Interesting Dash Cam

Big5er

I know the topic of "good" dash cams comes up occasionally and I just ran across this one by Garmin. I think I know what I may be getting for Valentines Day :wub: I dropped a hint to my furry children. I bet one of them will get it for me :) I told all three of them I don't need flowers or candy (well, maybe the candy) but I sure would like one of these. :D

cf-lg.jpg

It has built in GPS and records date, time and location. It runs continuously when plugged in, and records in HD. It says it has a "G-sensor" to detect hard braking and collisions so it automatically saves the previous, current and next videos.

EDIT: (Cute little review of the camera HERE)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You gotta price for those of us who may have to buy it for themselves? Are they available yet?

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Garmin sells it for $249, Amazon has it for prices ranging from $199 all the way to, ready for this?, $399 plus shipping. The sad part is that someone will buy the $399 one :)

And Rod, if my furry kids get it for me it'll be cuz I went out and bought it, got myself a card and slapped a paw print signature on the bottom where it says "Love ya Dad". :P

2014 smart Fortwo

Does this one play a uh-oh sound then say, "You really should have turned there" then replay the video of the turn you just missed?

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Does this one play a uh-oh sound then say, "You really should have turned there" then replay the video of the turn you just missed?

I think you're confusing this with "Wife 1.0". :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Wow! It sees into the future? :lol: Cool!

It doesn't "see" the future, it only "records" the future so you can relive that string of funny words you used right after the crash. You can replay it over and over as Gail tells more and more people about "that" day and how you shoulda listened to her.

2014 smart Fortwo

Wow! It sees into the future? :lol: Cool!

Perhaps this is the feature that justifies the price on that $399 model referenced earlier?

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Though very proud of their unit, Garmin got it right showing GPS position, speed, date, & time across bottom of saved video.

Now if they would just make a dual or triple camera version so you could point one toward the drivers side window & one towards the back that would save all views (audio & video) in a single synchronized file. That way you would capture what's going on in front, in back, & on the side, all at once. That would be great.

Sure put this on after you talked me into a GoPro a while back.....now what...over???? :rolleyes:

Yeah, but the GoPro is not a one trick pony :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That looks to be a real nice unit to me. I love the telemetry info overlaid on the video.

Our G1W-c with the Novatek NT96650 seems the way to go on a budget.

These little pups do a great job and are priced so you can stick 4 of them around for

$120 plus some memory chips. Been using for a year and nothing of interest has

been recorded, this is a good thing I think.

Yamaha V-Star
ThermoKing TriPack

Yar, when I cause an accident I send the pictures to the the other guy to help him out, NOT. .

No, seriously, I use it to help protect myself against untrue accusations about where I've been and what I did.

This litigious time we live in has seen many falsely charged. People have been known to cause an accident

and say you caused it. That's one of the reasons Big5's Garmin is so sweet, speed, time direction with video

record. Would put a quick end to the life of a lie.

Yamaha V-Star
ThermoKing TriPack

Sure put this on after you talked me into a GoPro a while back.....now what...over???? :rolleyes:

But like Jack said the GoPro is multi...uh..lingual.I can do lots of different stuff...but one thing even it can't do is add GPS to the video. I use my GoPro for kayaking and other cool stuff, and it never fails, I jump in the truck and where is the GoPro? Back there in the trailer. Plus the GoPro is waterproof and holds can hold a 64gig card. The Garmin isn't and only holds a 32g card so it can just stay in the truck.

2014 smart Fortwo

I got a dash cam for Christmas, the nice thing about it is you don't have to remember to turn it on. Start the vehicle and it starts recording

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

But one thing even it can't do is add GPS to the video...........

Well -- There's a way around this ...... Depends on what you want to do with the GPS file.

If it's imbedding a speedometer into the video -- Then it can be done. I'm not saying it's easy - But possible. I experimented making a couple of video's doing this a few years ago. I'll post and you can evaluate if this interests you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oarwvNJUPYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB90myhi5cw

To do this I use a QSTARZ BT-Q1000eX Data Logger and for software I use Dashware.

On Dash Cam's -- -- I like the Blackvue 2 Channel DR650GW Full HD with built-in WiFi.

Another candidate is the ipixi Winycam X200FHD.

FUN Times -- -- I LUV gadgets .. .. .. :D

I like gadgets too, but simple gadgets. I guess I should have clarified my statement that the GoPro, by itself, could not add GPS to the video, and for the price of the Data Logger, I can just buy the Garmin. Turn it on and it does it for me. No fuss.

The Blackvue is real nice. I hadn't seen it before but for the amount of use a dashcam in my HDT will see, it isn't worth it and I certainly don't need the wifi when the Garmin has a screen and isn't that much larger. I don't need to view it remotely (very limited remotely) and having it's own screen makes aiming virtually idiot proof (I need that :) ). The Garmin also can easily be used to take still photos, something that a camera without it's own screen would make awkward. I have to balance desire, need, use and cost....and consider that forme it is JUST a dash cam

2014 smart Fortwo

On sale now at Bj's Wholesale $199.99 with free shipping. Going there later for a couple things will see if they have one in stock.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine this weekend from Bj's online. Put it in the car and will see how it works. Would like to mount it on the motorcycle but would need to get more power than the single power outlet I have now. It doesn't say how water resistant they are. Used a NUVI for a long time on the bike and didn't have any problems with it. Would toss it in a water proof compartment if it was pouring down rain but if it was just a drizzle left it where it was.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Archived