HDT Wish List

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to put a wish list together for my truck and trailer. I have not pulled my trailer yet. I am trying to get a list of equipment that I will need to get on the road as save as possible. I am trying to pull the info from the people that have gotten their trucks and trailers the way they want. I have looked at the resource guild and did not see such a list. I want the list to started with what equipment that would be the most important first then moving down the list for least important. This list would also include the equipment for the trailer. I want to use the wish list as a punch list for things that will make the truck and trailer as save as possible and enjoyable to use. I am a one man crew.

The first thing on my list would be a tire pressure and temperature sensors for the truck and the trailer.

How would your list look like ?

My making a list would be a big help to me and any rookie starting out to get a truck and trailer together.

Looking forward to see your list, thanks for your help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Are you looking for just safety oriented gear or does "any" equipment count?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Are you looking for just safety oriented gear or does "any" equipment count?

Jack, I am looking for any equipment. My truck is already titled as a motorhome. So I don't need any equipment for those regulations. I should say, what would you buy first then second and so on. I know that I need to stay with in my yearly budget. I already have an air hitch for the truck and a GPS. My thinking is to have a tire pressure and temperature system first, then a rear view camera second. I'm I going in the right direction ? What would be needed for the trailer ?

Thanks for the help,

Al

Stuff I carry and rarely, if ever, use:

Flares

2 Reflective safety vests

Emergency triangles

Heavy duty wheel chocks, not light weight like you would use on the trailer

Emergency tire chains

2 Tool boxes: one with 3/8 & 1/2 drive socket sets; one with full set of hand tools and wrenches

Spare set of tail lights (just because I replaced them with LEDs)

CB radio

Hand held Cibie floodlight with cigar lighter plug

A couple of flashlights

Assortment of plastic tie wraps

Assortment of bungie cords

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Cameras

tire pressure and temp monitor

reverse lighting

Big Air Horn!

X2 on the serious air horns. The Volvo factory horn sucks. I mounted a pair of Hadleys through the fog light positions in the front bumper.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

HI AL!

Ditto on tools, but I also carry a small plastic Storage 8"x14"x4 1/2" deep type box in the driver side storage bay under the bunk, just for every day quick grab stuff. That way every time I need some thing-a-majig I don't need to go to the real tool bay. I still have room for 6 shopping bags, gotta have grub. Under that in a wash basin type tub a 1/2 doz. ratchet straps. Also in there jumper cables, couple of extension cords, a light 3/8x50' air hose that reaches all my tires when needed. Also a good commercial tire pressure gauge and the matching tire fill tool, I also have a 2000wt. inverter and my Jackalopee, no longer out in the weather. On the other side stuff I don't need to often like gal. oil, anti-freeze, emergency stuff, wax an cleaners. I would also mention to get at least 26' jumper cables. That way I can reach my trailer batteries from the truck if needed. Well good luck that should keep you busy for a little while anyway.

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Al,

One thing if you don't have an APU on the truck may be a small generator. I have a Honda 2000 generator I carry in the drom box if we are not by the RV for aux power. Even if the truck batteries need to be charged or just staying overnight in the truck it is nice to have power. Also, a good battery charger.

DennisM....I like those emergency chains with the ratchet straps so you don't damage the wheels.

Hi Everyone,

Please keep bring the info. I have one thing that I can check off the list is the big air horn. I cleaned up, polished and replaced the solenoid for the horn. Boy,it is loud ! My neighbor loves it when I give it a blast.(lol)

It is starting to sound like the cameras should be #1 followed by tire monitor as #2.

Please keep the info coming,

Al

In addition to what others carry....... Navi-goddess, "P" Can foam fire extinguisher, smoke/Co2 detector, fan and alternator belts, extra air line and various air fittings, governor, fuses, engine coolant, oil, potable water, power bars, set of dishes/utensiles, fan, pillows, first aid kit, compass and truckers atlas, GPS, ground mat, coveralls, extra clothes, bug spray, bleach, porta-potti w/chemicals, white noise machine for sleeping, other misc. junk.

Brad

Archived