Urgent question re 2017 SMART car pricing

s106300

Our fully loaded 2017 Smart Prime (including Prime package, WeatherTech floor mats, Smart phone cradle, six speed twinamic dual clutch transmission and dash board gauges (no JBL sound system) is priced at $19,580. Dealer says price is not negotiable. Has that been your experience for 2017's? (Of course he now knows gasoline SMARTs are about to be an endangered species and supposedly had to go to a San Francisco dealer from his Seattle base to get an open bid slot and order what we wanted so we are pretty much over the barrel, anyway). We are about to sign papers, so need to know! Thanks, Ron and Shelley

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Here in Canada I negotiated a 10% discount on a well equipped 2017

SmartCar - fortwo Prime Coupe
A05 - Prime Package
P30 - Touchscreen Package for Prime
P50 - BRABUS Sport Package
ECA - Bodypanels in Black
429 - Twinamic 6-Speed OCT
877 - Ambient Lighting
723 - Retractable Cargo Cover
J59 - Armrest

810 - JBL Soundsystem

here is what i did years ago. went to a dealer got a price, went to another dealer got cheaper price. then called first dealer, got a lower price. an back an forth started went from $485 a month payment down to $334.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Thanks for the inputs. We have actually talked to a couple of dealers ourselves - SLC and Seattle. Neither had what we wanted on the lot - pretty much all Primes are gone, 2016 and of course not much happening on 2016. We could have gotten Passion, Brabus, or Cabrolet (sp?) but did not want those models. Getting the build spot has taken several weeks and a call to SMART USA headquarters. Dealer said it was the build aspect that made it non-negotiable. He is looking at the trade in now (Loki the first, 2012 Smart for Two) so we are hoping he is generous. He was quick to point out that 2017 Primes are now "rare" and prices will go up (I am sure he is correct) so we are probably just victims of timing.

Ron & Shelley

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Congrats, but remember everything is rare until you try to trade it in or sell it.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

LOL, in this case I am counting on all those younger HDTers who will be coming up behind us and don't want a short range electric model. And then there is always Jay Leno

Holy molly.

I just pick up a decent 2015 with 17,000 miles on it for the low price of approx $5200.00 US depending on exchange rate.

Nav system, touch screen heated seats, and so on.

Lots of them available like this here in Canada. I bet it would be easy to import them into the States.

Holy molly.

I just pick up a decent 2015 with 17,000 miles on it for the low price of approx $5200.00 US depending on exchange rate.

Nav system, touch screen heated seats, and so on.

Lots of them available like this here in Canada. I bet it would be easy to import them into the States.

We want a newer car - 2016 or 2017. We were not able to find a 2016 in the right configuation or range of colors so decided to go to a 2017 build order. The difference in driving the 2016 forward vehicles is HUGE. Jack Mayer did a video that is on Gregg Shield's website (RVHaulers.CA) - very informative. We actually had an opportunity to drive a 2016 Prime for about 300 miles - the difference between that and our 2012 Passion was night and day. Amazing improvements.

Ok true enough. But are the improvments worth over 10,000 for the 16 modle year over the 15 model?. That I guess is a personal choice and finacial situations.

Here is a good read on the differences .

http://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2015-vs-2016-smart-fortwo-whats-the-difference-245448

I thought the 16 was just a tad bigger in size and everything else stayed the same. Sad to say I was wrong for the first time in my life :)

The smoother trany may make getting it up on the deck of our trucks a little less stressful.

We almost ordered a 2017 Prime yesterday. The dealer said he had one left to order but the window was closing and they might loose the slot at anytime. He may have been blowing smoke up my butt, but there seems to be consensus that if you want a 2017, you should order as soon as you can. This dealership was willing to take 4% off MSRP, saying that they sold at Invoice and that was the markup, and I forget for sure but I think he said smart offered $1000 rebate on 2017 Prime Coupe and maybe a $500 loyalty rebate for previous smart owners. The incentives were much better for 2016's than 2017's on the Passion and Prime Coupes. I think he said the 2017 Cabriolet (convertible), they had sitting on the floor, did not have any incentives. The sales person was looking to see if we were entitled to regular rebate plus the loyalty when he came across the fleet rebate program, which I had not seen on the smart web site. That was only for 2016's and was $3,750. We qualified as a business for that incentive because it was our MT LLC buying it. He said we could order the 2017 for delivery late April early May but the incentives would be whatever smart was offering at time of delivery. The fleet rebate did not apply to 2017's or Cabriolets.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Kathy and Jim - since it was a car salesman, there was probably at least some smoke blowing. Be that as it may, it does appear it is a seller's market on the 2017. Our order is being processed as we speak, and I can tell you it was quite an effort to get the build slot. If your guy has one I would jump on it now.

Flapper - there is indeed a huge difference worth paying for on the 2016 and 2017 models over and above 2015 and earlier models. You sound like you got a great deal on yours - our 2012 was around $9K (no trade in) and had about 17K miles. It is a SMART For 2 Pure/Passion and did not have anything over standard amenities (including no cruise control) but was otherwise in pristine condition. We now have $31K miles on it and other than routine maintenance, we have had to replace a blower fan for the air conditioner (expensive because they had to take the whole car apart to get to it, naturally) and we have now replaced all four tires. Other than that it has been a champ. BUT - rough ride, very unstable in wind and even the slightest snow, slow to get to full power, noisy, and did I mention no cruise control (and very difficult to maintain speed). No complaints on handling and performance in general but drove the 2016 model while fan was being repaired (300+ miles worth because of course the nearest dealer was 140 miles from where we were staying) and we both agreed it was 500% better all around. According to Jack Mayer in his video, they pretty much rebuilt the entire car.

To anyone in Ontario it looks like the electric car subsidy is going to be reinstated - $14,000 off a electric car ,nice discount on a smart that humms.

Range on the Electrics is not good. I've been at Three Point Motors in Victoria overhearing a conversation b/w him and her wondering if they had enuf juice left in the batteries to get home. Also there are not many recharging stations around yet and we have quite a few Electrics in Victoria.

I've also heard of folks plugging in their car only to have it unplugged to let some joker plug his in instead. Now what? You have a partially charged or dead battery when you have finished your business or work.

I'd wait, the same thing could happen with the Smarts that happens with boats, planes and RV's, someone may buy the molds, patterns and rights then go into production somewhere. Hopefully not China.

Farm out production of the parts like Viking Air does with the Turbo Otter and a main assembly plant somewhere. Lots of improvements, composite's , same with the Labrador helicopter so I was told.

I'm surprised some enterprising individual or group didn't come up with a decent replacement motor for the Gen 1's. There are hundreds of them sitting around with dead engines.

Yes, I know about the motorcycle engine.

• 3 months later...

remember your U.S.  dollar goes 30% farther in Canada .Find one - find a broker to do the customs /import paperwork.Pick it up at the border or have it delivered.

New could be a issue but a low mileage 'demo' is very doable.

I live near the border and depending on the dollar exchange , cars go either one way or the other . Businesses cater to the demand and facilitate the flow - for a fee.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Archived