Satellite TV

I just bought my first RV a 2002 Class C Four Winds. It has a Winegard satellite antena with a crank on the inside of the RV to raise and lower it. I don't know the model number of this. There are wires down into the RV with a coax hookup there. I am thinking and correct me if I'm wrong that you plug the cord from the roof into that? There is only one of these so do I need a splitter first and then I can run run to the antenna and then one out to the TV? Do I need any special equiptment to get Directtv or can I take one of the boxes from my house and use it in the RV?

Thanks for any help you all can give me. I'm a total newb and have to learn a lot. I just couldn't turn down the deal.

Probably a TV antenna but in 2002 there wee crank up manual adjust satellite dishes for the roof.

A photo is advised.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Assuming your satellite antenna looks like the Winegard DM-46 below, yes, you will need a DirecTV receiver to use it. I believe the receiver must be an H-24 or earlier to work with this dish, but I'm not sure of that. The aiming instructions can be found in the user manual located here: http://www.winegard.com/help/images/0/0f/2451069.pdf

post-9701-0-91156000-1449325213_thumb.jpg

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If the crank up is a 18" round dish. Just have it replaced with a Trav'ler SWM dish.

It should be less then $2,000 installed.

Otherwise you will need to know how many cranks up to get the right elevation set up for the location it is in.

Then set the azimuth to what the receivers say you need. If you do get it locked on to the 101 satellite.

You will have no HD programs.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

If the crank up is a 18" round dish. Just have it replaced with a Trav'ler SWM dish.

It should be less then $2,000 installed.

Otherwise you will need to know how many cranks up to get the right elevation set up for the location it is in.

Then set the azimuth to what the receivers say you need. If you do get it locked on to the 101 satellite.

You will have no HD programs.

If his dish includes the digital elevation meter, there's no turn counting needed. We only use our DM-46 for occasional overnight stops when we don't need to set up our tripod mounted triple LNB dish. With the elevation meter and the receiver's signal level meter, it's not really hard to get it dialed in as long as you have a clear view in the right direction. :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the info so far.

a little more info It's a Winegard roadmate sd attached to the roof and the antenna is a RV-6400. Just learing all this fun stuff but like I said the guy had to seel his RV to keep his house and I almost stole it from him. 31' Four Winds Chateau with only 30 thousand miles and got it for 15 grand. So anyhow my options seem to be to get a Dish antenna and reciever if we want HD anyhow. And the Wife want HD....

Archived