East / West feeds

I have the distant channels out of New York with DT. Will I be able to pick up these same channels while on the west coast or will they drop off at some point while traveling west?

Thanks

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

Since the Distant Channels are not spot beamed, you will still receive the East Coast (NYC) channels, however the shows which begin at 8:00 pm east will show up at 5:00 pm on the west coast. Your guide will continue to show the time at your "service Location". This could be a blessing, if you have a DVR, because you can record all of the evening programming that you usually watch and then skip over the commercials! :)

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Thanks, For the ones with both East & West I was told you can no longer get both. Just wanted to make sure. I was going to drop the distant channels if they would serve no purpose when we head west. Actually I found out, changing to the locals where we are in Florida was a simple process. If that works every time it would be cheaper to do that instead of paying for DN.

Thanks again.

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

Thanks, For the ones with both East & West I was told you can no longer get both. Just wanted to make sure. I was going to drop the distant channels if they would serve no purpose when we head west. Actually I found out, changing to the locals where we are in Florida was a simple process. If that works every time it would be cheaper to do that instead of paying for DN.

Thanks again.

Some have good luck changing and some do not. Dish does it without question 99% of the time. DirecTV technically says you're not allowed to change your "service address" randomly. Some reps will change the service address to give you locals where you are, and others have gotten their account "flagged" by trying to do that. Once it is "flagged" any change to your system must be verified by a technician visit (at your expense). Just use caution with that system- if you try it on a regular basis you might get flagged.

• 2 weeks later...

Some have good luck changing and some do not. Dish does it without question 99% of the time. DirecTV technically says you're not allowed to change your "service address" randomly. Some reps will change the service address to give you locals where you are, and others have gotten their account "flagged" by trying to do that. Once it is "flagged" any change to your system must be verified by a technician visit (at your expense). Just use caution with that system- if you try it on a regular basis you might get flagged.

directv is full of bait and switch tactics and nobody knows what in the hell is going on at the company either. funny you should mention that your not allowed to change your address they told me I could change mine as much as I wanted :rolleyes: as well as they tried selling me the equipment from the prices quoted from the website. thank god I spoke to an installer and he laughed and told me that that's the prices of the lease fee incase someones credit don't pass and that id'e still have to return the receivers when i'm done with em. another thing is that you can suspend your service for 6 months twice what happens if I want to suspend it longer if something comes up after that your SOL. makes me wonder why directv requires a contract so that they don't have to provide any kind of quality customer service they have you by the :o and the same can be said about the competitor also though I have had better luck with them atleast there honest and upfront :ph34r: . att keeps trying to sell me directv I keep telling em to stick it. you should have seen the way they wired my sb house it took em 6 months to get it figured out :o it was that bad I wish I was home cause I would have told the installer to get the hell out. the installer ran the cabling through the living room ( ok) that's where the t.v. is then he ran it through the kitchen and back into the livingroom and in back of the t.v.. all he had to do was drill a hole and run the cabling from the wall and behind the couch into the t.v. not wire up the whole house let alone drill holes in the middle of the walls not down below like a normal human being would do. and then he mounted the dish where it wasn't stable and when it rained or got windy I got half of my channels in the bedroom and the other half in the living room :blink::angry: and that alone took em 3 months to figure out what was going on. it was so bad that they gave me the premiere package for 19 bucks a month :D . it was the install from hell. If I remember correctly the installer was at that time ironwood communications. directv just outright sucks. what good is a company with horrible customer service?? anther sad thing is that all of these companies treat NEW customers better than long term customers that have been with a company for ever and paid there bills on time yet they shaft them but if your a new customer you get all of the bells and whistles and freebies and promo's over someone that's been a loyal customer to them!!

Thanks again.

Actually we just use the OTR antenna if we really want the local channels because we enjoy being able to watch east coast news, etc. late in the afternoon when we are on the West Coast.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Actually we just use the OTR antenna if we really want the local channels because we enjoy being able to watch east coast news, etc. late in the afternoon when we are on the West Coast.

We have our DTV account set up so that we get the local channels in Corpus Christi where we spend our winter. Yet rarely do we watch the local news for more than its humor value. One of the 3 "network" stations in Corpus is so amateurish that you can almost mistake it for the movie UHF! :D Quite honestly, we get a lot better local news from the local newspaper's website which we can read for $5.mo.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We prefer the DNS to "locals". We have not need for a local station. I could care less what the local news is - mostly it is reporting violent crimes and other such "non news" nonsense. We can find anything "local" on the Internet, ad tailor our searches for better info. Like Joel said.

