Winds up to 70 mph

Fun2travel

A few nights ago a big storm blow thru the area I'm in. I left the bedroom slide out, but retracted the other 3 on my 5er. No idea if it made any difference or not. It added weight to the center line of the coach and reduced the exposed surfaces along with making it easier to grab the dog if we needed to get out. I also told my wife where we would evacuate to if needed and she prepped a small go bag.

We would bring our slides in as a gust hitting them could lift them off the guide rails on our fiver. Put the TV antenna down too if it is up.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

obviously all awnings should be stowed, and if any of your slides have slide toppers I would consider closing the slides if possible. Over the years we have lost an awning and a slide topper in winds and they weren't anywhere near 70 mph. Also suggest looking outside of your rig for any potential flying objects like lawn chairs, small tables, BBQ, sewer hose, bikes, etc. I would guess 70 mph could turn seemingly innocuous objects into dangerous missiles. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

If you have the option, and I know it's a big if, point your rig in the general direction the winds are forecasted to come from. If your slides have the awnings that cover them, they should come in. And not to be captain obvious, your big awning should come in, even if you have it anchored and covered in "de-flappers".

Camp chairs and patio mats will turn into missiles with a 70 mph wind. Really just about anything we as campers set out will.

(On edit: Jay types faster than me. Didn't intend to belabor the same points.)

2012 New Horizons Majestic | 2022 F-550 W/Classy Chassis Hauler Bed

Full Time Class of 2012 | Escapee #98787

BLOG: www.CuRVWander.blogspot.com

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10757;450/st/20120615/e/Begin+Fulltiming/k/f42e/s-event.png

Tuck in beside a building or park vehicles on either side to disturb wind flow. I've seen semis and half mobile homes blown off the road on an overpass by Douglas Wyoming. Winds were strong Westerlies. The only obstruction the wind had on the overpass was the trailer, above and below it was really moving so it hit the side of the trailers and blew them over and in 1 case off the overpass.

The weather forecast is for 70 mph winds. Still pretty new to this lifestyle. I wonder if I should take any precautions. Are there any I can even take? We have a 39' fifth wheel with 3 slides. Leave them out, bring in?

Thanks!

Fun,

Gave a talk on this recently at the HDT East Coast Rally. Now I'm not an expert but did review available literature and actually spoke to director of wind tunnel research at Texas Tech University which is looking at wind speeds especially with tornadoes etc. Good info from previous posters above and like jperry says if you have the option point the front of your rig into the prevailing winds. Moving and tipping winds for trailers are high but 70+mph is getting close if broadside. Consensus is also to pull slides in. DO NOT attempt to drive in those conditions. Wind gusts as low as 40+ mph can cause an unforeseen lane change. And under the right circumstances can result in a tipping event. Also if this event is to be associated with severe thunderstorms you are better to seek shelter elsewhere but make that decision EARLY not during a storm. More people are killed or injured trying to flee during a severe storm or tornado.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It can get quite windy where we are currently parked (Montgomery, TX... though I would swear Kansas) especially during storms when we seem to get "micro bursts" (though there is nothing micro about them)!

During one such storm the wind was so strong it was pushing in our hydrolic slide. There were a number of RVers here that experienced the same thing. There was also a NEW Motor home that could not get in their awning fast enough... the wind pushed it up and OVER the roof and peeled the roof like a banana!

With winds that strong we opt for a hotel! During some severe storms (when we opted for a hotel) Our phone alerts were going off and warning TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY... we headed for the tub! Lost power for a while but when we looked out no cars were on the road... all pulled off and we learned there were two tornadoes in our area! Next morning we went back our RV park and whey were cleaning up a great many trees that bit the dust... our rig and possessions were fine! It could have been otherwise... better safe than sorry!

We don't travel in bad weather either... not even rain (if we can help it).

STAY SAFE,

Debbie

2000 Volvo 770 Auto Shift/ 2L Custom Hauler Body with Smart Car Air Loader
2011 Smart Passion

2012 New Horizons 42' Custom 5th wheel (New Horizons Ambassadors)

Thanks, I better head out and pick up rugs, chairs, trash can. Hmm kayak too.

We lived on the WY prairie north of Cheyenne through several windstorms of that magnitude or more. Most of what I'll say has been stated in various ways but since it is important, I'll join in.

Picking up things is not only important but be sure that your neighbors do as well since you don't want a lawn chair or other object blown into the side or window of your RV. Awnings are always subject to such winds, even if anchored to the ground. I'd also retract slides, just as a bit of precaution and to keep the wind from getting under them for leverage. I also try to turn the RV with the end into the predominant wind direction if at all possible. If you can't do that, park any vehicle that you have on the upwind side to held lower direct exposure. If the tow vehicle is hooked up, point it into the wind if possible.

TV antenna and dish should be folded down. Parking next to buildings is not a bad plan, as long as you are sure that said building will withstand the winds as you don't want debris from them to strike your RV. Do not park under of next too trees as they may become missiles. A tree limb stuck through your roof could ruin your whole day! Large shrubs are a good windbreak but leave enough space so that they don't rub against the side of the RV. A solid fence is only as good as it's condition and repair. A block or brick fence is a good shield but leave enough space so that if it should topple, it won't strike your RV.

Be very careful about entering or exiting the RV in high winds. A slammed door can break an arm and one jerked open can throw you across the park! Blowing trash cans or other things in the park can be hazardous to you and the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We're a light 40' DP at about 37-38K lbs. We have air leveling, vs jacks. We have two driers side slides, with toppings.

We're 30 miles South of Bismarck, ND alongside the Missouri River. We had three thunderstorm fronts blow thru the region last night. We were lucky as the bulk of each of the the storm clusters, segmented around our immediate area. We got the strong winds of the leading edge of the storms, as well as quite a light show.

About 8 miles to our South, a 70' power tower went down, and this rippled into a 20 min or so power outage. 12-15 miles North of us, also on the Missouri, 30+ trees, and major 10"+ diameter limbs of trees came down. The park range that came in to check on us, said that a 'tear drop, but bigger' travel trailer was tipped on it's side. (I'm thinking R-Pod or TAB like?)

In our park, we had an intense burst of wind and rain (no hail) at about 1:00PM. Strongest wind we've been in over he last 11-12 years. Our two slides were out, and the luckily the toppers did fine. Could hear them, but from time to time, but we'd just put on new toppers earlier this year, and we set the springs (Carefree Omega II, topper and window awning combo.) a bit tighter then they had been before. I elected to not use my lines timed over them and around the bottom of the slides, as I did not want to need to go out and untie them, in the event of needing to bring in the slides. Good thing, as after the intense micro burst of wind, we did bring in the larger and deeper front slide. Left the bedroom out.

We had much few trees down, but some good size limbs of 10"+ and 15-20' long, blown 30-450 feet away from the trees the snapped off of. Only us, and another smaller 1/2 pull-able Fiver. And, two gents traveling via bicycles. The RV and Fiver were not hit with limbs or trees, close, but no contact. One of the gents in his personal tent, was hit by tree limb, no damage and he was not hurt. His buddy? His tent was picked up, and moved 4-5', and he was "tumbled dried" as it rolled and flipped. He too was 'shaken but not hurt'. When I went outside reconnect to shore power (We saw the light show heading out way, so I unplugged the shore cord.), I noted the two gents up and moving around with their flashlights, and went to check on them. This is when the told me what had happened to them. The one tent that went flying, had damaged poles. We had them come over, and offered to have them to come into our coach with us. (Radar Forecast showed another front due in about 30-45 mins, and we were all frankly a big nervous:)!). They said they just wanted to have something hard around them, but did not want to barge in on us. So I unlocked our CRV, and they spent several hours inside, with a promise by them that if another intense lightening or wind storm seemed to be close to on us - that they would come into our coach. Left the front door unlocked, the porch light on, and said use their own judgement to come in when they felt they should. Only asking them to knock loud first, so we could grab out dog (Would not hurt them, but she is scared easily and did not want her to bolt.)

The next storm missed us by about 4 miles. Strong winds, heavy rain, very jagged strikes and claps of thunder. (Kept looking for a witch on a bike with a dog in the basket, but she never showed.). After this blew thru, knowing the forecast was better for the rest of the night, the gents went back to their campsite and buddied up in the remaining tent. They headed out today, North to Bismarck, and commented that they thought they would spoil themselves tonight with a hotel room:)!

Us? Well we think we did everything OK. By luck our back was pointing mostly towards the wind at a slight angle, with the two drivers side slides partially shielded from the wind. Except for the micro burst, as it seemed that the trees were blowing, bending and making noises in all directions at the same time:)! One thing we'll do next time, is when we go to bed, if we have any idea (This storm was much stronger then had been anticipated in this area. It was severe storm watches 30-40 miles North of Bismarck, 60-70 miles away from us.) we'd bring the big slide in at that time. And, I forgot to take the Travler Dish down, it survived, but it would have been better to have brought down to. We did have our, bug out kit ready, and the dogs harness was on. We knew exactly where, and the route we'd take, to the brick restroom shelters. (And, a few smaller tornados did touch down within a 25 mile radius of us. The Ranger said that the winds at the park to our north with the tipped trailer, hit 85 mph+.)

Our Weather Bug Alerts worked, multiple times during the night.

