Diesel Emmission Fluid

We've been looking at some new 1 ton trucks recently as a replacement for our 2006, 2500 CTD. It has the 5.9L w/o the DEF feature/requirement. I've done a bit of reading about DEF and it's pro's and con's. Certainly one con is the increased cost/mile. At $5-7/gallon, the stuff isn't exactly insignificant. What I'm having trouble determining is how much of this is consumed when towing a 5th wheel with a standard truck. Some of the information states HDT's use 2-3 gallons/100 miles...wow! Of course the truck salesman say's "oh, it hardly uses any... a tank should last you a long time". I'm wondering if he means that to be the case if the truck is parked :D .

For those who have standard trucks with this system, what has been your experience?

Thanks

I don't drive a diesel truck, but my friends that drive Ford Superduty trucks that use DEF tell me that they get "about" 1000 mpg of DEF while towing. With a 5 gallon DEF tank you can go a very long way without having to worry about topping off and the cost is minor.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Considering the cost of RVing DEF in not a consideration to me. A 2.5 gallon jug of DEF costs between $9 at WalMart for their brand and $14 at Ford dealers. I add a jug 500 to 1000 miles after the trucks info center tells me I'm under a half tank (the F350 has a 5 gallon tank). If I add it as soon as it tells me I'm down to half a tank it will not take the full 2.5 gallon jug. It's about 3000 or 3500 miles until I add more DEF towing and not towing. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I have a 2012 Ford F-350 and pull a 5th wheel toy hauler. When not towing my DEF needs to berefilled at my oil change which I do every 7,500 miles. When pulling I get about half that

before needing to add DEF.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

In my MB Sprinter van while not towing a 5 gallon DEF tanks would last 5,000 miles. I could not pour 2 of the 2.5 gallon jugs in, though, so there was always some left when the gauge said to add more. My manual said I could restart the engine something like 16 times once the warning came on and I pushed it too close for comfort to that limit one time in West Texas before refilling in Austin. Never towed with a Sprinter so don't know if that makes a difference.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On our ford F350, about every 3,000 to 4,000 miles is when I fill it with DEF. On the Freightliner with a 13 liter Detroit, I fill it up about every 4,000 to 5,000 miles but it has a 12 gallon tank. On the new Kenworth with a 15 liter ISX, I ordered it with a 23 gallon tank and expect to fill it up every 4th or 5th tank of fuel which would be around 6,000 to 7,000 miles.

By the way, getting your DEF at a truckstop from the pump will cost usually less than $3 a gallon

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

What N TX Dave said. GMC 3500 Duramax and towing a DRV 5th wheel. The first couple of times I took it to the dealer and bought a case of their DEF for about $35.00. From then on I just refilled the empty jugs at the truck stop for about $2.50-2.75/gl. I haven't tracked it real closely but I have 22,000 miles on the truck and have used 11 gallons with most of the miles towing the 36' RSSB3 and that is mostly in hilly country. 22k/11= 2,000 miles/gal.

Roger and Barbara

On the pale blue planet, retired and happy.

2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3

2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW

The other big advantage with the newer pickups that use DEF is they get better fuel mileage. The DEF is injected into the exhaust stream, ahead of the CAT, and the reaction reduces the NOX in the exhaust. By using the DEF, they can lean out the diesel mixture, and still meet emissions rules.

The cost of DEF is very little as noted above and places like Flying J Truck Stops have it cheaper and

by pump so that you will know what you are putting into the tank. I have been told that it helps with the noise, black smoke

and to reduce emissions.

DEF fluid isn't an issue. Cost is small. The systems for the DEF can be troublesome. I kept my 2012 until 50kish miles. It was in the shop more than I cared for. Real bad problem is, if there is a problem with system, it will go in reduced power mode. Says speed reduced to 55 in xxx miles. 55 equals 15mph towing. Warranty paid all the bills but it cost me big time in work lost. Most my work is emergency shutdowns. I have to be there quick. If truck is in shop I can't go.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My DEF gauge was down to 1/2 at exactly 5000 miles- just like the manual said. Refill costs $12.00 and some change at WalMart. Going by that, about $25.00 every 10000 miles.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

My DEF gauge was down to 1/2 at exactly 5000 miles- just like the manual said. Refill costs $12.00 and some change at WalMart. Going by that, about $25.00 every 10000 miles.

Thanks for all the replies. Barring these systems having a high incidence of maintenance, it looks like this is an insignificant factor purely from a cost/mile.

Thanks for all the replies. Barring these systems having a high incidence of maintenance, it looks like this is an insignificant factor purely from a cost/mile.

Your 2006 CTD is the last of -what many consider- the last year of the BEST pre DPF, pre DEF engines.

*If* you feel you must trade it - suggest you try selling "private party". (incl the for sale forum here)

You should have buyers ringing your phone off the hook - regardless of how many miles on the clock!

The target for DEF usage is 2% or two galons of DEF for every 100 GALLONS of fuel. Slightly more for heavy duty use or extended idle time. It should not exceed 3% except on some of the bigger 600 HP engines.

I haven't baught DEF in the box for some time but bulk DEF at truck stops runs about $2.75/gal. I think the last time I got def was in Alabama somewhere.

DEF should be at the very very bottom of the list when considering engines. Actually it shouldn't be on the list at all.

You haven't been towing very much? DEF usage will be more when towing versus running empty.

Howdy,

We've been looking at some new 1 ton trucks recently as a replacement for our 2006, 2500 CTD.

Regarding DEF in general and in a 2016 1-ton RAM truck specifically, you might find interesting to read Emily Fagan's great, encyclopedic post on the subject here: http://roadslesstraveled.us/how-to-put-def-diesel-exhaust-fluid-in-a-truck-cheapest-brand/

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Archived