Vintage Peterbilt

DIESELSUBMARINER

I am not sure if your "Personal Truck" requirements will be the same in FL or not, but I am in Kansas and just registered my 387 as a personal truck and as long as I am pulling something tagged RV, my plate just has to cover the actual scale weight of the truck itself, as the camper tag covers its weight. I did not weigh my truck beforehand, I just chose a 24K plate, which should be plenty for the truck itself. I am hoping to RV convert it (also allowed here) in the future as well, so I am not terribly worried how it is currently plated. I am still doing my research though to find out if it is worth the RV conversion as far as cost savings on plates and insurance.

attachicon.gifcampa-1.JPGHi Dieselsub;

I bought an '84 359 a couple of years back, and this year upgraded the camper to a Keystone Montana, 38 feet, 15000#. The truck has a mechanical Cummins Big Cam 3, which the locals here all call a 'straight 855'...as in, anybody can work on it. Thirteen speed Road Ranger xmission, takes getting used to, but you can always find the right gear for conditions. Single rear was rebuilt by Transaxle with a 2.79 ratio, which is great for cruising, but crawling back and standing starts uphill require close attention. Mine was built by the previous owner to haul his fiver and race car trailers. Wheelbase is 245 (pretty long), with a 62 inch bunk and the rear deck accommodates a Binkley hitch and a 2 inch receiver with standard camper electric plug and electric brake controller in the cab. Backing is easy enough but you need some room in some circumstances.

Mileage is about 9 highway, 7 in the hill country. It tows great on the highway, just okay on secondary roads with lousy pavement. The Binkley hitch is welded to a crossmember and rigid side-to-side. That, while it hasn't been a problem yet, could prove to be in the long run and will be upgraded. The pin box is a Lipert airbag type and the truck has Pete Air Leaf suspension with spring fronts.

One thing about a classic ride; the forum folks are right...you can't hide. Everybody wants to see it up close. Good news is, there are always truckers coming around to reminisce, and most of the old hands know a thing or two about '59's. Here's a couple of pics; Regards and good luck; Dan

thank you Dan,

what a beautiful Truck.This is exactly the type I am looking for and the information you provided is great.

two questions though : what is the registered GWR on your Truck and how do you have it registered? personal Truck or RV?

thanks again

Hi Dieselsub;

I weighed the truck at the town dump on a certified scale, 2 people, full fuel, at 16,900#. It's registered as an antique. Very long story. You should study the rules in your state. It does take a while to get the whole thing figured out. Here are a couple of pics. Plz excuse the one pulling the Scotty. I just had to do it!

post-30276-0-00835900-1477868588_thumb.jpg

Archived