In our case we are grandfathered into the East AND West coast DNS feeds. As they said, you cannot do that any more. You have to pick.

As to service - we have had BOTH DTV and Dish. Both have about equal service in our experience. Both are challenged by anything out of the norm. IMO, it is up to the customer to become educated, or they "could" have a bad experience. Of course, you might have a bad experience anyway. :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Like Jack we are grandfathered into the DNS on Direct. At one time we had Dish and DNS but a judge in Florida slapped Dish's wrist and made them quit offering DNS for not following the rules. We found that the less we talk to them the better off we are. We rarely even wind up the OTA antenna for local channels. And docj, I will put up the locals here in Yuma, AZ. against your Corpus stations and Yuma will win hands down! Absolutely pitiful!

Speaking of watching local news for the humor, my favorite local news broadcast was during an early warm spell in upstate NY. The local weather person was broadcasting from the roof of the station, where he had a BBQ grill set up. He was flipping burgers as he talked about the warm spell. Then he pulled a burger off the grill and held it right up in front of himself and close to the lense for a closeup shot just as the burger holding end the melting PLASTIC spatula/flipper sagged from horizontal to vertical. The look on his face was priceless. The crew on the main desk had trouble continuing the broadcast.

It was hilarious, but maybe you needed to see it for yourself.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I guess I'm different, but I enjoy watching the local news for wherever I'm staying. Just like when I lived in one place year around, if I'm spending three or four months somewhere, I like to get a local flavor for the place. I enjoy staying abreast of current events. To me, it's part of experiencing the area where I'm staying. By watching local news, you get a take on the people's attitudes and behaviors. It's as important to me as going to the museums, parks, and various tourists attractions of the locale. JMO

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I guess I'm different, but I enjoy watching the local news for wherever I'm staying. Just like when I lived in one place year around, if I'm spending three or four months somewhere, I like to get a local flavor for the place. I enjoy staying abreast of current events. To me, it's part of experiencing the area where I'm staying. By watching local news, you get a take on the people's attitudes and behaviors. It's as important to me as going to the museums, parks, and various tourists attractions of the locale. JMO

But you don't need to have Satelitte TV to do that. That's where the OTR comes in. No need to change anything. For us, changing would affect our getting 180 Rangers games from April 1st to the end of September. :P

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

But you don't need to have Satelitte TV to do that. That's where the OTR comes in. No need to change anything.

Barb

Well, yes, I do. I spend nine months per year in areas where there is no OTA reception.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I agree. I like access to local when it is available but I find it much better in some locations than others. I enjoyed the PBS programs I got in the Albuquerque this summer but now I am near Memphis, Tn and don't like the programing nearly as much. On the other side I see a little dish or whatever they have at my daughters house and I find that lacking, too. (They have basic) Maybe if I was into sports more it would be more appealing

Well, yes, I do. I spend nine months per year in areas where there is no OTA reception.

Then get the locals spot beamed for that area. DNS works well for people who travel frequently. If you aren't traveling, then you wouldn't need the DNS.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We've got both East and West feeds, had them for a long long time. Have one box in the MH (SD) and one in a house (HD). Keep them both on all the time, just pay for the extra box. A year or so ago I wrote DTV and said they should allow RV'ers to receive ALL the spot beams. That way we would be getting the Local Advertisement which should make the advertisers happy. Basically got a canned response I assume they computer read my letter and gave a response that was no where near what I requested.

We have Dish and liked DNS when we had it, both thru Dish and All American Direct. Not having to change timers and making use of the East/West time shift to allow broadcast programs at the same time slot. But the Hopper solved the time shift advantage and changing some of the timers made then channel independent.

So now we have to change Locals when we go out of a spot beam when is after a couple of day moves. We don't care about local news and weather comes from the Internet.

We did gain having HDT broadcast channels which Dish DNS did not have.

At first we thought is would be a pain to have to contact Dish to change Services Addresses but it has turned out not to be a problem.

So at the moment, it looks like DirecTV has DNS and Dish has a more compliant customer service.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived