webasto heater question

runaway parents

Yes.my son was using it one night. First time we ever used it . He would get it to fire up and it would get up to temp and shut off .and would not restart. Had a truck driver tell me he had to run his about 10 degrees higher to get to kick off and on.. Just now talking to son he said when it would shut off it would shut off dome light also .Could there be a timer on this thing that he activated?

If the dome light went out and the Wabasto would not start back up I'm betting the "low voltage" warning system kicked in due to low battery voltage. Next time you use the heater try hooking up a battery charger to the batteries to keep your voltage up. This might help you "duplicate" the same situation and see if the heater runs normally. You also could just run the truck to keep up the batteries and see if the heater works normally. Just a thought.....

I think MrSeas is on it. When I drove for a living I turned my Webasto bunk heater on in November and turned it off in late March. Truck was never parked more than two days at a time and never had the batteries go flat.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Yup your right went out started truck. Heater ran fine no problems shut truck off dome light went out heater shut off. Don't have a good charger .Is there a good trickle charger that I could put on it to keep batteries charged?.And if so what would you recommend? What kind voltage should charger put out?

Yup your right went out started truck. Heater ran fine no problems shut truck off dome light went out heater shut off. Don't have a good charger .Is there a good trickle charger that I could put on it to keep batteries charged?.And if so what would you recommend? What kind voltage should charger put out?

Hi runaway parents,

I hope this idea can help you out. I use a Battery Minder model # 12248 or you could use model # 2012. It will work for all of the batteries. When to truck is sitting, I keep the Battery Minder plugged in to keep the batteries up. I have the Battery Minder mounted to one of the walls in the storage box behind the drivers seat.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I believe the factory installs this inverter/charger. It is easy to get an external AC plug for a HDT to connect to the inverter/charger then you would have a transfer switch and be able to run on shore power and charge your battery also.

Hi Rick,

Where would the placement for the inverter be ? Does the factory place the inverter in the storage box behind the drivers seat ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Rick,

Where would the placement for the inverter be ? Does the factory place the inverter in the storage box behind the drivers seat ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

Typically you mount the inverter in the drivers storage box. The location is your choice, depending on what you have in there already. Mount the cabpower someplace on the wall in there. Again, depending on what you have in there already. Be aware that inverter is a modified sine wave. Which is typically OK for a truck. But if you have sensitive electronics then you may wish to use a pure sine wave. Most people do not need that in a truck, however.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That inverter is a MSW but is one of the lowest priced inverter/chargers. I had the factory install a Magnum MS2012 in my truck as it is a very good battery charger and pure sine wave inverter. I keep my truck plugged in all the time when not in use. Here is a picture from a factory 2017 Volvo and a picture of my inverter. Both mounted in drivers side storage box.

2017 VNL

57fd32a1eaacc70e614b1360.jpg?width=550&h

b85298c2-755c-4ce0-a6aa-8dd0587671fe.jpg

As long as you have your battery charger plugged into that shore power kit keeping the batteries above the low voltage cutout setting. The heater is running off the DC side not he AC shore power side.

A trickle charger will not do what Rick suggests above....you will be using more than it is putting in. The trickle charger works well to simply maintain the bank, but that assumes no usage other than a parasitic draw.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived