing to close to the end of a 3 month visit to the Rio Grande Valley. We have been staying in a park in Weslaco and while there have been many things we have liked about the park, there have also been some we haven't liked so much. We have certainly enjoyed the weather for the most part, although there are days that wind grates on your nerves. I am purposely not naming the park we are in so as not to taint whatever responses I might get, but what are your recommendations for "snowbirding" parks in South Texas and why. Thanks!!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Any location along the Texas coast will have wind. Just part of living along the coast. You can try moving inland (100 miles) to get a bit less wind.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Depends on what you are motivated by. Unless you state what you are looking for it would be hard to advise you. For example, Retama Village is probably one of the nicest parks in the Valley. But it is not cheap....however you do get what you pay for.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Depends on what you are motivated by. Unless you state what you are looking for it would be hard to advise you.

Good point!

What we would like: Activities (like dancing and lessons, shuffleboard, socials), swimming pool (heated or indoor), hot tub, either with a golf course or close to one (9-hole course is fine), and finally a hobby shop (woodworking would be nice).

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Good point!

What we would like: Activities (like dancing and lessons, shuffleboard, socials), swimming pool (heated or indoor), hot tub, either with a golf course or close to one (9-hole course is fine), and finally a hobby shop (woodworking would be nice).

Either Retama Village (linked above) or Bentsen Palm Village (next door) would meet most of those needs - no shuffleboard, but horseshoes at Bentsen). No real dance clubs at either. Retama is a little cheaper - depending on the type lot you are looking for. NEITHER are cheap...they are luxury sites.

If you like to shoot there is a very good Range available to both parks (run by a private Club at Retama), instruction, and weekly shooting activities during the season. This is unusual for an RV facility which is why I noted it. The range has steel course(s), fixed pistol targets, rifle at 50/100/300 yards, and trap.

Excellent woodworking shop available to both parks. If you have specific questions feel free to email me.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

Weslaco, Texas, is a good distance from the Texas coast, more then 60 miles. It is

very near the Rio Grande River. The wind blows there most of the time and I have read many people

complain about the wind. I spend lots of time there and don't find it bothersome.

• 5 weeks later...

We stayed for one month at Victoria Palms using their Quartzsite special of $199. We were told that we needed to pay and pick our one month while at the RV show. When we got to the valley and signed in, we found this same special in the Winter Texan, anyway we had a good stay. We were told that they had 132 units come in using this special. We have stayed at other parks in the valley, put Victoria Palms is probable the most expensive.

Archived