which dish for direct

We are getting ready to begin our adventure of full time and are looking to purchase an automatic satellite dish for our Direct TV system.

We are specifically interested In a portable automatic dish but the majority of the ones we are finding are designated for Dish Network only. Can anyone suggest which one on the market is best for Direct TV but not ridiculously expensive? We are not interested in the "in-motion" type.

Winegard's "Carryout G2" portable automatic works with Direct, Dish, or Bell. For Direct, as with any of the domes, it will only get SD service. One drawback of the G2 is that it uses a separate 12-volt power cord along with the signal coax. King Dome also has units I believe, that will work with Direct for SD service, but I'm not familiar with their models other than the Dish only Tailgater. All of the domes are also limited to seeing only one satellite at a time, ruling out feeding more than one receiver, or a multi-tuner receiver, and watching channels that are on different satellites at the same time.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

All of the domes are also limited to seeing only one satellite at a time, ruling out feeding more than one receiver, or a multi-tuner receiver, and watching channels that are on different satellites at the same time.

According to the tech specs for the Winegard G2, it does work with two receivers. The specs also says it's capable of getting the 101 and the 119 satellites for DirecTV. I don't know how much SD programming is on the 119 to even worry about, so watching different channels on different TVs may not be a problem with DirecTV since the bulk of the programming is on the 101.

http://www.winegard.com/carryout/carryout-tech-specs

The Winegard Carryout Anser also works with DirecTV and is capable of working with 2 receivers as is the Winegard Carryout MP1.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

According to the tech specs for the Winegard G2, it does work with two receivers. The specs also says it's capable of getting the 101 and the 119 satellites for DirecTV. I don't know how much SD programming is on the 119 to even worry about, so watching different channels on different TVs may not be a problem with DirecTV since the bulk of the programming is on the 101.

http://www.winegard.com/carryout/carryout-tech-specs

The Winegard Carryout Anser also works with DirecTV and is capable of working with 2 receivers as is the Winegard Carryout MP1.

Yes, the G2 and other models will feed two receivers, but they will only "see" one satellite at a time. As I said, "...and watching channels that are on different satellites at the same time." On Dish, pretty much all of the non-local HD channels are on 72.7, making watching two channels there easy as well, for those few domes that will tune the eastern arc birds. The limitations may not rule out the domes for many folks, but they should at least be aware of them when making a purchase decision. For some, the SD only issue on Direct is a deal breaker in itself.

I left out the Anser and MP1 since they are not fully automatic, or automatic at all in the case of the MP1.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Howdy!

We've been using the Winegard G2 portable satellite dish for several months now and we very pleased with it. I did a lot of research before buy it and seem at this time its the best one now. We don't require HD so the SD receiver we had worked just fine. The satellite works great, I set it up connect it and by the time I go into the RV it is up and working.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Recommend you AVOID the King Dome completely. Monaco installed them as OEM for a while and everyone I have talked too or read on the Monaco oriented chat boards say they are trash and have replaced them.

I am not sure what your $$ requirements are, but Winegard has an automatic antenna in the $1,500 range and that would also probably require professional installation. If this is a viable option for you let me know and I will put you in touch with installers I recommend.

Dave O

Going Full Time most of your storage space will be needed.

A Winegard Trav'ler SWM on the roof can be used for HD and with the new Genie receivers DirecTV now has.

And it will free up a big storage area that the portables may or may not fit in your MH.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Archived