Joined the MDT club today!

Bobi and Dick McKee

We took deliver of a 2015 Freightliner Sportchassis, and boy are we excited. It was sold as used with 2200 miles on it. Poor fellow who ordered fell ill 3 weeks after delivery and is apparently now on his death bed and the family wanted to unload the rig. After driving it for a day I can see why folks say they are safer to tow with.

Here is a link to the rig.

http://powersrv.com/Showroom/Show/View/RV/70354/Freightliner.aspx

• 1 month later...

Small world, well sort of. Interestingly enough I saw this truck for sale when searching for information about anything I could find on MD trucks specifically freightliners. I spoke to the sales manager very nice man and very knowledgeable. I really want the ISL9 motor and what caught my attention about this (your) truck is that the power had been turned up to 380 HP and I think 1250 torque.

There is not a lot of information about these trucks available as far as owners discussion. I am curious what you think of the power and have you had it long enough to see generally what type of fuel mileage it gets when towing? I know, I know if you're worried about fuel mileage then maybe you shouldn't by the truck. Reality is I put on about 20-25,00 miles per year hauling horses and there's a big difference between $2.50 gallon and $4 + Diesel. I have driven diesel pick ups for the last 27 years and I want a truck that is comfortable, stops a big trailer and is safe enough (size) that if anybody crashes into me............well as the saying goes he with the most lug nuts wins! If I remember correctly powers RV told me that Cummins turned the power up but it's not cheap.

I have ordered a new M2 from Wayland Long at 2L. He is probably the most knowledgeable and down to earth guy one could talk to. He knows these trucks! Quite frankly if you want a new truck with warranty you are not going to beat what he has to offer. If I were wanting to spend more money on a Sportschassis I would definitely go to Powers RV.

Sorry for the long post. Merry Xmas.

Mcb, Haven't towed with the rig yet. With Christmas and all we haven't gone anywhere. I have put about 1000 miles on the truck on I40 up through Kingman to test the exhaust brake and to get familiar with the controls. So far we love the truck. I believe the extra power from the factory about a $2000 option. We will be heading to Kansas RV Center from Arizona in mid February to turn in our Hitch Hiker and pick up our new Mobile Suite. I am going to track the mileage and will post it when we return to Arizona. And Merry Christmas to you too. Dick

Mcb, did you order a 106 or 112 from Wayland? Big difference in engines. We have had one of each and if you are going to be pulling a heavy rig, ie over 20K, you will appreciate the extra power of the big engine in the 112. Our 2L M 2-112 and Continental Coach weigh in at 44K. We average 7.5 mpg running 62-65 mph. When we had a Teton we pulled it with an M2 106 with the small Mercedes engine. The rig weighed about37K total and got the same mpg as the current rig. The big difference was the power in the hills, the little Mercedes couldn't maintain speed on the steeper grades. We sold that truck to a friend who pulled a Montana at about 16K(about 5K lighter than our Teton) and he was happy with the truck and his mpg was slightly better. I have found that fuel economy is easily influenced by small changes in speed, terrain, headwinds, and loading of the rig. Our current truck has gotten as good as 8+ and as poor as 6.5 just depending on variables. By the way, I also highly recommend Wayland's two new books. If you enjoy Texas style story telling his first two books are a very good read, Merry Christmas and Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

I ordered the 106. I have wanted an MDT for 15 years and now I am prepared to buy one. I drove a friends 07 Sportchassis with the 330 Mercedes. I drove it for about 30 miles with no trailer and got to climb a pretty good grade with it. Admittedly I was not real impressed with the power, I do own a 2013 Ram Dually with the HO Aisin tranny and it runs real well. But what I would say about that Mercedes is it felt like it would be adequate and easily get the job done but it was no drag racer! I have also driven a 2013 Sportschassis with the 8.3 in it and I liked it definitely ran stronger than the Mercedes. I will be pulling (most of the time) a 4 horse trailer that weighs about 9-12,000 and then on longer trips a heavy 6 horse trailer that is probably going to be 17 to 19,000.