Why so long winded (Yeah, pun intended.), because one it was for us guys from San Diego something we're not used to... I've always read great posts by those of you that have more storm experience. And I wanted to thank all of you that share your knowledge. And do feel it is important for anyone RV'ing to have a plan, think storm safety when out and about.

Best to all, be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Lots of good advice already. We were able to close our slide and point into the wind the night we had 70 mph winds but the wind changed direction during the night. Since we were in the desert in a small Class C we repointed. We weren't sleeping, anyway.

If you have a 5th wheel, I've been told hitching the truck to the trailer can act as an anchor.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We lived on the WY prairie north of Cheyenne through several windstorms of that magnitude or more. Most of what I'll say has been stated in various ways but since it is important, I'll join in.

Picking up things is not only important but be sure that your neighbors do as well since you don't want a lawn chair or other object blown into the side or window of your RV. Awnings are always subject to such winds, even if anchored to the ground. I'd also retract slides, just as a bit of precaution and to keep the wind from getting under them for leverage. I also try to turn the RV with the end into the predominant wind direction if at all possible. If you can't do that, park any vehicle that you have on the upwind side to held lower direct exposure. If the tow vehicle is hooked up, point it into the wind if possible.

TV antenna and dish should be folded down. Parking next to buildings is not a bad plan, as long as you are sure that said building will withstand the winds as you don't want debris from them to strike your RV. Do not park under of next too trees as they may become missiles. A tree limb stuck through your roof could ruin your whole day! Large shrubs are a good windbreak but leave enough space so that they don't rub against the side of the RV. A solid fence is only as good as it's condition and repair. A block or brick fence is a good shield but leave enough space so that if it should topple, it won't strike your RV.

Be very careful about entering or exiting the RV in high winds. A slammed door can break an arm and one jerked open can throw you across the park! Blowing trash cans or other things in the park can be hazardous to you and the RV.

I was typing as you were posting. Enjoyed reading your tips. As I commented in my post, I missed putting down our dish (Usually do, but again spaced out on tis one.) And yes to the damage that tree limbs can do.

I wanted give this parks Ranger (No hosts, and the Rangers cover many parks, so no one in this small campground.) a salute. When he came to check on us, and the other gent in his 5th Wheel - he made sure that we all knew where the shelter rest rooms were. Encouraged us to use them if we had any doubts at all, and not wait until we 'had to use them'. (I will send an email to the COE on his good job.)

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

A retired math teacher on another forum calculated the side wind necessary to turn his 5er over, he said it was 80 MPH. That may be, but I'm not gonna tempt mother nature. When winds get high enough to rock the RV, I'm already in the storm shelter. RV has slide retracted, nothing that was extended was left that way. As to wind-borne objects hitting my RV, that's why I pay insurance. Anything I bought can be replaced with more money, our lives cannot.

When storms are forecast, my first question of the CG office at checkin is "where's your storm shelter?"

My CB radio's national weather channels always get at least one station, so I already know the forecast before check-in.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Here is an interesting read that gives some info. Also some more recent data from University of Kansas supports some of the crosswind speeds mentioned by Ray above. Final verdict. I'm not going to ride out KNOWN forecast winds of 70 mph sitting in my RV unless there is no choice. The gusts could be much higher. Ray's suggestion to leave early is still the best.

https://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/50675.pdf

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

http://www.weather.gov/media/iwx/webpages/skywarn/Beaufort_Wind_Chart.pdf

70MPH wind is a dangerous wind if you are broadside you may be on your side.You do not wnat to be in a Rv at those wind speeds.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Agree with the best way to handle dangerous winds is to not be there!!! The forecasts was for chance of thunderstorms, with hour by hour forecasts showing high winds of 21 MPH. Up to the North, in the Devils Lake area, they had Thunder Storm warnings, with potential of stronger winds and possible hail.

Well weather forecasting, as much as it has improved, continues to sometimes 'stump the forecasters (Well, computer models.)'. The Ranger commented that they had no warnings of any potential risks of this severe of a storm front in the area.

By the time the Alert came on, we had the first storm almost on us, so too late to head out. (Plus, we'd celebrated a Birthday with Martini's, and a good bottle of wine (A real treat after Box Wine:)! - so moving would not have been wise, or legal!)

It's these kinds of times that knowing how to minimize, and then doing so, is about the best that you can do. The Microcell Burst (My term, probably not a weather professionals description.) that hit us last, was twice as strong of winds as the two earlier ones. If we had known we had a risk of that strong of wind, we'd had moved over to the Shelter Pit Toilet structure until it had blown thru. Always better to be safe, then sorry!

The only time we've come close to this, was at Cherry Creek State Park near Denver. Sirens went off, we could see the wind funnels and greenish looking sky as we drove from out site to the larger block concrete shower structure in that park. Joined by several others. The winds in that storm, were maybe 1/2 as strong as what we encountered here in North Dakota.

Yep, heading out and moving on would have been the way to go - if we had known:)!

And I admit, my wife and I being mostly from the San Diego area, traveling in regions with this kind of activity is new to us - so to us what seemed quite extreme, would be just another storm to the locals:)! (You can see by all of the old healed brakes of tree limbs, and stumps of remaining trees, that this park had had previous winds!)

Travel safe, have fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Smitty,

Please don't take any of my posts as condemnation of any of your actions. You just mitigate your risks as best you can and it sounds like you did the best you could under the circumstances. I was raised in North Texas and know that a microburst can reek havoc like a tornado. Just glad you made it through unscathed. If traveling cross country, when we stop at a campground, we always ask about the nearest shelter and specifically what county we are in because most warnings are county specific.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Smitty,

Please don't take any of my posts as condemnation of any of your actions. You just mitigate your risks as best you can and it sounds like you did the best you could under the circumstances. I was raised in North Texas and know that a microburst can reek havoc like a tornado. Just glad you made it through unscathed. If traveling cross country, when we stop at a campground, we always ask about the nearest shelter and specifically what county we are in because most warnings are county specific.

No problem!!! And great to remind about knowing the County you're in. (We did, and do, at any signs of weather.) And, I should correct the wrong word usage. We went from nothing but chance of rain, 30%, at about 2:00PM. To our first Thunder Storm Watch (I had said Warning.) at just about 7:50PM. It was not until towards the end of the second storm, that it was raised to a Warning. But, the forecast on radar showed the activity to be forecasted to head North of us and actually North of Bismarck. Apparently these storms do not read the forecasts and projected courses:)!

As the Range said, if they had had any indication of what was coming here, and more so to the Park 10-15 miles North of us - they would have driven the area to caution campers. The two gents on the bicycles, had used the same forecasts we had, when stopping at this park. And one of them said they looked at the forecasts and the projections of radar before going to bed in their two tents... So, we were in good company, as we were all surprised... And that is just the way Mother Nature plays sometimes~!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

As the Range said, if they had had any indication of what was coming here, and more so to the Park 10-15 miles North of us - they would have driven the area to caution campers. The two gents on the bicycles, had used the same forecasts we had, when stopping at this park. And one of them said they looked at the forecasts and the projections of radar before going to bed in their two tents... So, we were in good company, as we were all surprised... And that is just the way Mother Nature plays sometimes~!

Yup. What they forecast we can prepare for. What we get we have to live with.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Lots of great advice above. We are also from North TX and have experienced the winds. One thing that I like to do is to fill the fresh tank and avoid dumping the other tanks. The logic here is simply to add weight at a lower center of gravity. Haven't really heard anyone else mention this but was just something I liked to do. It also is good preparedness in case the water supply becomes compromised.

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

Great thread and advice. Many of the suggestions I had not thought of, but make sense. I think I will make a check list for bad weather like I have for setting up and tearing down. When we have a lot going on we have a tendency to forget the obvious. I would remember the awning and lawn chairs but forget the antennas, etc. I also would not have thought to know what county I was in. Again, good advice. Thanks

Kathryn

2011 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser 35p

2016 Ford Focus

Your RV is also less vulnerable if it has leveling jacks down, or even some of those screw jacks that some travel trailers carry. You don't want to lift it off of the ground, but prevention of any ability to rock will help because the rocking can start the process of tipping over. If possible, keep it from ever starting to move. Our travel trailer came with the tongue jack and two stabilizer jacks on the rear corners. I also carry a set of 4 of the screw type jacks and when parked for long stays or when severe weather is expected, I place additional jacks, one under each front corner and one under the frame, just ahead of the axle. I don't take significant weight on them, just snug them down to prevent any movement. The more solid your RV sits when you walk about inside the less movement it will have in a high wind.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We would also hitch up the fiver when really bad winds were coming, we wanted it to be as hard to pick up as possible! All jacks down, and wheels chocked - mainly to keep any rocking to a minimum since that can make tipping a lot more likely.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We would also hitch up the fiver when really bad winds were coming, we wanted it to be as hard to pick up as possible! All jacks down, and wheels chocked - mainly to keep any rocking to a minimum since that can make tipping a lot more likely.

With our setup, my HDT would add 25,000 pounds of weight to hopefully "stabilize". The problem is that if the trailer DOES tip then my truck goes over too. (The pin and ET hitch won't let loose) Wind studies show my truck alone is less likely than the trailer to tip so in my case I would probably not hitch up. But again that would be personal choice.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived