Do any class B full timers have insurance only on their RV and not any other vehicle?

Mcfly

I'm preparing to live and work full-time in my Winnebago Rialta HD and so far I've talked to 2 specialty RV insurance agents who told me that I need to have insurance on another vehicle besides the RV, since even with full-timers insurance on my RV, it can't be the only vehicle I have insured, because I need to have another car for commuting to work, using a drive-through, etc.

Even after explaining that I work remotely, don't need a commuter vehicle, and have a small 21' RV that can go and park almost anywhere, they don't seem to understand that I really don't need a toad or commuter vehicle, and said there is no way around this rule.

Fortunately, I haven't gotten rid of my car yet, so I can insure it and store it, but that seems like a waste of $ and space. Some suggested that I get a scooter and insure that. While that's a better option that would be cheaper and take less space, it would still be a waste and hopefully something I can avoid.

Does anyone know if there any way around this rule, or any insurance agent/company that will insure a class B RV as the primary and only vehicle? Also, could this be a workaround--if I have my RV insurance through a different company than the car insurance, after securing the RV policy can I just sell/donate the car and stop that insurance, or will that car insurance cancelation impact my RV policy somehow?

I'd really appreciate any insight from anyone who knows about this or has been through this before. Thank you!!

Calvin

Linda--I followed up on your tip and talked to an agent with Foremost, and he said this shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again for your help!

Please, read the policy once you get it. Progressive did sell us a policy; it was only by reading it we discovered the second vehicle clause which caused us to cancel it. Foremost's policy did not have that clause but that was back in 2008 and we all know how many things can change in that time span.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 months later...

I have the same concerns regarding full-timing insurance on a Class B. Have been told by Geico that they offer the coverage but I didn't trust that they really understood full-timing and that I'd have no other vehicle.

As you found, Foremost is the only company I've heard of that claims to offer this type of coverage. Like Mcfly I do not want the bother of owning another vehicle. I am guessing Class B full-timers are rare?

Another thought I had to get around this was to get an annual rental in an RV park and just be there occasionally. So I'm not technically full-timing if I have a year-round lease on a site. I'd very much appreciate any feedback on this approach! I plan to buy my B early next year, but want to be positive that I can get insurance coverage

-Cathy

Another thought I had to get around this was to get an annual rental in an RV park and just be there occasionally. So I'm not technically full-timing if I have a year-round lease on a site. I'd very much appreciate any feedback on this approach!

Don't try to trick an insurance company. That can turn out to be way expensive. Plus, it's important you get the liability insurance that normally comes with your house or apartment insurance. Foremost is a good company so we just paid up and went on our way with the peace of mind you get from doing things properly.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Appreciate your reply, Linda! I was trying to get around the technicality of having a "regular" street address or not, and of course the annual rental at an RV park is something I'd like to avoid. I'm happy to pay whatever Foremost charges for full-timers, but also have a concern that they seem to be the only company offering it, and if they should ever drop this coverage on Class B.

Maybe I'm worrying too much on this topic!

Thanks,

-Cathy

I'm happy to pay whatever Foremost charges for full-timers, but also have a concern that they seem to be the only company offering it, and if they should ever drop this coverage on Class B.

Maybe I'm worrying too much on this topic!

It might help you to know we bought that insurance in 2008. I don't think Foremost is going away any time soon.

Linda Sand

Thanks again, Linda! That is good to know, and a big relief that I will be insurable. Foremost it will be, once I get everything else in place. I really had my heart set on a Class B, most likely Pleasure-Way. Saw them at the Hershey Show, got to meet Dean Rumpel, the CEO who does their excellent videos.

-Cathy

One more concern is weight. We make it a requirement to get a scale weight before purchase. We take the vehicle to a CAT or other scale during the test drive. Some Class B's have added so many "features" they leave little capacity for things like food and clothes. With both of us in it, our first Class B had only 800 lbs of capacity for all the necessities. We removed one mostly decorative cupboard and the TV to get enough capacity for our own goods but even then I gave up my jeans for cotton slacks--jeans are HEAVY!

Linda Sand

• 4 weeks later...

Archived