Admittedly I have not driven the 112 and I know that power wise they are a "monster". I just did not want to spend the extra money as most of the time I don't think I will need that much engine, Perhaps its easier to say for the money that I was going to have to spend I just didn't think it would pencil out? Anyway I think the ISL9 will more than suffice for what I am looking for, especially if I can get a cummins shop to turn the power up, I am willing to pay the money to have it done. I think there is a big difference between say 350/1000 and 380/1200 or 1250 torque as what Dick has in his truck.

I would also like to think that this truck pulling my 4 horse should be able to equal what my PU achieves as far as fuel mileage. Half the time I only have two horses in it and my PU gets between 9 and 10.5. Now hooked to the 6 horse that's probably another story. I have followed information on the MDT/HDT discussion and I see the advantage to both but I don't have room for the HDT at my house. I considered a pre-emission truck and there are lots of nice used trucks out there but considering I'd have to spend between 70 and 90K for what I was looking for and no warranty I made the decision to go new. There are also those who want to stay away from the emissions, from 2008 to 2010 pre DEF fluid I probably agree. But my 2013 Ram with DEF has more usable power and gets better mileage then the 92,93,95,96,99, 03, 08 and 2012 Rams that I have owned and some of those trucks were modified with injectors and chips etc. Also I think the days are coming when those who are deleting are going to be facing hefty fines, I hope not.

I really enjoy talking to Wayland at 2L and I am going to get copies of his books. I like Texas and I enjoy competing there (horses). Actually this site is the first time I have ever posted anywhere, but I liked what Dick posted and want to track what he thinks about his truck.........(-;

I hope you guys have a great Xmas and a successful/safe new year!

Mcb,

I have one of Wayland's 2012 M2-112 trucks and with 450 HP and 1,650 ft-lbs of torque, you do NOT slow down going anywhere. Mine is a little different than some as I have a 13.2K front axle and a 23K rear axle that were downgraded to keep the truck under 33,000 pounds to avoid the 12% excise tax. With air ride suspension, air ride cab and air ride seats, it rides a LOT nicer than the dually it replaced and with a true Jake brake on that big old 13 liter Detroit, I can come down miles of 7% and 8% grades with a 21K trailer and actually have to give it throttle to keep it at speed in areas. On flat ground, the air brakes on the truck will stop the truck/trailer combination even if the trailer brakes fail

As much as I love this truck, the wife and I are going to sell ours this spring and order a new Kenworth T680 to have a condo as our plans have changed somewhat since buying the M2-112. It looks like the kids don't want to go anywhere with us (both grown and one married) so we will sell the 4 door and buy a condo to have a bunk for one of us to sleep in while the other drives and will order a stretched frame from the factory to have the ability to get a bed built to house a Smart car. I don't think I can get it into the garage like the M2-112 so I guess it will live outside. Mileage is on par with my F350 or maybe a little less but you can't put a price on the safety, visibility and just plain old fun driving a rig like this.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

As you probably know Wayland was a National Champion in the cutting horse event and is in the Hall of Fame. This is documented in the back of his books. As someone in the horse competition business you will really enjoy the first book. It is supposedly fictional but I think there is a little bit of Wayland in there in some places. Also Wayland told me there are six intentional technical mistakes in each book. I caught one and asked him about it and he told me that little factoid. I couldn't find any others! I think you will be happy with the 106, ours rode great, stopped great, and got reasonable fuel mileage. With the trailers you plan on hauling I would guess there will be very few times you will wish for more power. The 106 was way better than the one ton dually we had, especially in the stopping department. Next time you see Wayland give him our regards, Best Wishes, Jay and Kathy Moscoe

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Georgia Hybrid thanks for the info. If I would have known your situation with your truck a few months ago I probably would have been interested! I have already put money down for Wayland to build me a truck, otherwise I would be calling you. At this point in my life I have no interest in pursuing a bigger trailer such as a heavy 5ver and after several years of researching off and on I think this 106 is going to be plenty of truck to handle the 8 to 10k that will be behind it most of the time, in fact to be honest it might be a little overkill, but I want one. Agreed on what both of you are saying the comfort and stopping are unreal. I also ordered the truck with airbrakes. When I got out of the two trucks I got to drive it was like getting off my couch. Anymore 7 hours plus in a PU when I get out I feel stiff.

Wayland knows what the horse folks are looking for in a hauler which was another plus for me. I saw that he had a detractor somewhere on this site. But he's been straight up with me and the other 10 or so folks that have his trucks that I have talked to had nothing but praise for him and his business. I think we all have to be realistic and it's impossible to please everybody!

Also I am going to be retired by the time I take delivery so I will not be in a hurry. (-;

I forgot to add that about a year ago I drove an 03 international extended cab that was set up fairly nice. It had the DT466 rated at 275/800 after about a mile I knew I this power level was not going to be enough. There is a gentleman on here that make reference to owning one at one time in the past and I have to agree with his assessment that it was ok but most would probably want more power.

BTW Dick I apologize I shouldn't be high jacking your thread.

Excellent! Looks very much like mine, down to the custom grill and the air hitch. And I see you have airbags on the front... nice. I'll bet that "radio" works better than mine...which is more like a 1980s video game.

After driving it for a day I can see why folks say they are safer to tow with.

..and much less tiring.

As mentioned above, we are so grateful to have been able to have Wayland build our truck. The man is true to his word and knows more than anyone about these trucks can and cannot do. Even after 5 years our Bigboomer is still awesome and we feel it is because of how well Wayland built it!

With the Maxxforce 9 we are running 330 HP and 1000lb. torque and performs like a champ flat or hills.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

I haven't bought anything there for a while but Crutchfield used to have good prices and selection as well as being able to get you a plug-in connection with no wire cutting and soldering for most rigs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Very nice looking truck. You should enjoy it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Dick what is the governed RPM of your engine? Is it 2100 or 2200 RPM? I am asking because in checking with Cummins on a particular 2015 Sportchassis they are only able to re-program the ISL9 with the 345HP/1150 Torque tune and not the 380/1250 because of the particular CPL. They also told me this would drop the governed RPM from 2200 (350/1000 stock configuration) to 2100. I would gladly sacrifice 5hp to gain 150 LB feet of torque, but not sure what the loss of 100 RPM's will do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Congrats ! I know that truck well, we looked at it when ordering ours but was missing an option I needed that would require sending it back to the factory and was not crazy about that part.

For those asking, the governor is set at 2100 rpm. It is an ISL9 turned to 380 and 1250 FT/LB. If people have questions about the truck, engine, parameters, etc., I can help answer them. I have the exact same truck.

Yes we did. We also towed the new trailer from our home on the Colorado in Arizona to Pahrump, Nevada. On the way home from Kansas the truck just purred along at 60 mph. It did a regen once on the way home. Got 8.5 mpg. I was really impressed on the trip to Pahrump. We have the trailer loaded close to the what it will be when we take off for the summer. On the way there is a climb to 5500 feet at about 6% in places over Mountain Springs. Had the cruise set at 60 the truck slowed to 55 downshifted and went over the top. On the way back down the 2 speed exhaust brake kept the rig siting right at 60. Needless to say we are very pleased.

On another note we had it serviced about 2 weeks ago. Total service Oil, filter, 3 fuel filters and lube for about $425. Considering it is only necessary to service it at 20000 miles or one year (we were at the one year mark with 6000 miles). Our 2012 F350 with a 6.7 would have cost $650 with one fuel filter change and an oil change every 5000 miles. I didn't keep real close track of the DEF but it appears to use a little more than the 350. It took about 3.5 gallons to fill the DEF tank after the 3000 mile round trip to Kansas. The 350 used about 2.5 gallons every 3000 miles.

Archived