They tried to steal our truck!

Shawn Patterson

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at Sibley at Telegraph on a dead end rd. 1 acre lot, bring it over and put it in the back yard.

Thanks Shorts! I will PM you if I can't come up with anything else.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Vern,

Makes me think they were somewhat sophisticated thieves with some prior experience in big rigs or motor homes. I have heard (can't verify) that Volvo Semi keys aren't necessarily unique to one vehicle. Kind of like a 751 key. Can anyone confirm?

All our are 2015 Volvos are keyed the same.

The Penske dealer we lease from made me a couple while I waited.

If I didn't store mine where I live (visible from my trailer, behind a security fence with 3 guard dogs at night), I'd have a Revelco installed. My department also participates in the LoJack program but it's useless in areas that don't.....and there are a LOT of areas where LoJack is useless. It's great if you live in an area where it is used, but I don't think it would be very good for fulltiming.

LoJack got my old superduty back for me stolen in San Diego and taken across the boarder to Mexico the same day it was stolen.

What surprised me was the police tracked it for 25 miles and across the boarder, but never tried to stop it.

They new it was heading to the boarder.

And mine was the 10th truck taken from the same lot in 1/2hours time

LoJack got my old superduty back for me stolen in San Diego and taken across the boarder to Mexico the same day it was stolen.

What surprised me was the police tracked it for 25 miles and across the boarder, but never tried to stop it.

They new it was heading to the boarder.

And mine was the 10th truck taken from the same lot in 1/2hours time

Wow! How did they get it back once it crossed the border?

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

"What surprised me was the police tracked it for 25 miles and across the boarder, but never tried to stop it.

They new it was heading to the boarder. "

I can make a guess at why the police allowed the thieves to cross the border. If you quickly got your car back from Mexico quickly there was likely a cross border operation going on, in which the car thieves escalated the California crime of grand theft auto into a federal smuggling felony with a harsher sentence in a federal prison. Clearly a major effort in coordination had occurred for that level of cooperation. I suspect there is an expedited extradition process to quickly get the thieves into federal custody, as it's unlikely any US law enforcement agencies would allow the vehicles and thieves to enter Mexico if they weren't sure both would be quickly returned.

Unfortunately, in the eyes of the police and prosecutors, your car is evidence. That your car came back quickly was probably because there was already more than enough evidence or that photographic evidence was permitted in that jurisdiction. If they had needed the car it would have been held till the trial was over.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

OOPs. I meant truck when I wrote car in my previous post.

I have not put a battery kill switch in the Volvo yet, mainly because I'm not sure where it should go. I like both the battery saving feature and the possibility of a hidden location or a disguised one in view. Any suggestions?

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

OOPs. I meant truck when I wrote car in my previous post.

I have not put a battery kill switch in the Volvo yet, mainly because I'm not sure where it should go. I like both the battery saving feature and the possibility of a hidden location or a disguised one in view. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking a simple toggle switch in the ECM feed. If it won't crank, a thief will find out why quickly, but no start is harder to track down.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Just an opinion here but, it's good to have some type of theft prevention but better to have one that cannot fail during normal usage as in that previous cig lighter insert or fuel cut-off solenoid, both of which would require constant current to allow normal operation.

The very last thing you need is to have one of those options fail while you're in the center lane of I-75 at 70 plus surrounded by traffic.

The ECM /fuse/cut-out that Billr mentioned earlier or marine type of lockable battery cut-out switch would be my choice as thieves generally do not like to take the time to troubleshoot either a no crank or no fire condition.. Multiplexed trucks are also very temperamental about individual circuit loading so there's that to keep in mind as well.

A real shame its come to this state in all our lives as I'm old enough to be of the generation that used to leave the keys in the ignition 24/7 in a rural community that saw anyone borrowing your utility truck, returning it with the tank topped off in appreciation.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Bruce, Sandra & Scampi cat SKP#86370

Wow! How did they get it back once it crossed the border?

I was very lucky.

I called my insurance company a few hours after it was taken. And they said if it was across the boarder to forget it.

They called me back a 1/2 hour later to tell me that the CHP was in Mexico working with the Mexican government to stop all these stolen vehicles and they had tracked it through LoJack , but there still is a chance I would not get it back the federalies need to release it and a lot of times they'll keep it for themselves.

The next day my agent called me again to tell me it was released and at a tow yard on the USA side of the boarder. Where would I like it towed to??

They figured the thieves left it and were watching to see if it had LoJack.

The battery was gone along with my fuel transfer tank and pump. They took all my birthday presents that my wife left in the truck while shopping when it was stolen. They also stole both my kids backpacks with all their school stuff. ( That sucked).

We think they where coming back because they took out my factory radio and put back in a. Better one.

They left my lift kit and expensive tires and wheels.

Alstate was and is my insurance company for our cars and couldn't be happier with how they handled it.

They felt bad for us and waived my $1000. Deductible.

Just an opinion here but, it's good to have some type of theft prevention but better to have one that cannot fail during normal usage as in that previous cig lighter insert or fuel cut-off solenoid, both of which would require constant current to allow normal operation.

The very last thing you need is to have one of those options fail while you're in the center lane of I-75 at 70 plus surrounded by traffic.

The ECM /fuse/cut-out that Billr mentioned earlier or marine type of lockable battery cut-out switch would be my choice as thieves generally do not like to take the time to troubleshoot either a no crank or no fire condition.. Multiplexed trucks are also very temperamental about individual circuit loading so there's that to keep in mind as well.

A real shame its come to this state in all our lives as I'm old enough to be of the generation that used to leave the keys in the ignition 24/7 in a rural community that saw anyone borrowing your utility truck, returning it with the tank topped off in appreciation.

Bruce,

I guess the last paragraph of your comment sums up my feelings. A thief is just a thief, no matter what you try, to keep them from stealing. I think most folks are honest, but the problem is, those that are not, are getting better at what they do!!! Our S&B farm is in Kansas, and we are gone 6-8 months a year. We have cars, trucks, tractors, ATVs, sprayers, and much more there, and the keys are close by, and findable. If they are stolen, it is by a thief. It has happened, not at the farm, but at our business in Topeka, many times. Several times, I have taken matters into my own hands, and recovered items, with some payback! Sorry about some of that, because of my attitude,

glad we have a forgiving Lord. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Well, after some thought on the matter, I think it is possible that we interrupted the folks who were in the truck. I got my ET Hitch installed just before the HDT rally and as part of that, I now have a very small air leak. I didn't bother messing with it since it was very slow and we have been busy trying to get everything ready to get on the road. When I got in the truck and turned the key on, I immediately noticed that the air pressure in the rear tank was just over 100 PSI. After doing some testing today where I let the pressure fully build and then shut the truck off, it couldn't have been more than 35 minutes at most for a full set of tanks to drop to the level I remember seeing them at. Additionally, after a quick trip around the block to move the truck out of the driveway and park in front of my house, the pressure was exactly where I remember seeing it. This leads me to believe that the truck was shut off somewhere between 0 to 35 minutes before we arrived.

What does this all mean? Not much really... Did we interrupt the thieves? Maybe, and if so thank God, but it really doesn't matter at this point. We will be full-time in 4-5 weeks and until I can get a Revelco installed, I will be using the battery lockout with an Abus padlock (as soon as it arrives). I'll use this Master Combo lock in the interim, but they are junk and can be opened with an aluminum soda can in seconds.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the support and ideas on keeping our rig safe! Anyone with any other suggestions/comments, please keep them coming!

@Shorts, I still may take you up on your offer to park the truck at your place but I have a couple of projects to complete before I would be ready to do that and will be looking for a storage yard with better security than where I have been in the meantime. If I don't find anything better in a week or so I will PM you.

Thanks again everyone!

Shawn

Here is the battery shutoff. I think I will get those nuts/bolts tack welded...

2016-10-22%2011.31.49.jpg

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

Pull the cables off the back side, clean everything really well and reinstall with Red Threadlocker (Loctite) on the studs where the nuts sit.

On my truck, there is a ground wire that is fused, normal looking #10 wire, black, that when left off the ground post, will not allow the truck to start. It will crank until the batteries are dead, but no start. (Ask me how I know this)...

We have an older Cummins, yours may and probably be different.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Grumps used to install brass quater-turn "landlord-water-valves" in the drain port of each air tank and these valves had a padlock hole that locked the valve open or closed by the lock hole you installed the lock in.

If Grumps thought that the truck might be in danger of being moved without his approval he would just lock the valves "OPEN" and then the scumbag would have to try to drive around with the spring on or..........he could cage the spring brake and have NO BRAKES........

Low tech but it worked.....

Drive on........(Why no air pressure.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Well, I found a storage lot that has a spot available with 24/7 access and lots of surveillance cameras! I am going to keep the battery locked out, so hopefully Max will be safe there for the next few weeks.

@NTPA Announcer and Shorts, thanks for the offers to store my truck at your places!

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

I installed an alarm system that uses a sim card and the cell phone system. It's all text messages. Arm/disarm with a text. Check system status with a text. It sends me a text with any alerts (loss of main power, loss of backup battery, intruder alert, etc...). Costs $70/year for the sim card. I have motion and door contacts connected. You can also connect smoke or freeze alerts. Nothing visible except the motion detector. I have no sirens or audible. I want to catch the crook not scare them off. It cost me about $350 for all the hardware. I installed it all myself (which means just about anybody could do it).

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

I installed an alarm system that uses a sim card and the cell phone system. It's all text messages. Arm/disarm with a text. Check system status with a text. It sends me a text with any alerts (loss of main power, loss of backup battery, intruder alert, etc...). Costs $70/year for the sim card. I have motion and door contacts connected. You can also connect smoke or freeze alerts. Nothing visible except the motion detector. I have no sirens or audible. I want to catch the crook not scare them off. It cost me about $350 for all the hardware. I installed it all myself (which means just about anybody could do it).

That sounds interesting! What is the name of the product?

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

Mine is a Risco. Found one on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/222270877409?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Wow, the price is much less than what I paid several years ago. I guess they've come down. The power supply converts 120 volts to 12 volts. So I just power mine using the 12 volts of my truck. And the backup battery charges from that too.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Archived