Garmin GPS

So it looks like Basecamp is a program for using your GPS whereas Garmin Express is a program for updating the GPS. But then you knew that already.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I use several different Garmin GPS products. I've got a Garmin Nuvi unit that we use in the toad - a "hand me down" that became available when we upgraded to a Garmin 760LMT in the motor home. Rarely do we do any real route planning with either of these devices. More often than not - we simply plug a destination address in - and let it do it's thing. We will have already decided on the general route we plan to take - and basically usie the dash GPS unit to help us as the "next turn" approaches.

I'm also a avid bicyclist - and use a Garmin 810 GPS cycling computer whenever I ride. When riding in unfamiliar territory - I painstakingly plan my routes before hand and load my ride plan into the Garmin 810 GPS unit. I've tried using the BaseCamp software for this purpose and find the software interface to be both too complex and clumsy for my tastes. I end up using one of several much simpler tools that will create a TCX file for this purpose.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Base camp will also update your device.

Newt

The two software programs are entirely different. Base Camp allows you to customize maps to suit your likes, bike trails, hiking, road trips,etc.

Garmin express is as JimAlberta said, it updates the GPS software, OS, downloads the latest map update, etc.

Both are great in their own field.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 months later...

Any unit sold in Canada, or Alaska. Units up here ship with different map packages.

OK, on the road back home now. Purchased a Garmin unit in Kamloops, Canada on the way up.

Pretty much worthless. The unit missed MAJOR lakes along the road, and several rivers!!

For those unfamilar with GPS mapping programs.....in the United States, most are based on the US Census Tiger files and then updated with maps from other government sources. Federal maps are ALL public domain, so Garmin and the other companies get them for free.

They also use county data maps....on which the quality varies. In California, I have watched as the speed limit icon vanishes since those counties do NOT provide speed limit information. Pretty interesting to see the icon just vanish as soon as you cross the county line.

I know Canadian government sells their map information. I suspect this is why Canadian GPS systems are so awful. I suspect it is the same case in Mexico. Most companies just will not pay the money to purchase the information. It also might be the case that Canadian map databases have not been updated in years if at all.

I used the GPS unit for speed limits and displaying the speed in kilometers. The kilometer decals are really faint on my RAM truck and difficult to read. Those were accurate. Side road and information on lakes,rivers and roads was awful. Just missing in many cases.

I just wish the companies would display the year and sources of the government information they are using. In that way, AND only in that way can you make a informed decision on which GPS to purchase.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

As 2Gypsies said, a GPS doesn't work well sometimes in Northern CA and AK. This is because the geostationary satellites are positioned near the equator, and the angle of the signals from them are not received clearly. Did you notice the satellite dishes pointed somewhat towards the ground? Same thing.

The first thing our AK caravan wagonmaster told us was NOT to depend on a GPS for directions. One member did, and found himself turning around in a forest with a 40' MH +towed.

GPS does not use geostationary satellites. GPS satellites fly in medium Earth orbit (MEO) at an altitude of approximately 20,200 km (12,550 miles). Each satellite circles the Earth twice a day.

Geostationary Earth orbit or geosynchronous equatorial orbit (GEO) is a circular orbit 35,786 kilometres (22,236 mi) above the Earth's equator and following the direction of the Earth's rotation, and therefore do not circle the earth... thats where the "Stationary" part of the orbit name comes from.

That said, I agree. Do NOT depend on GPS to get you where you are going. It's a nice aid, but in the long run nothing beats a good map.

GPS24goldenSML.gif

Navteq was the name of the company who made GPS maps, now named HERE.

If you want to move map data between platforms, use GPSBabel.org

Paulw, thank you for enlightening me. If I ever get too old to learn, it's time to pat dirt in my face.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived