Multiple Blowouts!

jperry29

...Still does not explain my previous blowouts on tires that were less than three years old...

...TrailerTraveler - If I blow one tire the other five are rated such that I still have excess capacity. I've had each tire weighed individually and my load balance is not out of whack...

Thinking more about your statement, I really do not think that the weight that was on the blown out tire is distributed across the remaining five. It is on the two remaining tires on the same side as the blow out. I would also think that if the trailer listed at all to the side of the blow out, the weight on that side would actually increase slightly over the weight with all three tires functional. By my way of thinking, the weight on each side of the trailer would have to be less than 6840# for ST235/80R/16 Load Range E tires (6000# for D's) to not be overloaded if one tire blew out.

To requote from the Carlisle Tire document Ray linked to: "If one tire fails, the remaining tires will be required to suddenly compensate by supporting the increased load. This increase of weight may overload the other tires causing a chain reaction blowout or other internal structural damage. After a blowout, check the other tires for damage and replace all tires on the side of the blowout."

FYI

MorRyde IS DOES require alignment and alignment check on occasion.

That may not have been the problem but it is important for you to know about your systems maintenance.

MorRyde IS Information...

Product page with various product information

IS Alignment Guide

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

TrailerTraveler - If I blow one tire the other five are rated such that I still have excess capacity. I've had each tire weighed individually and my load balance is not out of whack.

When one tire failed, its load was assumed by the other 2 on that side. Are you saying those 2 tires had the capacity to assume the load of the failed tire? None of that load can be transferred to the wheels on the opposite side of the trailer.

I just spotted traveltrailers post with identical information, I'm a day late and a dollar short.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Our trailer only has about 1 1/4" between the tires. That is way it came from Teton and we are using XPS Ribs. Would the tires on your trailer be closer than that?

and the XPS Ribs are taller than the Marathons. I lost some clearance when I went to them from Marathons. So he should have no problem going to 17.5

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

If I could get an LT that would fit I would do it in a heart beat. All of my searching has not turned up a 16" 235/80.

I don't think weight distribution or being off-level is the problem. All six positions have blown at least once. And after doing a web search it appears that my problem is very common. There are hundreds of postings describing my exact same experience.

The clearance problem between tires is a common problem - the available (LT) replacements are 235/85,

which can be a bit "tight".

Solution - if you don't want go to 17.5.....

*If* you want an LT tire - compare the spacing by going to 245/75 Michelin XPS Ribs (or equivalent from an other mfgr) vs the 235/80 you have now.

The 245 is one inch wider - 1/2 inch per side. (and same *diameter* as the GY 235/80)

(IMO) - GY Marathons have a (deservedly) bad reputation!

Only saving grace -if there is one- - GY will usually replace the tires AND pay for damage done to your trailer. Unfortunately, NO help for your down time and grief.

The GY marathon "tarnished reputation".......

SP Times, newspaper article - "Goodyear Kept Tire Problems Quiet".

You will find GY Marathons listed as part of the "problem".

Note: per GY - The reasons for failure were -in all instances- the fault of the user.

For whatever reason, the St. Petersburg Times article (and link) are no longer available.

IMO - settlement is/was ultimately "sealed"?

Many forums close threads - especially *tire* threads. The Airstream Forums does not.

This was started in 2006 - and a poll was taken in 2011, then re-started.

"Goodyear Marathon Failures" -

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/goodyear-marathon-failures-28293.html

None (except this one) are my posts. Draw your own conclusions.

I had my first goodyear marathon blow out a few weeks ago. The trailer had done 3 return trips to southern Mexico from BC so i suppose I can't complain, that was a lot of topes (speed bumps. I stayed at 60 mph or under. Thye were class D's, i just replaced them with class E Carlisle (15 inch rims). I kept the best 2 for off rim spares. I have found out from previous experience that you cnanot egt trailer tires in Mexico. I could l go to 16 inch, but then my skirt would be vulnerable to damage with a blowout.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

I've had it with these Goodyear Marathons! They have been blowing out on me on a regular basis. Yesterday I had two blowouts an hour apart, both causing body damage and one ripping brake lines off.

Tire pressures were correct, load was below limits, speed never above 65 mph. Mileage on tires less than 20,000, date stamp said they were built in 2011 (so they were a year old when installed on my new rig 8/12). These two tires actually lasted the best, all the others (triple axel, 6 tires) have been replaced, some two or three times.

My rig was built with 235/80 16's. The spacing between axles is pretty tight, I don't think there is room to move up to 85's. If I could I would put some Michelin XPS Ribs on and be done with these Chinese made bombs.

I've been researching replacement tires and it seems that everything in this size and type are made in China and don't do much better than the tires I have. One exception has been the Loadstar, it has some pretty positive reviews, just not many reviews for a good comparison.

So how about you folks? Got any insight on a tire in my size that won't make me feel like my life is in jeopardy because of blowouts?

BTW - The first blowout yesterday happened within the first thousand yards of entering the Mobile Bay bridge. I had to creep at 5mph in the far to narrow emergency lane for several miles before there was an exit.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

My tire postings revolve around established tire industry standards and the DOT regulations used to fit the original equipment (OE) tires to your trailer.
Because of the OE tire size (ST235/80R16E) I’m going to assume your three axles have been rated at 6000# GAWR ea.. The GY marathons have a maximum load capacity of 3420# at 80 psi and that psi is what they should be inflated to at all times. Their speed rating, unless otherwise identified on their sidewalls, is 65 MPH. Anytime an owner uses ST tires beyond their manufacturer’s warranty time limit they are gambling with borrowed time.
If you have not taken your trailer to some scales to verify the actual weight each tire is carrying you should do so soon. Without verification you have no idea how well balanced your cargo is on any average move.
A tire’s load capacity is critical to its life expectancy. The trailer manufacturer knows that and will - almost 100% of the time - set the recommended tire inflation pressures to the maximum amount allowed on the tire’s sidewall. (1 psi loss of inflation pressure = 1.6% loss of load capacity - RMA).
Replacement tires need to provide a load capacity equal or greater than the OE tires. That’s an established tire industry standard for any tires fitted to a vehicle built using FMVSS regulations and standards.
The recommended inflation pressures for your trailer tires - any brand or design - are not just an arbitrary value, the fitment regulations direct the trailer manufacturer to set the values to display the correct inflation pressures while the tires are in a “cold” state. Established tire industry standards will not recommend using less inflation pressure than what has been recommended and certified by the vehicle manufacturer.
Replacement options need to come from and brand or design that is actually a trailer tire. The most popular sizes for your application will come from the 17.5” low platform commercial trailer tires. They are numerous and available in load ranges “F”, “G”, “H” and “J”. A lot of the “J” tires are speed restricted to 62 MPH and the TRA does not allow any sort of weight or inflation manipulations to exceed the speed restrictions below 65 MPH.
Just about all of the major manufacturer’s build the 215/75R17.5 tire in a LRF with a load capacity of 3530# @ 100 psi. The OD is 30.2” and the TW is 8.1”.

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

Howdy!

I know it's been awhile since your first post but just read through this. If your tires are within the five year manufacturing date I believe you are still covered under Goodyear (GY) warranty. Number one rule don't discard or dispose of your failed tire. GY will want to have the tire sent to them for inspection. The tire dealerships want tell you this so you have to request it, and they will handle it. If not contact GY directly. I have had several claims with GY regarding tire failure and damage and they have paid each and every time to replace all tires including the ones that had not failed and all damage cost to my RV. Had numerous problems with GY G614's until upgrading to the 17.5 GY. Yes I contained to run GY because they stand behind their tires. I had a Michelin fail and they refused to warranty their tire.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

and the XPS Ribs are taller than the Marathons. I lost some clearance when I went to them from Marathons. So he should have no problem going to 17.5

This is just a reminder that ALL major tire manufacturers fully support establish tire industry standards.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/how-to-choose-tires.html#tab-4

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

The GY marathon "tarnished reputation".......

SP Times, newspaper article - "Goodyear Kept Tire Problems Quiet".

You will find GY Marathons listed as part of the "problem".

Note: per GY - The reasons for failure were -in all instances- the fault of the user.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/102101/Worldandnation/Goodyear_kept_tire_pr.shtml

Many forums close threads - especially *tire* threads. The Airstream Forums does not.

This was started in 2006 - and a poll was taken in 2011, then re-started.

"Goodyear Marathon Failures" -

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/goodyear-marathon-failures-28293.html

None (except this one) are my posts. Draw your own conclusions.

I always wonder what air pressure those complainants were running, since the mfgr, says to run sidewall maximum.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I pulled the Marathon's off our teardrop (1800#) when a number of of other teardrop owners had catastrophic failures, this on under loaded tires. The Good Sam club did a study of ~17,000 if I remember correctly and found about a 30% failure rate. I talked with a Goodyear exec who said China made tires were "junk",

I can no longer find the study on line but may have a copy if any one is interested.

I always wonder what air pressure those complainants were running, since the mfgr, says to run sidewall maximum.

If the manufacturer (Goodyear) says to run sidewall maximum, why does the manufacturer (Goodyear) publish load/inflation charts like this?

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Here is another article from the manufacturer (Goodyear). This is a quote from that article "actual air pressure required should be determined based on the load on each individual tire. Inflation pressure should be adjusted to handle the tire carrying the heaviest load, and all tires on the axle should be adjusted to this standard."

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-inflation-loading.aspx

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

If the manufacturer (Goodyear) says to run sidewall maximum, why does the manufacturer (Goodyear) publish load/inflation charts like this?

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

So you know what the minimum pressure is to support that load. Goodyear tire loading:

quote:

"Tire pressure should never be reduced below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels to support load conditions in order to improve the ride quality of a vehicle. The difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operation can be affected."

So you know what the minimum pressure is to support that load. Goodyear tire loading:

quote:

"Tire pressure should never be reduced below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels to support load conditions in order to improve the ride quality of a vehicle. The difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operation can be affected."

Exactly. The "vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels" is not the maximum listed on the sidewall of the tire as you stated earlier, but is a pressure determined by the vehicle manufacturer based on vehicle weights and suspension. You quoted the exact link which I provided in my second post. Maybe you need to read it.

Exactly. The "vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels" is not the maximum listed on the sidewall of the tire as you stated earlier, but is a pressure determined by the vehicle manufacturer based on vehicle weights and suspension. You quoted the exact link which I provided in my second post. Maybe you need to read it.

We are discussing load/inflation charts vs vehicle mfgrs recommended air pressure, for the vast majority of RV trailers the mfgr recommends the tires maximum sidewall pressure; like Goodyear states. In every trailer tire placard I've read, the air pressure corresponds to the tires maximum pressure.

Maxxis is one of a few ST tire mfgrs, that publish a load/inflation guide. Maxxis also states:

"If your trailer still has its original tires, use the optimum pressure specified by the trailer manufacturer as a guide."

Update:

As the OP I sure appreciate all the help and links to valuable information. In the time that has passed I have also done the SmartWeigh at Livingston. The results were that I was not perfectly balanced but I was also within the weight rating of everything (tires, axles, gvw, gcvw) of trailer and truck.

Although I was within the tire's maximum load rating, I was at about 85-95% of that maximum. That's not enough safety factor for me so I am going to upgrade to 17.5 wheels and probably LT tires. This will put my load at no more than 70% of the tire's rating plus they will be rated at 75 mph instead of 64 mph. Again, not that I will drive at that speed but I will no longer be operating at near maximum rating.

Other than paying for the new setup my challenge now becomes having access to high pressure air. The J rated LTs are 125psi tires. I've already burned up multiple portable air compressors trying to top off my 110psi truck tires. I'm now on the hunt for a high pressure portable air compressor that has a long duty cycle. 110V is okay but it needs to be small, I have room for maybe a 1 gallon pancake model but so far I have had no luck in finding something durable enough for the service.

2012 New Horizons Majestic | 2022 F-550 W/Classy Chassis Hauler Bed

Full Time Class of 2012 | Escapee #98787

BLOG: www.CuRVWander.blogspot.com

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10757;450/st/20120615/e/Begin+Fulltiming/k/f42e/s-event.png

I doubt if you will need to inflate your tires to 125psi. Look up the load/inflation table to see what it should be. We had tires on our truck and trailer 25 years ago, kept flipping the tread off even though the inflation was correct. Spoke to one of our Escapee Tire experts and he thought the the side walls had too much flex and caused overheating. Suggested we switch to LT and never had a problem again. We also found out the LT tires hold air. We would top them off maybe once a year and that wasn't even necessary. It may be the Marathons just have too much flex. At least Goodyear made good on all the damage the tires caused.

jperry29, I doubt you'll have anymore tire problems, we haven't since switching to 17.5" H rated tires in July 2009. I use a Sears 125 psi AC powered compressor but have to bleed the tank's air pressure down so the compressor turns on and hold the air chuck on the valve stem to get the tires pressure up to 110 psi. I have a 50' hose so I can reach all the RV and truck tires while leaving the compressor in the basement. You should consider a portable air tank such as these........ http://powertank.com/products/sfID1/11 Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

This is just a reminder that ALL major tire manufacturers fully support establish tire industry standards.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/how-to-choose-tires.html#tab-4

and they have been totally trouble free. Marathons were trouble.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I doubt if you will need to inflate your tires to 125psi. Look up the load/inflation table to see what it should be. We had tires on our truck and trailer 25 years ago, kept flipping the tread off even though the inflation was correct. Spoke to one of our Escapee Tire experts and he thought the the side walls had too much flex and caused overheating. Suggested we switch to LT and never had a problem again. We also found out the LT tires hold air. We would top them off maybe once a year and that wasn't even necessary. It may be the Marathons just have too much flex. At least Goodyear made good on all the damage the tires caused.

ST tires have stiffer sidewalls than LT tires. That is often the problem with excessive heat buildup. When less than sidewall max air pressure is used it allows those stiffer sidewalls to flex more, which quickly builds up excessive heat.

Archived