Truck Issue - Opinions solicited....

Jack Mayer

HI Jack Sounds like fuel, first place I would look. Fill tanks, change all filters, check vents on tank, ect.. But ...... check the engine oil pressure when the engine is stumbling. Might be a low oil pressure censer. The voltage very, reads a little low pressure at first, then gage jumps all over, later. I had one go out last summer. Service light came on, went out..... no codes..... hard to start, got worse after 300 miles to finally the gage started jumping.. went to limp mode. Low oil pressure cancer. You CAN"T bypass it. Got part number from Volvo....found one at a truck dealer. near by. Five minuets, had it in. Made engine act like bad fuel, with the uneven voltage to the computer. Just a thought . Good luck OU812

another place to look is Voltage from the battery and alternator. low voltage will make the electronics act weird.

though the almost limp mode and white smoke has me thinking troubleshooting in this order : fuel, coolant , low voltage , and injector.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Jack; I'm of the camp that if fuel not your problem perhaps a transient electrical problem associated with one of the plugs from any one of the many engine sensors feeding to or near your ECU/ECM's being the culprit.

I had a problem with an A/C dryer low side sensor inhibiting compressor clutch engagement and it was after leaving the RGV in Apr. 2007 if memory serves, travelling through a very rare blizzard that shut down a section of I-40 storm-staying us in a KOA near Clinton Ok. for two days to then hit much warmer weather east of there which was when the A/C refused to light off.

Upon inspection at an International dealer in Tulsa it was revealed that the cold-hot-cold was drawing moist air into plugs and the resultant condensation inside plugs then faulting out or rusting contacts.

Mechanic advised me that while any preventative maintenance was being performed on the truck to undo any plugs in the vicinity and pack them with dialectic grease then re-couple them to watch that grease ooze out of the plug. He said that would prevent moist air from entering plugs during a rapid cool down or cold soak of the truck to then wreak havoc on contacts in the plugs.

As an example those stupid probes on the male A/C sensors plugs were only .020 diameter little pins susceptible to rust and breakage. Fishing the broken bits out of the female part was a PITA.

I must have gone through 4 or 5 tubes of Grote Dialectic grease in my ownership tenure of that little booger.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Bruce, Sandra & Scampi cat SKP#86370

Looks like it is fixed as of an hour ago. I replaced the secondary fuel filter, added a "bunch" of fuel treatment to the tank, and fired her up. She ran normally after stumbling at the beginning. No smoke and no skips. Now I have to change out the Davco....I got the wrong filter. It was full of junk, by the way. While I have not driven it yet, I'm pretty confident that I have resolved it. I'll follow up on Monday after adding the last filter.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

Glad it's back running, I've had a similar issue, but it wasn't the fuel it was glow plugs. Several weren't getting proper voltage sometimes and not heating. It was hard to start when cold and even harder to start when the temp was colder. When it did start it would smoke white and run rough, lack power and such. I also got the check engine light, but no code.

Final resolution is that I replaced both filters, dumped LOTS of diesel additive in the tanks, and we are back to normal. I still have not topped the tanks up (cause I'm sick) but the truck runs and drives normal at the moment.

Thanks for all the input.

My niece was over during this little adventure - she is a heavy diesel mechanic - and she said: 1) bad fuel is by far the most likely. 2) injector is second most likely. I was happy for it to be fuel. :)

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Glad it was the fuel or filter being the problem. :) now if you get to feeling better the world will be sunny again. B)

Yes, Bob....it will be good to feel "human" again.....but I've got a ways to go - still on the downhill slide.... But I am super happy the truck issue is resolved....

www.jackdanmayer.com

Glad to hear the problem is fixed Jack. As an aside for others, we had a similar problem with our cummins isx. It was a check valve problem in the fuel system at the filter housing. Seems algae had accumulated to the point that the valve would not close allowing fuel to back flow toward the tanks. This caused loss of power and engine surge. I pulled it apart and cleaned the valve with brake cleaner and re-assembled. Runs great.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

Just a followup on this issue. With a 500 mile trip under our belts now, it is confirmed that the issue is resolved. That is a good thing.

The dual filters likely helped with it not showing up as fast as it might of. The first filter is the standard Volvo fuel/separator cartridge filter. I did not see a lot of water in it but frankly I dumped much of the fuel out of it getting it off because of the position I was in. I won't do it THAT way again.

The Davco had "some" water in it but not a lot.

I'm glad I have dual filters, though.

On another topic - some may remember that I have been fighting an on again/off again "Service" light for quite some time now. It never stayed off more than around 100 miles. No one could find the cause or a code.

I now have a "theory" that it was related to the water/bad/fuel issue. Because it was gone immediately on filter change and has not come back. We will see as I put more miles on. But so far, so good. So file that back in your mind as a possible Service event. BTW, I do not have the "water in fuel" indicator on my truck.

www.jackdanmayer.com

BTW, I do not have the "water in fuel" indicator on my truck.

Assuming you have the mid-level or high-level instrument cluster, it wouldn't be there in the form of an idiot light--it would show up on the bottom line of the driver information display. It would also light up the "check" light--if you were getting that with no codes, I could see it being easily overlooked among all of the other of icons.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

David, I'll have to look at my DID closer to see if that is on it....that is a good lead. I definitely do not have an indicator symbol. I also wonder if Volvo is picking this up from someplace other than the filters.I don't have the Davco water indicator and there is no sign of any sensor on the Volvo filter or near it. But it might be picked up elsewhere. Anyone know about that?

www.jackdanmayer.com

My little ISC is doing the check engine light thing. In a 750 mile trip it came on6-8 times. mostly 30-45 seconds. I'll change my filters this weekend.

Thanks, Wayne.

Wayne

2009 Freightliner M2-106 Crewcab

8.3 Cummins 330/1000- Allison 3000RDS

2003 Newmar MountainAire 39 SDTS

Archived