Hewhoknowslittle's VNL610 bed build

Hewhoknowslittle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok Big 5er

You know a little to much about Dr Pepper and their history Intervention may be needed.

On a side note we hauled a load of flavoring for one of the top energy drink company's .

Was hazmat Flammable and corrosive fell under ( guide 127) that's scary.

Try to put 48 grams of sugar into 12 oz of water and try to drink it I bet most people would gag. I've always wondered how nasty an unsweetened Coca Cola would taste.

Ok Big 5er

You know a little to much about Dr Pepper and their history Intervention may be needed.

Are you implying that I'm a Dr. Pepper junkie?? :P I'm fairly sure that it isn't a well kept secret here. B)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Are you implying that I'm a Dr. Pepper junkie?? :P I'm fairly sure that it isn't a well kept secret here. B)

Let's just say that trying to find a Gift for you would not be hard. Only how much to buy.

Or maybe a home and work truck soda Fountain.

If room is tight in the work truck you could get rid of something far less important like portable scales.

New pictures added, was a long and tiring weekend, but the bed is almost done.

Need to fit side doors, make the top tool box doors and now we are going to make the dovetail open for access to lights, wiring and fitting in coolers for the around the camp beverages, including Dr. Pepper for Phil!!

Pictures are not in order yet, but when I find time they will be.

And the saw blade gave up Saturday night, went to Northern tools and bought a new one, 54.00 and cuts better than the original blade did. Packaging stated cuts like a hot knife through butter, and I agree.

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/rogerjones218/library/Bed%20Build

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Nice job on the build. Just a note of caution. Is your wheel cut out large enough to allow removal of a tire while the suspension air is deflated? This bit another member (I can't remember who at this time) at a very inoportune time and had to be corrected after the fact.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Nice job on the build. Just a note of caution. Is your wheel cut out large enough to allow removal of a tire while the suspension air is deflated? This bit another member (I can't remember who at this time) at a very inoportune time and had to be corrected after the fact.

Chad,

When the bags are deflated the tires are inside of the bed, I haven't tested taking them off with the suspension deflated, but I do carry jacks so can just jack up the truck to make room if needed.

I don't think it will pose a problem for me, as the motorhome's I have had with air ride the tires went up into the body as well.

I might regret this statement, but I have never needed a tire replaced or repaired while traveling on any RV I have owned. I am one that replaces the tires on age, not millage. That has always kept my side skirts original, and everything else intact, does cost to do it this way, but the tire shop buys my old tires at a good price to resell to one of his costumers that don't care about age of casings.

All the tires on this truck was replaced last year, Toyo's on the front, I don't remember the name of the rears but never heard of them, Next year they will go, and Michelin steer tires will go in place of them.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bed updates.

Welding done, bed off for paint and lights. Pictures added here http://s42.photobucket.com/user/rogerjones218/library/Bed%20Build

Just so everyone knows if your painting with the POR-15 that stuff is tuff, I got it on my skin and it will not come off!!

I'll take some more pictures of the bed with it on it, but not looking forward to painting again today, I put the first coat in the tool boxes in black, will top coat with silver to brighten them up, as these old eyes need all the help they can get.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Looking very, very nice Roger. I like the storage behind the tailights. I've thought of doing that but did not.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Looking very, very nice Roger. I like the storage behind the tailights. I've thought of doing that but did not.

Thanks Jack,

Just a note if you use POR-15 stay away from the silver, doesn't cover well and looks bad, now I get to apply another coat of gray to cover it up, my paint supplier told me today he has nothing but complaints about the silver, I thanked him for wasting my 45.00, he replied your welcome!

But it is going to be done and on the Volvo this weekend with some luck.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

How much does one of these beds weigh?

BTW...short sleeves in a shop? What gives?!

Great question, I weighed the truck today without the bed, next week I will reweigh the truck with the bed before I fill up the boxes for the actual weight of the bed.

I don't have the weights in front of me at this time but front axle close to 9600 lbs and rear axle close to 4800 lbs, making truck about 13,500. I am singled short btw.

And to your question about short sleeves in the shop, Yes we do, even I do it some times, but I normally wear long sleeves for my protection.

BTW got the bed into paint today, not much done but prep but should be red tomorrow, and will be a nice birthday present for me.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the finished product Roger,

BTW:

B-day_Frog_zpsmjf1kzzk.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Roger...didn't mean to suggest you were working unsafely. The thought of short sleeves for those of us experiencing this Northeast winter is just a pipe dream right now. :(

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Nice, well thought out design. Curious minds want to know, what are you using for design? Chalkboard, bar napkins, software? I know these designs tend to evolve once the sparks start to fly.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Roger...didn't mean to suggest you were working unsafely. The thought of short sleeves for those of us experiencing this Northeast winter is just a pipe dream right now. :(

We used Sketchup for the design of the bed, then did do many changes on the fly.

Nice, well thought out design. Curious minds want to know, what are you using for design? Chalkboard, bar napkins, software? I know these designs tend to evolve once the sparks start to fly.

It's still cold here so long sleeves are a must for this old man, including a head cover.

The bed is painted at this point, tomorrow bed liner then lights and install on the truck. Will update pictures over the weekend.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Roger, I got a PM from the ET, apparently it was used as a tool caddy, chunks of steel were dragged across it, it had to dodge welding sparks, grinding sparks, it currently sports a heavy coat of dust, it just felt generally used and abused.

I had to used my considerable persuasive skills to "calm it down". I told it that once the painted and finished bed is installed and you two start working together to "pull something" you will become fast friend with respect for each other.

Nice job

Roger, I got a PM from the ET, apparently it was used as a tool caddy, chunks of steel were dragged across it, it had to dodge welding sparks, grinding sparks, it currently sports a heavy coat of dust, it just felt generally used and abused.

I had to used my considerable persuasive skills to "calm it down". I told it that once the painted and finished bed is installed and you two start working together to "pull something" you will become fast friend with respect for each other.

Nice job

Yes it has been abused and neglected at this point of it's life, but things are about to change, next you will here about being banged on, taken down ruff roads, kept in the cold, heat, dark of night, freezing rain, and hi pressure washed.

Thanks for all the complements, and I just saw the bed with final coat on, looking good, now to get er done as they say. :D

PS as a side note I ordered a Knoedler Grand Chief seat today, got most of the options including heat, a/c, massage, two tone leather to mention a few, was more than I wanted to spend at 2300.00, but it is my birthday today and I treat myself well. I don't think the passenger seat will be fitted with all the extras, but who knows :blink:

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Roger, I have one of those Grand Chief seats.....you are going to like it. Now I just have to get the heat working in mine.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Looking good. That POR stuff can be a pain to remove from skin, time is about the thing that will work. we use a lot of rubber gloves when painting that stuff. Lots of nice compartments. The rear overhang should help get some weight off the front axle. Ours did and we have yet to drag the backend.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I see that your doors are flush with the bed. How are you sealing the doors. I still have to build and install my doors and was wondering how you did yours and how you were going to seal them. Thanks

Quentin

We built a inner frame so the doors would close on them, just used some Dseal, like this one http://www.awdirect.com/rubber-gasket-d-shaped-gasket-thg4/truck-hardware-and-equipment/

We inset the inner frame 3/16 so the seal would fit and the doors would be flush.

After going to the BlueBeacon yesterday only one compartment had water in it, watched the guy spray around the door frame for a long time, didn't say anything to him as I wanted to see if the door would leak. Next time I'll tell them to spray easy around the door seals.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived