Directv Receiver Overheatig

The cabinet for the receiver is above the drivers seat in the front of the MH. We turn it off when driving as the plug is live. We did cut open the cabinet doors and put a screen there plus we leave the cabinet door open when using.

Our problem is that the cabinet is so hot the receiver overheats and turns off. We have a small fan in the back of the cabinet but that doesn't seem to help enough.

I have read about using a laptop stand with fans but looking at the box(hr22) there are no vents in the bottom. only on the sides and back.

The other solution we have seen is to daisy chain usb fans behind the receiver.

Has anyone had this problem and any comments on a solution would be welcomed.

We had the same problem with an older Direct DVR unit. Either the cooling fan inside it failed or it was one of the units produced without a fan. We did the same as you with the screen etc. We wound up attaching a small computer fan to the side of the receiver and that helped as long as the sun was not on the front of the coach. While traveling we unplugged the unit and that also helped.

We now have a newer Genie unit and it has built in cooling fans and has not gotten hot yet. For added cooling we have a small battery powered squirrel cage type refrigerator air circulation fan in the compartment. So far, so good and the front of the coach is facing south and the temps are running in the 90's.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

My Dish receiver has shut down a few time due to heat. I replaced the glass in the cabinet doors w/mesh screen, and have a 120v 4"desk top fan I use in the compartment. They are most effective pushing air out through the mesh on the upper shelf as that pulls air in on the the bottom shelf and it goes through the cabinet from bottom to top much like an attic fan works in a house. That has kept the receiver from sitting down even in the hottest conditions.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Barb, We effectively unplug it. We have an on/off switch on the plug and turn it off. Doesn't help.

I guess we will continue on with getting fans. We are thinking about getting 2 usb fans and placing them by the 2 side vents pulling air out and letting the air come in from the back. Without having vents in the bottom of the DVR we can't see where a laptop cooling base would work.

Off to Amazon I will go.

Our Dish reciever started heating up after 5 rs of sitting in the same spot and the hard drive acted like a rock crusher tumbling rocks. Talked Dish into sending a new reciever and all is well

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Our DirecTV HR22 used to run very hot and we added a computer cooling fan as has already been discussed. However, once we upgraded to an HR44 Genie all our heat problems were eliminated. The HR44 uses a separate power brick and the device itself runs quite cool compared to earlier models.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Our electronics cabinet was small and bad for solar load; our receiver ran hot at times. We put a J hook in the upper frame of the cabinet face surround and would hang a small fan on the hook plugged into 120 -- one that would move some air. It did the trick whenever we needed it.

We tried a couple things with our equipment cabinet (2 dish DVRs and our stereo) to keep it cooler, no amount of internal air movement really helped. We ended up cutting a fan-sized hole in the bottom so it could suck in cooler air and force it out around the door. That dropped the internal temp a lot, we were able to run the fan at low speed where it wasn't audible by switching from a 12 volt power brick to a six volt one.

Bottom, top or side would work for the fan hole depending on where you have room and it will get cool air. I'd just buy a three speed 12 volt fan if doing it again. I like the larger 120 mm fans, more air and less noise but if your space is only 90 or 82 mm a smaller one will do the job too. I really prefer the dual ball bearing models, quieter and last longer too.

http://smile.amazon.com/Antec-TriCool-DBB-Cooling-3-Speed/dp/B00066ISES

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I'll try that again: http://smile.amazon.com/Antec-TriCool-DBB-Cooling-3-Speed/dp/B00066ISES

Ah! the silly forum tacked a blank space on the end of the URL in the first post, I fixed it there too.

If you have vents then you are probably going to be cooling enough with them and a fan or two, our cabinet only had the gap around the door for air movement and needed something more.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We just ordered 2 usb fans that blow lots of air. We olan to put them by the vents on each side. Hope that solves the problem.

I have a couple of these and for little fans they can definitely be heard.

I also use thermally-controlled fans which cost more but automatically turn off when the cabinet gets cool. Much better than constantly running fans.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived