They tried to steal our truck!

Shawn Patterson

Well, sometime between 7 p.m. on Monday and 7 p.m. tonight, Wednesday, some asshole broke into the Volvo and used it to try and smash through the 6-foot security fence at the storage facility we use! Looks like they made 2-3 attempts to get through. Then they parked it back where they found it. Its bizarre!

Here's Andrea's blog post on the topic: https://stuburbia.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/violated/

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sorry to hear of this. Luckily my storage facility is brightly lit and cameras everywhere.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

From what I can tell so far, the damage is pretty much cosmetic. No broken fiberglass in the front, just some scratches on the lower faring. The rear is a bit worse. Turn signals / backup lights are scratched, mud flap brackets are bent a little and the ET hitch is pretty scratched up too. All in all I guess it could have been much worse. Regardless I'm still furious!

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

Oh, and here is the best part! The officer taking my statement essentially tells me that he suspects that I did this myself!! I REALLY don't get offended easily, but that almost made me loose my cool.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

That is really irritating that someone did that. They may have been using your truck to make a opening to get a motohome through.

Who knows what they were thinking.

Maybe a remotely located dashcam viewing the drivers area would be a good idea.

Mite be time to change storage location or move into it at a RV site.

Vern

Vern,

Makes me think they were somewhat sophisticated thieves with some prior experience in big rigs or motor homes. I have heard (can't verify) that Volvo Semi keys aren't necessarily unique to one vehicle. Kind of like a 751 key. Can anyone confirm?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Vern,

Makes me think they were somewhat sophisticated thieves with some prior experience in big rigs or motor homes. I have heard (can't verify) that Volvo Semi keys aren't necessarily unique to one vehicle. Kind of like a 751 key. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that from my visit to the Volvo dealer yesterday. Had to replace the ignition lock cylinder at last. The dealer asked if this was a fleet truck or private. I asked why.... was informed that many of the larger fleets have their trucks keyed alike. So the drivers don't have to hunt for the correct truck key if assigned a different truck.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Again, let me mention- if they had taken it, all the extra work/parts/add ons etc would not get you a dime unless you had photos, receipts, etc. I'm having the rig painted this year, and I will hire a professional appraiser to document the value.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

The truck was locked and no keys were in it. The truck had brand new lock cylinders installed in both doors and the ignition when we bought it a month ago. I didn't have the battery disconnect locked out as I only expected it to sit for a couple of days. There is some very slight damage to the driver's side lock cylinder but nothing to the steering column.

I have to believe that if they wanted to go through that fence that they wouldn't have had any problem with it.

The whole thing makes no sense to me...

20161020_084647.jpg

20161020_080525.jpg

20161020_080507.jpg

20161020_080407.jpg

20161020_080357.jpg

20161020_080350.jpg

20161020_080345.jpg

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

Sibernut, thanks for the advice on the documentation. Since everything has been done recently we have receipts for everything and I have been taking lots of pictures for "show-n-tell". I am going to look into the appraiser though.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

Sorry to hear about your damage Shawn. Where is the storage yard located. If this is not the first damage I would be changing storage yards.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

My friend runs a storage lot himself with a coded gate. He had been struggling the past couple months on multiple thefts and trying to figure out what code(s) were being used to enter the facility. He ended up setting up multiple hidden cameras and eventually caught the guy and the plate.and got him arrested, but not before the guy stole from several people in the yard and ended up causing him to lose quite a bit of business because of it. The guy was even coming in and broad daylight. It seems storage lots tend to be high crime areas for those comfortable snooping around. Can you work with the owners at all? They have to know if this continues it's going to hurt their business so it's in their best interest to get cameras up and catch anyone that is trying to do this.

