A new challenge

phoenix2013

Henry, I'm going to my fabricator Monday. Do you have something with dimensions I could take to him?

Thanks

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1/4" gap (it's actually a drain though) is there. The 26" measurement is probably correct, but I'll confirm that tomorrow morning when I take the truck to the fabricator.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

I just checked and the dimension is in fact 26". It's 20 1/4" on the bottom flat, and 5 3/4" from the outer edge of the square tube to the far edge of the angle.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Since we moved to Port St. Lucie, I died and went to heaven. There is an incredible jazz scene here under umbrella of this organization http://www.jazzsociety.org/ They have jams once or twice a week, all kinds of performances. They have top shelf performing artists winter in this area just to be part of this scene and perform and they hate to go back. I know I used to. Just take the look at the schedule. Plus they have two theaters where they bring big names all the time. Quite the difference for me from living in the woods of New Hampshire, waiting foe the black bear come out of hibernation and crap on my back yard.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

I love the DETAIL that everone puts into the "projects" here. Talent + Retirement and "sums" of $$$ yields pretty stunning results at times.

I have to chuckle a bit recalling dragging around a 20 ft orange fiberglass orchard ladder to get into and out of a bunch of old DC-6/7 retardent tankers, of course the ladder helped us also smear the bugs around on the cockpit windows and check out too many engines hung on the wings.

We would always joke that we would someday talk the "old man" into one of those $700,000 hydraulic auto "Airstair" polished, carpeted stairways that the exec-jets deployed when they blasted into the ramp and disgorged and buch of bankers into limos...........

Oh well, back the the thread....... I am watching this "project" with interest because I have been pondering about building a garage box on the back of the old FL...... when still hitched (reciever pull toybox) it is not kosher to deploy the pickup ramp to get into the garage.

My wifes hobby of horse camping and trail rideing makes our RV configuration odd in that when we are setup in camp a full-size pickup with stock-racks can be utilized to haul the horse to trail heads remote from our camp site ( Try as much as I might I could not get Dolly (DW's paint-horse) into the back of a Smartcar)

We built a Custom removable "Dolly-module" that fits sidewise into the last 32" of the toyhauler and it works very well but hauling horses with you can get really HEAVY and space consuming fast. Our RV setup needs are pretty odd.... if we stay out in the boondocks for extended times. Once we arrive at our final destination camp it takes us less than 5 minutes to remove the fiberglass floor pan and two wall panels and then no one would ever know that a horse had ever been in the toyhauler.

We tend to haul Several hundred gallons of water, a TON of hay, tack, grooming supplies, etc, etc,..... makes it looks like the Army travels light.....

So I watch with interest tis project since I am a bit heavy and IF I have a 100 lb hay-bale in hand the ladder has a real test (most times I try to just toss the bale from the deck to the ground but wet or muddy ground brings the "ladder olympics" into play.

Looking forward to viewing the images of the finished project.

Happy travels,

Mike, Carol & Dolly the paint-horse

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

The only excuse I can offer is that these are Paradise safety shoes (an uptick from flip flops)

We loaded the tank with cutting fluid and put the machine into production. We thought that the 6 point Chinese blade (supplied with the saw) was a bit coarse for steel, but it dispensed that DOM tubing with aplomb.

Then we moved on to the 4 lengths of hardened shaft stock, three cuts later the blade was toast. We called sawblade.com and immediately ordered replacement, variable 10-14 pitch. I've had good luck with this pitch saws in steel in the past, but this is first time I'm dealing with hardened stock, any suggestions. By the way, chops saw has no issue with the shafts.

DSC_0085.JPG

Archived