It stinks because you may not have much other options on storing your Volvo & 5th wheel. You mentioned a battery disconnect. Any other options to possibly "disable" the truck from being driven that only you would know to make it harder to steal? It would worry me that you see no obvious signs of hot wiring yet the truck was clearly driven around? I assume your Volvo is an auto (ishift) that makes it easier to drive? It does seem strange that if his end result was to just get through the fence, he could have easily done it. Do you think that maybe he was trying to use the truck to maybe steal another trailer and just hit the fence and was a really bad driver? Although it looks like he damaged it both from the front and rear? are there other 5th wheels he maybe tried to hook up to in there since yours was not there at the time?

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Oh, and here is the best part! The officer taking my statement essentially tells me that he suspects that I did this myself!! I REALLY don't get offended easily, but that almost made me loose my cool.

WOW!! :o I'd be not only moving to a different storage area, I'd move it out of the area that officer patrols.

Have any friends or co-workers (if you still) work that live out in the country you could park it on their property?

This happened in Livonia, MI (Detroit Suburb). We are working on being full-time in the next 4-6 weeks, so we won't have to worry about it much longer... Having the truck broken into is reason #129 for getting outta' Dodge, especially the Detroit area. It is sitting in our driveway right now, but that's not a great option either.

With just a quick search on YouTube I found a number of videos showing someone pick a truck door/ignition in 10-40 seconds respectively. I guess this is the true meaning of "Gone in 60 Seconds!"

We just can't figure out what this individual may have been thinking. Why back into and pull into the fence? Why go to the trouble of breaking into the truck and not steal my tools from the storage box that was easily accessed under the workstation seating? Why put the truck back right where it was previously? None of it adds up...

I am looking at possibly getting a Revelco (www.revelco.com/bigrig) installed, but may wait to get this done at the company HQ when we head to Texas for the winter. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone with room to store it for us, so I am looking for somewhere with better tech and security until we leave. I am also looking at the LoJack SureDrive system which would alert me if the vehicle leaves a pre-set boundary.

Additionally, I have talked to Miller Insurance and will be calling Progressive to talk about what would happen if the truck was stolen. I've heard some horror stories and don't want to be the next chapter.

Anyone have anything to say about the Ravelco, LoJack SureDrive or any other theft/tracking products? I already have some experience with the standard LoJack as I was a reserve police officer for a while and was trained on using the tracker.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

I remember quite a while back I saw a great, simple idea for a kill switch that didnt involve the hassle of a battery disconnect. Since most people dont use the cigarette lighter in their vehicles, (assumes the vehicle has one or one can be installed) the lighter was gutted of the heating element and used as a kill switch. It only functioned when the lighter was pushed IN, so if a burglar tried to steal it, the cigaretter lighter looked "normal" and wasnt given a further look but the vehicle wont start unless pushed in. Simple but effective. Another option is a floor mounted switch that appears as a brights headlight switch. Same idea.

Marcel

If I didn't store mine where I live (visible from my trailer, behind a security fence with 3 guard dogs at night), I'd have a Revelco installed. My department also participates in the LoJack program but it's useless in areas that don't.....and there are a LOT of areas where LoJack is useless. It's great if you live in an area where it is used, but I don't think it would be very good for fulltiming.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks for the offer Denver! If I can't come up with anything better I might just take you up on that. :)

Big5er, yeah your right about the LoJack tracking. Great for city dwellers, probably not so good for the areas we'll be traveling. I was trained on the tracker when I was a reserve officer as a number of our cars had them installed. I think the Revelco is probably my best bet. I don't like the electronic stuff as much as it is all prone to fail. The Revelco is simple and effective. I will just need to find a good installer who is familiar with the Volvo and make sure they tie more than one system through it. As we are going to be spending the winter in San Antonio, I might just see about going to Ravelco directly in the DFW area.

Also, thanks for the kill switch ideas folks! I think if I was going to do that, I would use a factory 5th wheel slide switch or something like that where you had to hold that switch down while starting the truck. I have extra switch slots to the left of the steering wheel that would work well for that.

I think for now I am going to order up a nice Abus disk padlock and use the factory battery disconnect. The Abus locks are pretty much unpickable and the disk locks are very tough to defeat. Of course, nothing is 100% though. It's all about layers of protection.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

Archived